Training 2019 preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Putting Wood forward didn't work out in the end, but I wouldn't call out the coaches purely because it didn't work out. You wont know how it turns out UNLESS YOU TRY IT, he played there for a couple of games, didn't work out, went back. Not gonna flog the coaches for trying something different. Better than to sit on ass and not to anything at all. All the best coaches in the world are innovative and stay ahead of their rivals, even some of them make the mistake of being too cute and doing things that do not work out.

Given Woods form down the back has gone backwards since his AA year, and our forward production has gone backwards per year Bev has been coach, and that Wood is one of our best markers in a team of players that couldn't catch a ball even if you put glue on their hands. I could understand the thinking behind giving it a shot. The way some people go on about that move is like we stuck with it for the whole year. Wood himself needs to get it together again soon, because on protectory, he will find himself close to being the weakest link in the back six.

Going by reports, we have likely wiped the slate clean and started off a with a whole new game plan, will be interesting to see how it all turns out. Will no doubt be open to criticism from all. A much bigger decision than a simple player position change

No question Bev and the coaches have made some bad decisions over the past few years but I don't agree they've been for the sake of versatility. The coach and system changes in '17 weren't intended to increase the team's versatility for mine - I think they were meant to prevent us from getting stale. You have to make some alterations after winning a flag as you become the hunted, but the coaches took it too far and failed. Wood was tried forward not because we wanted him to become more versatile, rather he had the attributes we were crying out for up forward. It was again a bad move, obviously, but one made for different reasons than you suggested imo.

You don’t have to change a winning plan I don’t understand this line of thinking. Change it when it stops working or maybe tinker with it but don’t blow it out of the water.

Richmond didn’t and they went ok and they will play the same style again this year even with Lynch.

I couldn’t give a rats toossbag if the coaches get stuck in the same position for years they shouldn’t be changed from a system that works.

We went from a very simple, interchangeable game style and system to what????? Does anyone know now?

It was Stringwrs fault in 17
Dahlhaus in 18
Who will the 19 scapegoat be if we suck?

JJ 4-6 weeks. Not too bad all things considering.
Given our R1 match is exactly 6 weeks away from today, he'll be a chance to play R1, albeit off the dreaded interrupted prep.

If he is good to go for Rnd 1 given that he had an interrupted preseason. I would ease him back to through a couple of games in the VFL for some match conditioning.

If he is good to go for Rnd 1 given that he had an interrupted preseason. I would ease him back to through a couple of games in the VFL for some match conditioning.
I doubt it to be honest. JJ has had some long term injuries before and came straight back in. I think he missed like 12 games in 2016 with the hamstring and came straight back in to kick the match winner against Sydney?

Shuffling the line coaches around had zero effect on our performance and was the correct move.

Wood forward was worth trying. The player was unable to adapt to a new role. He was returned to his old position.

The 2016 game plan is obsolete. In 2017 it was adopted by other teams who were able to do it better than us. We need to keep innovating if we want to get ahead of the pack again.

Bevo recognised at the end of 2016 that we needed to rebuild the list around our young core rather than top up. We hit the draft and worked on our rebuild rather than try to stay in contention, knowing that it would eventually lead to a longer period of success. Rebuilds inevitably come with a bit of short term pain. Many of you are too short-sighted to see the big picture.

Last edited:
Shuffling the line coaches around had zero effect on our performance and was the correct move.

Wood forward was worth trying. The player was unable to adapt to a new role. He was returned to his old position.

The 2016 game plan is obsolete. In 2017 it was adopted by other teams who were able to do it better than us. We need to keep innovating if we want to get ahead of the pack again.

Bevo recognised at the end of 2016 that we needed to rebuild the list around our young core rather than top up. We hit the draft and worked on our rebuild rather than try to stay in contention, knowing that it would eventually lead to a longer period of success. Rebuilds inevitably come with a bit of short term pain. Many of you are too short-sighted to see the big picture.
Tend to agree. Sure if we kept the same game plan we might have finished a bit higher, but there's not much value in holding up a we-came-7th-certificate. Hopefully this is a mini rebuild/tweak for 2-3 years to set us up for a decade of success.

You don’t have to change a winning plan I don’t understand this line of thinking. Change it when it stops working or maybe tinker with it but don’t blow it out of the water.

Richmond didn’t and they went ok and they will play the same style again this year even with Lynch.

I couldn’t give a rats toossbag if the coaches get stuck in the same position for years they shouldn’t be changed from a system that works.

We went from a very simple, interchangeable game style and system to what????? Does anyone know now?

It was Stringwrs fault in 17
Dahlhaus in 18
Who will the 19 scapegoat be if we suck?
We're arguing different things MD. I don't disagree with any of what you've said here.

Jack redpath has absolutely no ill will toward the club or Beveridge.
He has tipped us to finish in the 8 but thinks we have an uphill battle on our hands to keep Bailey Williams.

Wish this season would start already.

2016: high risk ping pong handball and short passing through the centre corridor. Heavy forward press with associated risk. Manic intensity that is hard to sustain for four quarters. Premiership but yeah need to move on stylewise. Bevo said when he first came to the club that he builds the team style around the individual player strengths. He clearly identified those correctly building from 2015 finals to Premiers next season. With that list.

The list has changed now a fair bit. Recruitment since 2016 and the style that started to come to fruition late in 2018 suggests an emphasis on leg speed (carrying the ball), going around the outside and kicking longer as the modus operandi.

Why do people ask this?
Just put faith in the poster that it’s come from jack.
Posters don’t need to post a resume and a tree diagram of connections do they?
What are you on about? I’m asking because if there was an interview with Redpath then I’d like to read it.

If the poster has had a face to face chat with Jack then he can say so and that will be that.

BigFooty posters have the utmost integrity and any anecdotal comment should be regarded as fact.

With that in mind, I had a chat with Williams in a Footscray cafe the other day. I mentioned that I’d love him to sign up for life. Bailey was so delighted with my offer he was willing to sign anything I put in front of him if it meant he could see out his career with the Dogs. Williams was scrambling around trying to find a scrap of paper, napkins...anything he could get his hands on to cement the deal. I explained that I had no authority to offer him a contract at the Dogs but he wouldn’t take ‘no’ for an answer. An inconsolable Williams hunched over his pasta dish for 15 minutes and pushed his food around before leaving in tears. At that point I thought I best pay and get out of there, feeling responsible for the terrible scene I’d caused. As I walked to the counter I caught a glimpse of Williams’ uneaten food. Spelled out in spaghetti, I couldn’t believe my eyes...”Bulldog Boy, Bulldog Boy, Bailey is a Bulldog Boy”.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would suck to lose Williams but the reality is we have an insane amount of young talent and we won’t be able to keep them all. I just hope we are appropriately compensated for the ones that do go. Historically we haven’t been.

Remind me what State he comes from is it WA?

2016: high risk ping pong handball and short passing through the centre corridor. Heavy forward press with associated risk. Manic intensity that is hard to sustain for four quarters. Premiership but yeah need to move on stylewise. Bevo said when he first came to the club that he builds the team style around the individual player strengths. He clearly identified those correctly building from 2015 finals to Premiers next season. With that list.

The list has changed now a fair bit. Recruitment since 2016 and the style that started to come to fruition late in 2018 suggests an emphasis on leg speed (carrying the ball), going around the outside and kicking longer as the modus operandi.

Sorry no one will ever be able to explain why we needed to move on from the 2016 style we had before we even tested if it would continue to work.

Basically same YOUNG list and coaches 16-17. In fact many said we had a better list going onto 17.

The coaching staff thought they were better than they were and made mistake after mistake. Still not sure they are on the right path but let’s hope they are.

Jack redpath has absolutely no ill will toward the club or Beveridge.
He has tipped us to finish in the 8 but thinks we have an uphill battle on our hands to keep Bailey Williams.

Wish this season would start already.

So if Jack knows we face an uphill battle to keep Bailey Williams then I am sure the club knows that also.

So what does the club do now? Do they put another year of development into him at the expense of another player and back itself that they will keep him?

I have him in my starting 22 and a key player going forward but I'm assuming he will be there till 2022 and beyond maybe. I'm not sure I would feel the same if I knew there was a very good chance he would go at seasons end. Not convinced we would get rewarded adequately for another year of development we put into him.

So if Jack knows we face an uphill battle to keep Bailey Williams then I am sure the club knows that also.

So what does the club do now? Do they put another year of development into him at the expense of another player and back itself that they will keep him?

I have him in my starting 22 and a key player going forward but I'm assuming he will be there till 2022 and beyond maybe. I'm not sure I would feel the same if I knew there was a very good chance he would go at seasons end. Not convinced we would get rewarded adequately for another year of development we put into him.

Back ourselves in to keep him. At the moment his trade value would be nowhere near his value to us. So if he kicks on like we expect, at least we will get good value back

Back ourselves in to keep him. At the moment his trade value would be nowhere near his value to us. So if he kicks on like we expect, at least we will get good value back

He will be an slightly better than average player coming out of contract we won’t have much bargaining power. I don’t see where people think he is the next big thing myself

We resign him or get a second rounder for him

He will be an slightly better than average player coming out of contract we won’t have much bargaining power. I don’t see where people think he is the next big thing myself

We resign him or get a second rounder for him

Not convinced a slightly better than average player coming out of contract gets you a second rounder.

Not convinced a slightly better than average player coming out of contract gets you a second rounder.

Crows have been into him for a couple years. I think he will have an ok year and play maybe half the games, they will slightly over pay for him with a late 2nd.

And if he is going back to Adelaide I hope he sinks it up, I’d rather lose someone that isn’t greedy than another best 22 player

Sorry no one will ever be able to explain why we needed to move on from the 2016 style we had before we even tested if it would continue to work.

Basically same YOUNG list and coaches 16-17. In fact many said we had a better list going onto 17.

The coaching staff thought they were better than they were and made mistake after mistake. Still not sure they are on the right path but let’s hope they are.

When you say coaches, do you mean Bevo too?

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2019 preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Back