Training 2019 preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

And the reason for 2018?

A few things play out differently in 2017 and we were a genuine chance for Finals and more perhaps

I am not as critical of Bev or the club for the 2018 season - we were always going to go backwards
With further retirements _MURPHY, injuries to key PICKEN, LIBERTORE, BOYD, DICKSON etcetera on the back of our leading Goal kickers scandalous exit - it had to be a rebuild, reload season.

And lets be honest, the haul of Naughton and Richards is pretty good. The addition of gowers, schache, trengrove, crozier all have potential and add to our depth. 2018 also saw real positive and even surprising development of some of our youngsters: Lynch, Williams, Greene, Dale

My biggest concern was that losing our Recruitment Manager Dalrymple may have set us back to the bad days where we duded daft after draft. That seems not to be the case and the development seems to have gone into over drive.

In short, there are real positive signs - but we continue to be a very young team. This season - like last season will depend on enough of the old players helping out the kids - Morris, Picken, Wood, Suckling, Dickson. If they could all play 22 games, I would have us definitely making the 8.

I not ready t condemn anyone just yet

Our forward line still looks totally DIRE.

Gowers, Lipinski, Greene, Schache, Boyd, Cavarra, Dickson etc.

None of these blokes are capable of kicking 40+ at this stage.

We need a genuine forward and we need to pick one up soon.

Schache has every chance to kick 40 imo. 17 in 11. Let’s say he improves on the same arc. That would be 20 in 11, 40 in 22. Not out this world thinking I don’t think

But agree on the rest

If Schache was recruited directly to the bulldogs and didn't have the misfortune of being dropped into the pile of shit and covered in the stench of two years at what at the time was the leagues most shambolically run club, we'd be absolutely ecstatic with his development thus far. He's a unicorn, that of an 200cm endurance beast, who can range anywhere between the arcs and he is blessed with the somewhat rare ability to deliver the ball with precision. Hallmarks that make him perfectly suited to the modern game. English has many of the same attributes and along with Naughton will form the tall cornerstones that our team will be built around for a very long time.

Last edited:

Sorry no one will ever be able to explain why we needed to move on from the 2016 style we had before we even tested if it would continue to work.

Basically same YOUNG list and coaches 16-17. In fact many said we had a better list going onto 17.

The coaching staff thought they were better than they were and made mistake after mistake. Still not sure they are on the right path but let’s hope they are.

I think a few things happened. One is that other teams wised up. Another is that we actually didn't adapt well to that fact. And then there was the premiership hangover, we had a huge hangover. By the end of it all, over a couple of seasons, the list turned over and new players have different strengths and weaknesses and we started to explore new ways of playing to get it over the other teams again.

I know this will be an unpopular opinion but I’d like to see Gowers rotate through the middle a bit more. Some of his work in stoppages and centre bounce last year was incredible. I don’t really care if we have huge goal tallies from any individual player as long as we can get a good spread of goal kickers and our mids can impact the scoreboard a bit more as a collective.
Aye, he showed something there in the last few weeks. Bit of a Stringer rotation, he goes full bore and if he gets it, watch out.

Apologies because I haven’t had time to read this thread.

Can any of you give me an update on my boy Ed Richards? Hope he’s going gangbusters because he’s a future gun and a joy to watch.

This image tells you all need to know.

meep, meep...

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 3.45.35 pm.png

This image tells you all need to know.

meep, meep...

View attachment 617884
He’s a serious talent I think. I hope I’m right. I first saw him watching some random game as a neutral and I literally sat up at one moment and went “who in the freak is that kid”. I love the guy to death now and hope he shows the competition that he is the gun I think he might be.

I adopted Barrass from Eagles on more or less the same ‘who was that guy’ principle a few years ago and he just played a great GF and got himself a flag, so I hope for at least as good from the big Red.

I don't feel that Schache has the physical attributes yet ,but is developing and once he feels that he is able to match it in the strength stakes that may come IMO

You can’t develop natural intensity and willingness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really? You can lose it so why can’t you apply yourself and change your mindset and approach to the game.

A very simplistic perspective on your behalf. Adding the word “natural” on the start doesn’t really add to the point, it just makes your point circular (of course you can’t develop an attribute that you have defined as preexisting, but you can with application make yourself approach the game with more intensity).

So - if your not born brave, you can never be brave?

See that’s the dodgy part of his argument, he’ll say if you’re not born brave you can never be “naturally brave”, which is irrelevant to the point at hand but suits him as he determines the extent of the terms underpinning the discussion.

No substance.

See that’s the dodgy part of his argument, he’ll say if you’re not born brave you can never be “naturally brave”, which is irrelevant to the point at hand but suits him as he determines the extent of the terms underpinning the discussion.

No substance.

In my time watching footy I can't really recall a player developing their attack at the footy/man to a large degree. Especially taller guys. Most of the aggressive talls look to have that attribute from day dot.

Think Hogan, Hurley and even Z.Cordy for us. Their physical strength never really affected their attack on the ball and man.

Mason Cox is an excellent and salient example. Intensity shot through the roof last year, whereas he looked lost in early outings.

There are of course far more examples of players who go the other way and lose the aggression and tenacity that defined them as players. Most recently Dahlhaus is a good example.

I remember Hunter used to be fairly soft for an AFL player, in terms of attacking the ball and putting his body on the line. Not any more.
Gia a good example - he was soft in his first couple of years, developed into our best ball user in traffic willing to take a hit to get a clean possession away.

Schache is a leading forward rather than a pack crasher. He has the willingness to work hard for his teammates and TBH I'm far more concerned about Boyd's intensity (or lackthereof) than Schache.

Understand where you're coming from but a bit hard to be a bull when your still only a whippet. And long term you may well be right I see scope for development though will be interesting to see how it turns out

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2019 preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Back