Teams 2019 Rate My Team (Pre JLT)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm undecided myself, Plunk. I keep switching between

Mitchell, Dusty, MCrouch, Brayshaw, Hanners and Libba at M6
or
Mitchell, McRae, Cripps, Fyfe and Libba at M5

either way '5 premium priced mids' (550k+) is probably 1 too many this year. It's doable, but it will compromise other selections. I like the MCrouch pick. No reason why he won't find his 2017 SC form again.
Andrew, aren't some of these decisions going to become clearer, once we have a better idea of the Rookie strength ?

I'm undecided myself, Plunk. I keep switching between

Mitchell, Dusty, MCrouch, Brayshaw, Hanners and Libba at M6
or
Mitchell, McRae, Cripps, Fyfe and Libba at M5

either way '5 premium priced mids' (550k+) is probably 1 too many this year. It's doable, but it will compromise other selections. I like the MCrouch pick. No reason why he won't find his 2017 SC form again.
I dont like the idea of having 2 mid pricers in a starting midfield. Option 2 is very solid though

Andrew, aren't some of these decisions going to become clearer, once we have a better idea of the Rookie strength ?

Yep. We're at the mercy of rookies. Every year I panic that there aren't going to be enough viable rookies on a particular line, but it usually works out ok without wholesale changes to basic structure. Which line do you think will be the weakest for rookies?

I dont like the idea of having 2 mid pricers in a starting midfield. Option 2 is very solid though

I don't usually like it either. My reasoning is I can always downgrade one of them to a must have rookie I've missed before the first price change if either is slow out of the blocks and make an early upgrade elsewhere. If they both go bang from the get go, I've got 6 mid premo's worth of early season scoring power and will leave a bunch of GnR teams in my wake.

Yep. We're at the mercy of rookies. Every year I panic that there aren't going to be enough viable rookies on a particular line, but it usually works out ok without wholesale changes to basic structure. Which line do you think will be the weakest for rookies?
At this stage DEF Rookies .....but, Setterfield aside, there's no obvious "cheap" MID rookies either

FWD Rookies look ok ....I'm playing Setterfield fwd ATS

I don't usually like it either. My reasoning is I can always downgrade one of them to a must have rookie I've missed before the first price change if either is slow out of the blocks and make an early upgrade elsewhere. If they both go bang from the get go, I've got 6 mid premo's worth of early season scoring power and will leave a bunch of GnR teams in my wake.
When does a mid-pricer become a fallen premium ? ......would have thought Libba & Hannerbery was in the latter, whereas Miles is a true mid-pricer

I'm planning on going 4 premos deep in the fwds with Setterfield f5.
It's always been the line I've struggled the most with to get decent rookie scores.

But to be fair, only 4 players cracked the 100 as an average
Sicily $570K ....ave 105
Crisp $519K ....ave 96

So, if Williams "could" average 90 .....does the $110K + saving allow you to boost another spot to a premo & surpass the 6 point (crisp) differential ?
Initially, yes, but towards the end of the season, there will be players cheaper than 400k who will finish the season at ~90 point average. The prime example is Angus Brayshaw, who exceeded all hopes and expectations, was available for 430k during the middle of the season and continued on to average well over 100. Similarly to Josh Dunkley, available at 369k at R15, or alternatively 404k when he went off and tonned up every round including 3 scores over 130.
Of course, choosing the right player is the issue.

The value of him as a player is ultimately what matters, though. If there is a few hundred thousand spare, him, Weller, Newman or Hill are available to boost on the field scoring, but if a player - who is guaranteed to score similar to what Williams is projected to score - is available, the most point generation can be earned in the short term and allows for more flexibility regarding D7s in the long-term.

Initially, yes, but towards the end of the season, there will be players cheaper than 400k who will finish the season at ~90 point average. The prime example is Angus Brayshaw, who exceeded all hopes and expectations, was available for 430k during the middle of the season and continued on to average well over 100. Similarly to Josh Dunkley, available at 369k at R15, or alternatively 404k when he went off and tonned up every round including 3 scores over 130.
Of course, choosing the right player is the issue.

The value of him as a player is ultimately what matters, though. If there is a few hundred thousand spare, him, Weller, Newman or Hill are available to boost on the field scoring, but if a player - who is guaranteed to score similar to what Williams is projected to score - is available, the most point generation can be earned in the short term and allows for more flexibility regarding D7s in the long-term.
IIRC Brayshaw started last season at $315k ..... I had him my team most of the PS

But I was talked out due to his concussion history .... just proves injury history often is just that ... history

Setterfield, Cavarra, McAdams, Corbett, Parker all would seem as good a chance as any to play early games, think we will be okay up forward.

I said scoring, not playing.
Wouldn't be confident fielding any of the last 4 you listed.
Cavarra - small fwd in a bottom 6 team
McAdams - choice of the lot but Lachlan Murphy was a dud cashcow playing fp for the crowies. Still burns.
Corbett - Won't exactly be raining goals at Metricon next season.
Parker - will probably just get in Lord Billings way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IIRC Brayshaw started last season at $315k ..... I had him my team most of the PS

But I was talked out due to his concussion history .... just proves injury history often is just that ... history
Injury history is most often that, yes. In a few situations - i.e. ACLs, severe brain trauma - there is an increased risk of it returning, albeit still low. Two current Blues, Alex Johnston and Sam Docherty, help prove this but there are more examples of people who have only ever done one ACL.

The real issue with picking a player who has done an ACL is the period they have had off playing the game. Naturally skill levels deplete and they aren't as good as they once were. Liberatore in 2015(?) did his ACL and in his returning year put up an average of 90 compared to the previous 110. It's not primarily ACLs which causes this, interrupted pre-season and in Jarrod Roughead's case, dealing with serious illness, also contribute to a decrease or stagnation of ability and that translates into SuperCoach/Fantasy points often.

Three are few examples where this is not the case, though. Stephen Coniglio in 2017 was injured for 11 rounds and when he returned he only managed to put up 2 scores of 90+ compared to the previous seasons average, 105, but after the regular season, he returned to his natural form scoring 125+ in the first two finals.

Ultimately, it is a very big risk choosing a player who is returning from a year off, because of injury. More often than not, they perform lower than expected.

Would’ve been silly to start a mid pricer that was forced to prove himself in the VFL for the first three rounds.

Would’ve been silly to start a mid pricer that was forced to prove himself in the VFL for the first three rounds.
I agree, but I didn’t know at that stage he was playing VFL .... made the call to take him out about 2 weeks b4 R1

Try 2 days before rd1 when he wasn't named (to my shock). Like you, i had him all pre-season.... grrrrr!!
Yes, i took Sicily instead .....which after his first suspension, i really questioned the wisdom of that selection ....and by the time injury forced him out & Brayshaw was going nuts, .......well, lets say, it was incredibly frustrating as Sicily drained my last remaining trade :(

At this stage DEF Rookies .....but, Setterfield aside, there's no obvious "cheap" MID rookies either

FWD Rookies look ok ....I'm playing Setterfield fwd ATS

Mid rooks
Valente
Bewley
Constable

If I had a dollar for everytime someone said a proven #1/#2 positioned player was too expensive.... You get what you pay for....

Number 1 upgrade target is nuts Chism. What are you going to do? Wait 8 rounds, save yourself 50k and miss out on 240 points (ignoring Captain opportunities)?

pulpdriver is right, Rucks are normally so difficult to pick. Now they're not. Grundy and Gawn are so incredibly far ahead of every other ruck, it's not even worth scrolling any further.

R1 Grundy
R2 Gawn

Work from there.

If I had a dollar for everyone who started with the most expensive players by position and then saw their season go nowhere I'd be richer 'n you. Just like Goldy going into 2016. Or Shaw, or Danger in one of his off years, or Dusty if you look beyond the rucks.

They may well finish 1 and 2, however to assume they will be far better than every other ruck is an assumption with little supporting evidence.

Both scored way over their historical averages in 2018.

The best argument to start with one or both is Captain opportunities (if you believe they will be better than Danger, Fyfe, Mitchell etc in the first half of the season)

What's important is the team you finish with, not the one you start with.

How does he miss out on 240 points? Even if he loses 240 on ruck choice, he could gain 500 by spending his savings on better value elsewhere.

Version 1.4 - 2k left

Laird - SPLairdddyyyy has the runs on the board. What more can you say? 100+ avg incoming!

Whitfield - First time owner, absolute silk. Expect midfield minutes next year. 100+ avg not out of the equation.

Williams - Too good to pass up at that price for a potential 90+ avg. Scored 77 & 119 in his only 2 games this year.

Roberton - BARGAIN PICK!
90+ avg incoming @ 297k, where do I sign Here2tellyouwhy ? Will be our main distributor out of defence no doubt.

Collins - Avg 70 as a Freo rookie with a few tons & intercept marks. Should be better for the experience. 70+ avg not out of the equation.

Clark - Apparently Geelong love him, already a potential debutant in round 1, such is his class & kicking skills of half back. Enright/Mackie mk II. 60-65 avg plz.

Titch - What more can you say? 130+

Cripps - First time I’ve had Cripps in my team as a premo. Ever. Wow. 130+

Fyfe - Old favourite of mine along with Danger. 120+

Dusty - Too good to pass up @ 563k, campaigner will be back with a vengeance in 2019, I can feel a 120 avg incoming

Libba - Best inside contested player bar Cripps/Oliver. 90+ avg not out of the equation. It’s all about the tackles with Tom.

Smith - Most complete midfielder in the draft IMO, averaged 145 in tac cup, big bodied, can run all day, hopefully 70+ avg

Setterfield - classy & will play heaps

Grundy - Too hard to pass up the Grundy/Gawn combo when they’re both genuine captain options, should only get better really

Gawn - See above

Fort - Will play games, might go Sweet for captains loophole

Danger! What more can you say? Legit?
120+ avg incoming

Heeney - Talent. Freak. Throw away the key. 100+ avg

BILLINGS - I’ve never seen him so confident in the way he speaks/mannerisms. The reason? Dan Hannerbery. I know right? But having that intel of the bloods culture & actually winning one will be invaluable.
95+ avg not out of the equation.

Greene - Loveeee Toby, again like Cripps, first time in my SC team as a bonafide Premium. 95+ avg easily

Any feedback is appreciated

View attachment 596503
View attachment 596504
View attachment 596505

That's a solid piece of analysis President Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back