Injury 2019 Saints Injuries

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's an interesting stat. Average number of injured players per round for the Saints:

2007: 7.0
2008: 8.3
2009: 5.2
2010: 8.2
2011: 7.8
2012: 4.7
2013: 8.8
2014: 9.0
2015: 6.6
2016: 5.1
2017: 7.3
2018: 8.2
2019: 12.8

We thought this was a bad year for injuries, the stats definitely agree. And obviously this doesn't take into account who got injured.

So we'd expect to see a bunch of improvement just from this regressing back to the mean - which looks more like 7-8 injured players per round rather than 12-13. Especially this should affect Sandy.
There was a stat shown on 'On The Couch' after the Melbourne game which showed we had missed the most amount of games through injury this year. While every team experiences injuries and it isn't an excuse, our extensive injury list is definitely a valid reason as to why we have struggled at times this year.

There was a stat shown on 'On The Couch' after the Melbourne game which showed we had missed the most amount of games through injury this year. While every team experiences injuries and it isn't an excuse, our extensive injury list is definitely a valid reason as to why we have struggled at times this year.
What that also shows as its 95%luck on how many injuries ect you cop per year , it goes up and down with no real trend , Face it we copped a sh1t deal this year
Next year maybe totally different

What that also shows as its 95%luck on how many injuries ect you cop per year , it goes up and down with no real trend , Face it we copped a sh1t deal this year
It may or it may not. Plenty of people said one of the reasons we will improve this year is we couldn’t have as many injuries as last year. We had many more. It’s never a reason you can improve because you might actually have more.

How many injuries, and also to which players.
We copped so many to top 10 players we really couldn’t afford to be without.
By contrast, look at the Lions this year.

And the Tigers in 2017.....they had an incredibly good run with injuries that year.....it was unbelievable.

As I mentioned with the David Misson book last night....who is injured and when can destroy yr whole season.

Injuries pre and during the season is a killer...…..very very hard to regain top fitness(dependent on the actual injury) again.

How many injuries, and also to which players.
We copped so many to top 10 players we really couldn’t afford to be without.

Have a look at our list in 2009 , 2010 and tell me how we would have looked with 5 significant injuries.

Yeah we had some superstars but the quality dropped off pretty quick

Not sure I’m remembering correctly but I think our bottom six now are superior to our bottom six then?

Not sure I’m remembering correctly but I think our bottom six now are superior to our bottom six then?

In the top 23 players back then, we had ...
2009 Raph 16 games, Gwilt 15 games, and Geary 15 games.
So the top 22 were pretty damn consistent.

After that we had McEvoy 11 games ( he was pretty ordinary back then), Eddy 10 games, Dempster only 9 games, Hudghton 7 games, Armitage 3 games, Steven 1 game and Begley 1 game. Not bad quality and only 30 players played.

2010 in the 23 we had least games to Riewoldt, Dempster and Baker ( 18 ,15, and 15).
After that was Eddy , 10 games, Armo 9 games, Raph and Steven 8 games, Stanley 7 games, King 6 games, Pattison 5 games ,Heyne 3 games, Miles 2 games, Lynch 1 game
33 players played.

So far this year we have in our top 23. Hind, 10 games, Lonie 12 games, Paton, Kent and Clark on 13.

Then we have Carlisle 9, Coffield 8, Webster 8, Steven 6 , Marsh 5, Geary 5 , Phillips 4, Hannebery 4, Young 3, Langlands 3, Joyce 3, Armitage 2 Pierce 1, White 1, Longer 1.
Total 38 players played.
I think i'd have rather a Phillips or Langlands ahead of a Rob Eddy, certainly ahead of Heyne or Miles.

Great to see Paddy participate in training today.
He was not part of the official training session and not suited up for training.
Rather in a tracksuit, beanie and runners.
But he was kicking the ball as part of a bonding session at the end of training.
Significantly included as part of that bonding session.
Seemed in good spirits, got a hug off Satan.
Hopefully his recovery is on track.
No idea if this means anything re his playing future but simply wrt his health, great to see.

Winks, Gears and Kent running the boundary.
Once they got the required k’s in their legs, being GPS’d, they then spent time running the boundary essentially playing pass the parcel with the football. Gears definitely being the Boss. The three of them were having fun, much laughter.

Whatever the faults of Regime Ancien, we are blessed to have a happy workplace. Kudos to Richo for that.

Makes the place attractive to prospective talent.

Also on training: there was an indigenous guy clearly part of our footy administration out on the field.
Seemed to be involved with the team but not part of the coaching panel.
Looked to be in his mid 30’s.
Anyone know who he Is?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also on training: there was an indigenous guy clearly part of our footy administration out on the field.
Seemed to be involved with the team but not part of the coaching panel.
Looked to be in his mid 30’s.
Anyone know who he Is?

It could’ve been Nathan Lovett Murray. He’s been doing a bit of work at the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back