Injury 2024 St.Kilda Injury information

Remove this Banner Ad

It's where the missing players are from though. Still missing mids and the ones that are in aren't performing due to lack of conditioning. Snags and Butler are a lot of our fire power and with none of the tall forwards firing we look awful. Getting the right guys back and fit will show us where we are at.

Unfortunately Butler wasn't looking too good before injury. Horribly out of form.

We were going ok then. We've progressively got worse and worse as the injury list has shrunk. Who'd've thunk?
You mean we've included players with zero tactical mindset into the 'fit' mindset?

Say it isn't so.

It's the culinary equivalent of dipping piping-hot garlic bread into a dish that has no moisture to soak up the inherent flavour.

I mean, sure, I could probably run circles around any metaphor gringo2011 puts forth, but really, what's the ****in' point at this stage of the season / rebuild?

Last edited:

We now have the best injury list in competition its a shame it came in round 10 and after so many players missed weeks of preparation. This season exploded at the end of our pre-season, when we started the year with so many players unavailable. If Lyon is consistent Crouch & Clark will return this week and both will be under done, with Clark struggling to play 60% TOG. Rinse and repeat Ross.

We now have the best injury list in competition its a shame it came in round 10 and after so many players missed weeks of preparation. This season exploded at the end of our pre-season, when we started the year with so many players unavailable. If Lyon is consistent Crouch & Clark will return this week and both will be under done, with Clark struggling to play 60% TOG. Rinse and repeat Ross.
Injuries were never the problem, and never should be.

That scenario is some ridiculous panacea for the types who like to think we should win a premiership every year, if only X/Y/Z outcome were pertinent.

If you're bitching about injuries, it's the supporter equivalent of claiming a biased free kick count in every match. Why are there up to 44 listed players per team otherwise?

Last I checked, 22 goes into 44 twice. What's that, got 4 injured first team players? Guess that means you're drawing on your top 26, and not some magical 'depth to the positional empth degree' bullshit scenario.

4 players short of your 'full strength' team? Well, ****in' boo-hoo, you and everyone else, loser-features.

Last edited:
Injuries were never the problem, and never should be.

That scenario is some ridiculous panacea for the types who like to think we should win a premiership every year, if only X/Y/Z outcome were pertinent.

If you're bitching about injuries, it's the supporter equivalent of claiming a biased free kick count in every match. Why are there up to 44 listed players per team otherwise?

Last I checked, 22 goes into 44 twice. What's that, got 4 injured first team players? Guess that means you're drawing on your top 26, and not some magical 'depth to the positional empth degree' bullshit scenario.

4 players short of your 'full strength' team? Well, heckin' boo-hoo, you and everyone else, loser-features.
This is a joke post right?
Injuries are probably the most important factor in having a successful season. Early ones in pre-season severely hamper your first third of the year where you can bank wins towards finals and having a good healthy list is critical come finals.

If you genuinely think you can maintain an additional 20 "best 22" players then you have no idea how list management works. On top of the sheer lack of that many available players who are genuinely AFL standard you will also have the issue of salary cap and the fact that players want game time and if you're capable of AFL level, but not getting any time there, you will move on to another club that will facilitate it.

There is a level of injury every team has to deal with throughout the course of a year and there is an expectation you can cover for some level of it.

Take away 4 of a teams best 22 and you should be able to cover, take away 4 of the teams best 10... alot less so.

For me its tough to assess depth and quality because of how weve been playing less than who weve been playing.

There is a level of injury every team has to deal with throughout the course of a year and there is an expectation you can cover for some level of it.

Take away 4 of a teams best 22 and you should be able to cover, take away 4 of the teams best 10... alot less so.

For me its tough to assess depth and quality because of how weve been playing less than who weve been playing.
I think it depends on where the injuries are in terms of your depth in that area that matters.
If you already have arguably the weakest midfield in the league, being without Crouch, Clark, Dow and Henry is a pretty big deal. On top of that, the midfield is said to be where the game is won and lost, so we're fighting out of our division even with those players in.

Finally on our situation, we are halfway through the season and haven't even had a good look at how our midfield with a fit Dow and Henry alongside Steele/Crouch/Clark and without Gresham running through functions. It might still take a week or two from here for them to gel.

For Richmond losing forwards has hurt, as they were light on in that area to begin with. If the Dees or Pies lost a couple of forwards they'd be in a fair bit of trouble too. North are bad enough as is, but if a defender goes down they might as well not turn up.

So my point is that injuries can hurt some sides more than others depending on not just team depth but positional depth.
Not that it excuses the level of footy we've been playing, but it has been a very big factor.

I think it depends on where the injuries are in terms of your depth in that area that matters.
If you already have arguably the weakest midfield in the league, being without Crouch, Clark, Dow and Henry is a pretty big deal. On top of that, the midfield is said to be where the game is won and lost, so we're fighting out of our division even with those players in.

Finally on our situation, we are halfway through the season and haven't even had a good look at how our midfield with a fit Dow and Henry alongside Steele/Crouch/Clark and without Gresham running through functions. It might still take a week or two from here for them to gel.

For Richmond losing forwards has hurt, as they were light on in that area to begin with. If the Dees or Pies lost a couple of forwards they'd be in a fair bit of trouble too. North are bad enough as is, but if a defender goes down they might as well not turn up.

So my point is that injuries can hurt some sides more than others depending on not just team depth but positional depth.
Not that it excuses the level of footy we've been playing, but it has been a very big factor.
Hmmm to a degree. We didnt have Crouch or Dow when we beat Collingwood.

I get your point and its absolutely right. Lose 3 of your best 5 mids and its gonna be a struggle.

I think our team is a very flat base, we dont have many, if any stars which sort of lends itself to depth being better. Weve been ravaged by injuries but weve also not really lost any "stars".

I dont know, im all in on this bullshit gameplan being our biggest issue, Ross can prove me horrendously wrong in the next few weeks.

Hmmm to a degree. We didnt have Crouch or Dow when we beat Collingwood.

I get your point and its absolutely right. Lose 3 of your best 5 mids and its gonna be a struggle.

I think our team is a very flat base, we dont have many, if any stars which sort of lends itself to depth being better. Weve been ravaged by injuries but weve also not really lost any "stars".

I dont know, im all in on this bullshit gameplan being our biggest issue, Ross can prove me horrendously wrong in the next few weeks.
Collingwood were miles off their best that day to be fair. We were ok in general, though, until our confidence got smashed in round 6.

A whole lot of things contribute. Too many mids out, and to me those small forward spots when you have no depth is a real issue. You can cobble together a couple of talls to stand up front and spill the ball but it's harder to throw together a small forward group that can score and defend the ball coming out.

The midfield and the small forwards all missing at once and then tipping over into a much less and very outside orientated side have hurt. Doesn't excuse the horrific game style but explains the less competitive performances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

. If Lyon is consistent Crouch & Clark will return this week and both will be under done, with Clark struggling to play 60% TOG. Rinse and repeat Ross.

A bit harsh, for much of the earlier season we had little choice as we had so many injuries and suspensions combined. Which is also why some players like Collard have gotten games despite not being ready for seniors yet.

With both less injuries, and suspensions too, our selectors now are getting more of a choice when they bring players back.

Doesn't excuse the horrific game style

A lot of the horrific game style has stemmed from:
1/ Inability to gather the ball cleanly. We fumble a lot.
2/ Poor disposal BOTH in terms of skill of kick/handball, BUT ALSO I where they choose to direct that ball.

It may be just my perception, but when under pressure we seem to tap the ball on toa teammate a lot less that other teams.

Is it quality of our cattle, or loss in confidence from underdone playing group? I suspect both.

A lot of the horrific game style has stemmed from:
1/ Inability to gather the ball cleanly. We fumble a lot.
2/ Poor disposal BOTH in terms of skill of kick/handball, BUT ALSO I where they choose to direct that ball.

It may be just my perception, but when under pressure we seem to tap the ball on toa teammate a lot less that other teams.

Is it quality of our cattle, or loss in confidence from underdone playing group? I suspect both.

These being longstanding issues dating back to Rat days suggests it’s a cattle problem. Not excusing that Ross has work to do with getting this side back into form, but he just can’t sprinkle magic dust and resolve list based issues.

These being longstanding issues dating back to Rat days suggests it’s a cattle problem. Not excusing that Ross has work to do with getting this side back into form, but he just can’t sprinkle magic dust and resolve list based issues.

I think its a mix, because we have played better than we currently are and we are capable of a lot more.

But we're not a side that has enough talent to win when we're out of form and when things are not quite clicking.

that sad and frustrating for Jack Hayes

Just a real shame Jack has never had a clear run. Six weeks out means if he's lucky he'll get just over a month to play for a new contract.

that sad and frustrating for Jack Hayes

Hard luck for Jack Hayes. Might be over for him.

No mention of Garcia being injured which makes his omission from both teams last week absolutely bewildering.

HTF can a kid get dropped from 1's, then go back to Sandy and get 29 possessions and 11 tackles and then for some reason not get selected in either team the following week.

No mention of Garcia being injured which makes his omission from both teams last week absolutely bewildering.

HTF can a kid get dropped from 1's, then go back to Sandy and get 29 possessions and 11 tackles and then for some reason not get selected in either team the following week.

May have had a personal reason for missing, couldn’t see him getting dropped after that effort.

It is not that unusual to give young players a week off. Especially a hard nut like Garcia who just goes in hard and at full throttle all game.

No chance he just "wasn't selected" there would have been a reason and its probably personal hence it hasn't been mentioned publicly.

He could have also just been given a rest. Not un-common for the younger guys to need a week of to get fresh again.

I think I’ve read somewhere that as part of the Sandringham alignment, there is an agreement that a minimum of 6 non AFL listed Zebra players must play every week (so 17 AFL listed, 6 Top ups in the team). So at very rare times of high player availability like the weekend, some AFL listed players will miss out. They maybe just chose Garcia to rest. I could be completely misguided with this info too, so don’t take it for gospel. Another reason to end the sandy alignment and get a stand alone reserves team though if true.

I think I’ve read somewhere that as part of the Sandringham alignment, there is an agreement that a minimum of 6 non AFL listed Zebra players must play every week (so 17 AFL listed, 6 Top ups in the team). So at very rare times of high player availability like the weekend, some AFL listed players will miss out. They maybe just chose Garcia to rest. I could be completely misguided with this info too, so don’t take it for gospel. Another reason to end the sandy alignment and get a stand alone reserves team though if true.

I thought I heard we did away with this commitment a couple of years ago?

I also could be wrong on that.

First post welcome btw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury 2024 St.Kilda Injury information

Remove this Banner Ad

Back