2019 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think Bennell is holding back a bit from going at pace? Hogan is really good with the fans. A group of people were shouting out “Jeremy” and hogan turned around and said “are you talking to me?”. Turns out they confused him with Jeremy Howe and he was a good sport about it and signed autographs and posed for selfies which is probably more than would be expected from players while at training.

Hogan is just slowly building. He's out there every session doing a little more each session

Logue looks to me completely unhindered...He is a massive, fast moving beast. He's strong in the contest, quick to recover and has a hard, long kick.

Bennell has lost a yard of pace with the injuries, but he's moving smoothly and doing everything. Can't ask for any more
Im not having a go, but where are you getting this Bennell has lost a yard of pace insight from.?I was watching today and at one point he burst away from his man during the cross ground stuff. He looked ridiculously quick. Again, to be clear not saying you are wrong at all just saying I havent observed what you are talking about.

Last edited:
Im not having a go. But where are you getting this Bennell has lost a yard of pace insight from. I was watching today and at one point he burst away from his man during the cross ground stuff. He looked ridiculously quick. Again, to be clear not saying you are wrong at all just saying I havent observed what you are talking about.

Maybe it's just Harley being a bit tentative and not going all out. His calf would definitely be in the back of his mind. Maybe there's a change in his running style to decrease calf load, we have tried such things in the past. Anyway, as long as he's fit I don't care, he could drop to Walter's pace and he'd still be a gun.

They had the boys on modified programs wearing blue singlets today. I counted 6 which included Jesse.
I didn't spot Michael Walters on the track so I assume he was in the gym.

I sat on the southern side of the ground on the wall, where the Blue singlets were and noted that Jesse was doing significantly more running and weaving work than he was on Monday. He then spent time in kick to kick with Darcy Tucker before an extended period kicking on goal.

Tucker was doing plenty of running work solo and i couldn't understand what warranted the blue singlet other than a KM's catch up.

I hear that this was the players' final session at Cockburn for this year.

Harley Bennell impressed me in the main match sim as did Rory Lobbe with one superb mark versus Brennan Cox and finishing with a nice goal.

Players spread all over the ground in various groups wearing different coloured singlets.
Meanwhile Adam Cerra continues with his increased volume of running.
A delightful session.
I was there today and last wednesday.
The modified group is Colyer, Dixon,Tucker, Hogan, Hamling and Kersten.
Hamling, Dixon and Kersten seem completely fine. Doing everything bar the main drills including twisting, turning, kicking and jumping. Dixon running a lot of laps.
Colyer told Danyythedoormen he'd be back full training after the Christmas break.
Tucker told me today he too would be back full training after the Christmas break too. He had a foot injury.
Hogan is ahead of schedule and told everyone he should be right for round one. Today he did a heap of kicking and jogging. Tracking very nicely.
Alex Pearce is doing extra sessions in the gym according to Alex Pearce and will lift his training load after the break.
Ed Langdon ive only spotted coming out of the gym Wednesday. But he might just be doing a couple of extra gym sessions. No news on the club website means it cant be a serious issue even if there was one.
Walters has a leg injury and isnt doing main training. No word when he will be back.
S. hill had an operation and will be running in six to eight weeks. THe Worst Australian is pretty bad at maths if they think that puts him in doubt for Round 1 like was printed today.
Nyhuis rejoined full training today.Meek is running extra laps and doesnt seem injured. Darcy also running a heap of laps, but youd assume that is to build his aerobic fitness and not an injury.
Every other player (unless Im mistaken) spotted on either (or both) Wednesday or Friday joining in main training. . Stating the obvious, but Hackdorn makes stuff up and if you go down to training that is obvious.

Last edited:
I was there today and last wednesday.
The modified group is Colyer, Keresten, Tucker, Hogan, Hamling and Kersten.
Hamling and Kersten seem completely fine. Doing everything bar the main drills including twisting, turning, kicking and jumping.
Colyer told Danyythedoormen he'd be back full training after the Christmas break.
Tucker told me today he too would be back full training after the Christmas break too. He had a foot injury.
Hogan is ahead of schedule and told everyone he should be right for round one. Today he did a heap of kicking and jogging. Tracking very nicely.
Alex Pearce is doing extra sessions in the gym according to Alex Pearce and will lift his training load after the break.
Ed Langdon ive only spotted coming out of the gym Wednesday. But he might just be doing a couple of extra gym sessions. No news on the club website means it cant be a serious issue even if there was one.
Walters has a leg injury and isnt doing main training. No word when he will be back.
S. hill had an operation and will be running in six to eight weeks. THe Worst Australian is pretty bad at maths if they think that puts him in doubt for Round 1 like was printed today.
Nyhuis rejoined full training today.Meek is running extra laps and doesnt seem injured.
Stating the obvious, but Hackdorn makes stuff up and if you go down to training that is obvious.

I've heard Hagdorn is an arseh*le in real life

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I chucked the shits with the freeway traffic this morning and chucked a left at Beeliar to go check out training.

They did a ruck contest drill kicking to a rotating lone forward who would then play on at goal which I liked.

In some one on one stuff the coaches would never let them just spoil the ball and walk away, always make them get after it.

I have to say in the drill trying to kick through a tight zone we still seem better at pressuring the ball than picking our way through under pressure. I.e. defense won more than not. But it seemed stacked that way.

Hogan doing a fair bit of running and kicking. Lobb running heaps of laps with Valente. Hamling is a friendly fellow.

Highlights were Sandi's tackle on the young kid and Bennell seeming relatively unhindered. The boys seem pretty upbeat overall.

I got back on the freeway mid morning. It was worse than when I'd left.

Ross led a great tribute to Liam last night at the gala ball. He lobbied for the ties Liam has designed at Christchurch to be the official club tie and Dale gave it the thumbs up. RTB was genuinely stoked for the kid.
Really, how goods that. Got to admire the young man.

I was fanboying hard last night.

Lee Spurr was telling me how impressed everyone is with Bewley. Apparently he has one of the best bench-presses to body weight ratios the club has ever seen, has an amazing tank and could be the best kick in the club. Spurry was frothing over him and reckons he’ll play round 1 and keep his number alive.
Hogan told me he should be fully training after Xmas, it will mostly be fitness and conditioning to get back up to speed.
Valente is an absolute ripper of a young man.
Had a chat to RTB who said there is genuine excitement in what the group can achieve. He was somewhat surprised by my positivity and said it mirrored the feeling inside the four walls but he is sick of the outside negativity. He said they’re very keen to walk the walk and change the perception of the club. He acknowledged he cops a lot of flack however, he said he couldn’t try any harder than he is to achieve this rebuild in the way the board has chosen.
Reckons Lobb is the big piece in the puzzle of changing the structure. Said if they are injury-free they are aiming high.

Lee Spurr was telling me how impressed everyone is with Bewley. Apparently he has one of the best bench-presses to body weight ratios the club has ever seen, has an amazing tank and could be the best kick in the club. Spurry was frothing over him and reckons he’ll play round 1 and keep his number alive.
Hogan told me he should be fully training after Xmas, it will mostly be fitness and conditioning to get back up to speed.
Had a chat to RTB who said there is genuine excitement in what the group can achieve. He was somewhat surprised by my positivity and said it mirrored the feeling inside the four walls but he is sick of the outside negativity. He said they’re very keen to walk the walk and change the perception of the club. He acknowledged he cops a lot of flack however, he said he couldn’t try any harder than he is to achieve this rebuild in the way the board has chosen.
Reckons Lobb is the big piece in the puzzle of changing the structure. Said if they are injury-free they are aiming high.
Great insight. Thanks for sharing :thumbsu:

Those ties (tied to culture) should definitely be the official club tie. I've had ties from all over the world (not that I wear them much anymore) and those are the best I've ever seen (will make me want to wear a tie). The Italian fashion houses should be all over them.

But but Kim Hackface told me that he saw Jessie training and he was totally hobbling and no chance of playing for half the year and Freo are hiding it.

Who to believe, the actually person or a muppet??

Thanks for sharing. That’s a really interesting insight from within the club. Nice to know that they’re aiming high and feeling upbeat. If you can’t be a little positive in early December after a successful offseason of trading then when can you be!?

Very jealous of you getting to speak to RTB himself!

Im not having a go, but where are you getting this Bennell has lost a yard of pace insight from.?I was watching today and at one point he burst away from his man during the cross ground stuff. He looked ridiculously quick. Again, to be clear not saying you are wrong at all just saying I havent observed what you are talking about.

My observations from three training sessions and comparing what he used to be

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Back