Preview 2020 AFL Grand-Final: Richmond v Geelong @ The GABBA (Serious one)

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s why our games so good against them tho. Our pressure doesn’t allow lace out stuff. Aren’t many times a forwards just got lace out delivery all day against us

Yeah spot on thinking about it that's right hardly any games the big forwards get that lace out delivery because of our pressure and tackling intensity on ball carrier.

I reckon this Hawkins thing is bullshit. They just don’t want him fronting the media and being grilled and him and the club being distracted by the Jeremy Cameron thing.

going to be a very tough game imo, I thought Geesook were gonski after swans game so they’ve done well to get back . They are in better form than us which is my only little worry right now , but I think we play to our potential and we win by 3+ goals.
they played a lack luster pies outfit and same for Brissy, when we played them we nailed them and port did too.

I reckon this Hawkins thing is bullshit. They just don’t want him fronting the media and being grilled and him and the club being distracted by the Jeremy Cameron thing.

Shady puts.
2020 Neale Daniher AFL Coaches Association Lifetime Achievement Award: Neil Balme
Bought the Daniher beanie this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sup guys, just wanted to get your guys perspective on what it’s like to support a great side - cos I know a lot of you used to be in the same position as me in not knowing what that’s like for my whole life...

When you think about the game in anticipation... do you hope you thrash them? Or since you’ve already done that twice... are you hoping it’s a good game?
Are you still nervous at all? Or have the last two grand finals made you totally confident?

For the record I totally disagree with people saying the premiership this year has an asterisk next to it... I reckon whoever wins on Sat deserves extra credit because of the year, not less... not to mention against a vic side.
Above all else I want to win it and from that alone I want it to be over as soon as possible. Don’t want a repeat of Friday night that’s for sure.
Before we’d won in 2017 I might’ve viewed a close GF win over a 2nd flag so would prefer to win a second one close.

But once we actually won one my mindset on it all changed. I also used to think if we won a flag I wouldn’t really care that much at all what happened to Richmond in the future. Lol. Couldn’t be further from the truth. Winning a flag is literally like a drug, winning it once only makes you want more. So for me winning a 3rd flag is more valuable than having a good, close game to look back on. I’m obviously not gonna turn down a close win but ideally the game is over at half time (as unlikely as it may be).

As for nerves, I’m pretty nervous but nowhere near as bad as in 2017. I think the club has earnt our trust over the last few years, we might not win but we’ll give ourselves every chance. I know we aren’t here purely off a huge wave of momentum that could be easily ended by a battle hardened team - in 2017 I couldn’t say that.
Also I’m a bit naive. I have never experienced Richmond losing a grand final, so I don’t know what it’s actually like. Since 2017 I haven’t been more nervous for any game more than the 2019 prelim, because I knew how crap 2018 was. The way the first half turned out that night also didn’t help.

Sup guys, just wanted to get your guys perspective on what it’s like to support a great side - cos I know a lot of you used to be in the same position as me in not knowing what that’s like for my whole life...

When you think about the game in anticipation... do you hope you thrash them? Or since you’ve already done that twice... are you hoping it’s a good game?
Are you still nervous at all? Or have the last two grand finals made you totally confident?

For the record I totally disagree with people saying the premiership this year has an asterisk next to it... I reckon whoever wins on Sat deserves extra credit because of the year, not less... not to mention against a vic side.

I was born in '73. That means some premierships when I was little (I can remember 80, and losing in 82), and then like everyeone else had to endure the rest of the 80s when we were shit and Hawthorn and Geelong constantly shat on us. It was ****ing shit (90s were generally bad but no way as bad as 83-89). Also I live about an hour from Geelong (not far from ****ing Moggs Creek) and the number of ****wits who just assume this is Geelong territory when it was never in the Geelong zone (was actually Fitzroy), and all the locals here actually barrack for Richmond, Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood. The only people here who barrack for Geelong are always originally from bloody Colac.

Why am I saying this?

Because I want to shit on these campaigners, I want no stress or anxiety during the game, I want to bury them from the first bounce.

I can ask for a close game for the purists when Richmond aren't playing.

Any chance to humiliate these w***ers needs to be taken with two hands.

I was born in '73. That means some premierships when I was little (I can remember 80, and losing in 82), and then like everyeone else had to endure the rest of the 80s when we were sh*t and Hawthorn and Geelong constantly shat on us. It was ******* sh*t (90s were generally bad but no way as bad as 83-89). Also I live about an hour from Geelong (not far from ******* Moggs Creek) and the number of *******s who just assume this is Geelong territory when it was never in the Geelong zone (was actually Fitzroy), and all the locals here actually barrack for Richmond, Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood. The only people here who barrack for Geelong are always originally from bloody Colac.

Why am I saying this?

Because I want to sh*t on these campaigners, I want no stress or anxiety during the game, I want to bury them from the first bounce.

I can ask for a close game for the purists when Richmond aren't playing.

Any chance to humiliate these w***ers needs to be taken with two hands.
I have seen us get slaughtered many a time at KP and I sat through that 2007 game at Etihad ,I had a seat that game and oppos of every club were near me having a great laugh at our club.

Our loss gave Geelong belief to win tne flag that year brcause they got trounced by North the previous week and got smashed in the media then took it out on us.

Remember when they poached Ottens also but we got Caddy so all good but we were a struggling club and a strong Geelong poached Ottens when we were down.

Seems like yesterday that I was saying to a mate of mine: “I just want to go to a game and think we have some chance of winning”.

Yes, I hope we thrash them. I hope we kick five goals in the first ten minutes and we’re never headed.

Yes, I’m nervous as hell.

I remember a lot of crows fans were really overconfident leading into 2017 GF, and I swore that would never happen to me. We could win five out of the next seven premierships and I’d probably still be thinking we were massive underdogs going into the next year.

Last edited:
Seems like yesterday that I was saying to a mate of mine: “I just want to
go to a game and think we have some chance of winning”.

Yes, I hope we thrash them. I hope we kick five goals in the first ten minutes and we’re never headed.

Yes, I’m nervous as hell.

I remember a lot of crows fans were really overconfident leading into 2017 GF, and I swore that would never happen to me. We could win five out of the next seven premierships and I’d probably still be thinking we were massive underdogs going into the next year.
I was in Japan for the prelims and GF - watched them all at a place called Bar Quest in Roppongi, also known as the Aussie bar...

table full of Crows supporters started festivities very enthusiastically, had their own private table and shisha machines... they went quiet pretty quick and left a couple minutes into the fourth.

I also met a female Aussie-ex pat who taught English over there, a tigers supporter. 20 something years my senior (was 21 at the time) - she decided she’d ask me to dinner after the game ended. I said, err, I have to find my hotel, she said ‘we can find it later’ ... then I said ‘I’m pretty broke’ ... and she said ‘I’ll pay’. My drunk ass had been cornered. I went with her to the restaurant, and when things started getting weird I did a runner.

I’ll never forget the 2017 grand final.

Lots of talk on SEN about geelong. derwayne and matt rendell discussing ways geelol will win and simultaneously combusting about how good their players are.

Media are talking up geelol in every facet. Good.

Meh, same thing happened last year. Means nothing

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2020 AFL Grand-Final: Richmond v Geelong @ The GABBA (Serious one)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back