Preview 2020 AFL Grand-Final: Richmond v Geelong @ The GABBA (Serious one)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry, no i wasnt saying they said anything like the tactics i was suggesting. They just made the analogy Richmond plays Chaos footy, while Geelong plays control.

I'm not having a go at you, so I'm sorry if it came across like that.

Agree on the differing styles.

If you're interested in how that might play out, and thinking about things to look for during the game that might indicate which way the flow is going, don't look for Richmond physically targeting individuals. That probably won't happen, because I don't think it has ever happened under Hardwick - despite the ongoing media narrative about the "unsociable Tigers".

Geelong's "control" manifests in short kicks being marked in the back half. Watch for the position on the field when they let rip with the longer, more uncertain kick. If it's D50, Richmond have them by the goolies. If it's the wing, then Richmond is gunna need something special from their defenders, because Geelong do play fast and furious and score heavily, despite the "control" analogy.

The other thing to watch there is the Richmond tackling. If Geelong can't stick the short kicks and marks, and start to handball, Richmond will treat every single handball receive as an opportunity to tackle. If we start to get tackles inside 50, we have them by the goolies.

You'll know if Geelong has the flow of play. Richmond won't be able to get their hands on the ball.

If you're interested in how that might play out, and thinking about things to look for during the game that might indicate which way the flow is going, don't look for Richmond physically targeting individuals. That probably won't happen, because I don't think it has ever happened under Hardwick - despite the ongoing media narrative about the "unsociable Tigers".

Geelong's "control" manifests in short kicks being marked in the back half. Watch for the position on the field when they let rip with the longer, more uncertain kick. If it's D50, Richmond have them by the goolies. If it's the wing, then Richmond is gunna need something special from their defenders, because Geelong do play fast and furious and score heavily, despite the "control" analogy.

The other thing to watch there is the Richmond tackling. If Geelong can't stick the short kicks and marks, and start to handball, Richmond will treat every single handball receive as an opportunity to tackle. If we start to get tackles inside 50, we have them by the goolies.

You'll know if Geelong has the flow of play. Richmond won't be able to get their hands on the ball.
The only player we target is the opposition player with the ball. That's where most of our hits and "unsociableness" comes into play.

Our blokes aren't dickheads like Duursma running 30m and giving it to another player.

Sup guys, just wanted to get your guys perspective on what it’s like to support a great side - cos I know a lot of you used to be in the same position as me in not knowing what that’s like for my whole life...

When you think about the game in anticipation... do you hope you thrash them? Or since you’ve already done that twice... are you hoping it’s a good game?
Are you still nervous at all? Or have the last two grand finals made you totally confident?

For the record I totally disagree with people saying the premiership this year has an asterisk next to it... I reckon whoever wins on Sat deserves extra credit because of the year, not less... not to mention against a vic side.

I’ve pretty much had footy disappoint for 35 years that I can remember so 2017 finals series was a culmination of mass anxiety and the unknown. 2018 was a quick slap back into the dark old days of losing important games. 2019 I felt like we’d win, but not as easily as we did and was the best day at the football you could ever imagine, a full half of free scoring footy to soak it all in on a nice spring day.

This year it’s hard to gauge my feelings as it kind of feels distant, but I have built up belief and knowledge that I know the team will play to their peak so I’m not in fear of that. My fears lie in umpire calls and being behind on the scoreboard, if you fall 3 goals behind you know it’s only 1 goal away from being over, so that’s probably peak anxiety.

Feeling nervous, but I have always been nervous for every finals campaign over the last 4 years. Heck I even get nervous for team in the Granny when we aren't playing! I was nervous at 3qtr time last year against the Giants!

Being nervous because there is so much at stake is normal. I expect Geelong to come out all guns blazing, why wouldn't you, it's a Grand Final. We stick to our game plan, structure and the intensity we have brought most of the year and we will be hard to beat. I expect a tough game, it would be great to have a fitting Grand Final for 2020.

Nervous, but excited and proud.
I'm actually more nervous this GF than the 2017 and 2019 GF's.

In the 2017 GF I was just happy we made the Grand Final. We exceeded my expectations that year after finishing 13th the previous year. I wanted the win obviously, but the idea of us losing didn't really hurt.

Going into the 2019 GF I was going in very confident. We had GWS measure at the MCG and they were cooked from a hard slog from the Pies the previous week.

I'm really nervous about this GF though. While we played well to get the wins against the Saints and Port, Geelong managed to get over the Pies and Brisbane very easily and are in better form. We also had to travel and play in the wet against Port which could mean Geelong recovers better.

Lastly we are at the tail end of this era/playing group. If we lost at the GF in 2017 I could confidentially say "Well, there's always next year". If we lose this GF I will be thinking "Did we just blow our last shot for the premiership with this playing group?"

That is why I'm nervous. I think this is a game which Geelong should go in as slight favourites.

Last edited:
we've seen paddy in the midfield and paddy in the forward line, maybe scott's master stroke secret tactic is to throw paddy into defence to clunk intercept marks and put taylor at FF? man i would love to see that

In 2017 I bet a random amount of $250 on tigers h2h every game no matter the odds from about round 12 onwards. I profited nicely that year!

In 2018 I did the same up until the finals started because I went to America... the lucky bets stopped... the results showed 🥶

in 2019 I Returned to betting $250 from round 1 all the way to the GF! Happy days!!

This year I have been a little inconsistent with betting tigers, sometimes the $250, sometimes more, sometimes not at all...
Safe to say I have bet the lucky $250 on Richmond this week!

it’s a omen!!🐯🐯

I also bet Richmond for flag when we got out to $9 early in the year.. I’m tempted to lay some off on cats so I win a bunch either result but I just think we win!!

In other words I’m paying you for Richmond to win and the bookies are taking 10% haha Feels better that way 😂

I'm actually more nervous this GF than the 2017 and 2019 GF's.

In the 2017 GF I was just happy we made the Grand Final. We exceeded my expectations that year after finishing 13th the previous year. I wanted the win obviously, but the idea of us losing didn't really hurt.

Going into the 2019 GF I was going in very confident. We had GWS measure at the MCG and they were cooked from a hard slog from the Pies the previous week.

I'm really nervous about this GF though. While we played well to get the wins against the Saints and Port, Geelong managed to get over the Pies and Brisbane very easily and are in better form. We also had to travel and play in the wet against Port which could mean Geelong recovers better.

Lastly we are at the tail end of this era/playing group. If we lost at the GF in 2017 I could confidentially say "Well, there's always next year". If we lose this GF I will be thinking "Did we just blow our last shot for the premiership with this playing group?"

That is why I'm nervous. I think this is a game which is Geelong should go in as slight favourites.
It's all about recovery when it comes to winning finals. Last year we got GWS after torrid successive games so their recovery was compromised and that played to our advantage. I would have thought that with shorter quarters this year the recovery wasn't going to be as much of an issue, but it has for teams like Colonwood who had to come back from Perth and expend everything to get over the line. We're in a similar boat, our players looked genuinely tired in the last few minutes. Hoping the extra day to recover, the fact that it wasn't Perth that our players will be ok.
All things considered, I think Richmond will struggle to win........

by more than 6 goals making it our closes grand final result since the 70s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s much harder to execute a control game in the wet, quietly confident

I was watching one of the footy shows... They compared Geelong game style as Control, and Richmonds game style as Chaos. Not a bad analogy. Geelong does like structure and control, while Richmond just loves to play the game fast.

How does Chaos undermine control? How does Richmond throw Geelongs patient game style into chaos? Violence, aggression. And target specific players.

How can Richmond target so effectively with violence and so upset Geelong they get dragged into chaos? Which Geelong team members are going to get the most reaction from other Geelong players if they get beaten up? ABLETT is one. Geelong will go ballistic if he is beaten up, head highs, late tackles, shirt fronts etc.

Who else would draw Geelong into a fracas like taregting Ablett would do? Not Selwood, he loves the sht. Hawkins?

Im pretty sure Richmond are going to be happy to play the bad guy role, the bullies role on Saturday. All those talks by the pool, kids playing with eachother will mean squat.

I predict Richmond will bully Ablett and certain Geelong players. They will bully, and fk with Geelongs head, with spot fires of players fighting all over the park, till Geelong lose their cool and play a Richmond prefered chaos game.

Bring it on!

We don’t play that way at all! We never target players, we play the ball and the contest hard and worry about our game that’s it. Don’t buy into the media spun BS about bullying and Targeted aggression - it’s absolute crap

Last edited:
Heard an updated weather report, around 20deg game time, but also a 20deg dew point, so its going to be as slippery as a Dan Andrews press conference.

Should suit our move it on at all cost game versus the alleged precision game by the Cats.

according to BOM at 7pm sat night - temp 23 but dew point at 17 - I'm no weather expert - does that mean it only starts getting dewy when temp reaches 17 degrees? this seems unlikely.

I'm not even sure how reliable this is - it always seems slippery up there at game time and more so after half time - even thought the temp hasnt reached the dew point. This could be sweat / humidity?

Also - looking at the chart below - thunderstorms are a chance

1603249375316.png

according to BOM at 7pm sat night - temp 23 but dew point at 17 - I'm no weather expert - does that mean it only starts getting dewy when temp reaches 17 degrees? this seems unlikely.

I'm not even sure how reliable this is - it always seems slippery up there at game time and more so after half time - even thought the temp hasnt reached the dew point. This could be sweat / humidity?

Also - looking at the chart below - thunderstorms are a chance

View attachment 990946
The closer the dew point gets to the actual temp the air becomes saturated.
The update I heard was a BOM forecaster.

[Edit- Good explanation from bom - The dew point temperature is the temperature to which the air must be cooled before dew or frost begins to form]

It's all about recovery when it comes to winning finals. Last year we got GWS after torrid successive games so their recovery was compromised and that played to our advantage. I would have thought that with shorter quarters this year the recovery wasn't going to be as much of an issue, but it has for teams like Colonwood who had to come back from Perth and expend everything to get over the line. We're in a similar boat, our players looked genuinely tired in the last few minutes. Hoping the extra day to recover, the fact that it wasn't Perth that our players will be ok.
All things considered, I think Richmond will struggle to win........

by more than 6 goals making it our closes grand final result since the 70s.
download.jpg

I cannot wait for the game, I'm very nervous but excited as well.

One more victory this weekend will make it officially a dynasty. It will elevate this team third behind the second placed lions 3 flags in 3 years and the first placed Hawks 4 flags in 8 years (including threepeat).

A victory here would be 3 flags in 4 years and place us third in the modern era.
Forget the other noise regarding best teams, players, AA representative etc. Its all about flags won!

I find it perfect, ironic and apt that a victory this weekend would place us above the cats 3 flags in 5 years. It's perfect in the
sense that the team we will be trying to rise above is the same team we will be playing.

If the cats win, then they will have deserved it, they are playing good footy and have hard, matured bodies, but if we win, then
we rise above them in the modern era.

Go Tigers!!

It’s happening guys.
Have a look at the name of the winner I just watched go around with the best driver in the caper on it.. pity I don’t bet on them!
What an omen!
50C4F9A4-81C9-4042-B370-D6816A0790FF.jpeg

This is a very underrated post and pretty much sums it up.

This is why I pray they don't name Ratugolea as he has a big enough body to take marks for Geelong one or two kicks out of defence. Then a quick dish off and they are away. Yes they have other tall options but they are less bulky and more prone to having their marks spoiled. As soon as the ball goes to ground, or even out of bounds, we reset. And then we are the team that is away.

Almost all our losses to good teams have been when the oppo are able to maintain possession, and that requires pinpoint precision all game (I think the Eagles did this to us a few years ago), or they have someone tall to clunk all the marks and we die a death by a thousand cuts because we simply can't get the ball to ground and rebound (Cox, Naughton).

The shit teams have beaten us with massive flood, that's the other way to beat us, but you end up with a low scoring bore-fest and it's a 50/50 whether you score enough goals on the rebound to win anyhow. I think we'd just bomb from 60 if that happens again. Would be very surprised if Geelong turned their gameplan upside down and tried this, but I guess we have to be ready for it.

Are Geelong really going to be able to pull of a game where they rarely have a turnover? On a wet, greasy night? When the ball carrier will be under constant pressure from his Richmond opponent?

This is why I pray they don't name Ratugolea as he has a big enough body to take marks for Geelong one or two kicks out of defence. Then a quick dish off and they are away. Yes they have other tall options but they are less bulky and more prone to having their marks spoiled. As soon as the ball goes to ground, or even out of bounds, we reset. And then we are the team that is away.

Almost all our losses to good teams have been when the oppo are able to maintain possession, and that requires pinpoint precision all game (I think the Eagles did this to us a few years ago), or they have someone tall to clunk all the marks and we die a death by a thousand cuts because we simply can't get the ball to ground and rebound (Cox, Naughton).

The sh*t teams have beaten us with massive flood, that's the other way to beat us, but you end up with a low scoring bore-fest and it's a 50/50 whether you score enough goals on the rebound to win anyhow. I think we'd just bomb from 60 if that happens again. Would be very surprised if Geelong turned their gameplan upside down and tried this, but I guess we have to be ready for it.

Are Geelong really going to be able to pull of a game where they rarely have a turnover? On a wet, greasy night? When the ball carrier will be under constant pressure from his Richmond opponent?

I thought Ratugolea's burst in the last quarter when we played them last was absolutely terrifying. 100% the type of player who could take the game away from us.

I'm less concerned about Rhys Stanley. Let's hope they go with him.

It’s much harder to execute a control game in the wet, quietly confident

I spend too much time listening to Hardwick. I'm not thinking about the outcome. Just concentrating on the process.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2020 AFL Grand-Final: Richmond v Geelong @ The GABBA (Serious one)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back