2020 Draft and Trades Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Create the welcome Jacob Townsend thread and move on .

Jon Haines
“We are really excited to have pick 5. We think we will get a really good player who can add to our list really quickly.
“There are some quality key position players at the top end of the draft. There are also some quality inside and outside midfielders as well.
“Given the quality of key position players at the top end and the choice between adding to our midfield mix or going for a key position player, it is making for a good debate at the moment.
“We feel like both of those areas of the list are progressing well so it is a really good debate and it’s going to be a difficult decision.”

Riley Thilthorpe (SA), Logan McDonald (WA), Denver Grainger-Barras (WA) and Zach Reid (VIC) are among the key position players Gold Coast’s recruitment team rate highly while Will Phillips (VIC) and Elijah Hollands are two the Suns believe could make an impact in their midfield.

The Suns football boss also said the club was more inclined to get a tall forward rather than a tall defender should they opt for a key position player.
“In the longer term we probably feel like another developing key forward wouldn’t hurt,” Haines said.

“We are really comfortable with Sam Day and Ben King who are forming a strong partnership.
“Getting another developing key forward in would benefit our list build, not withstanding guys like Matt Conroy and Pat Murtagh.
“From a key defensive point of view we are comfortable with Sam Collins who has had a great couple of years.
Charlie Ballard is developing and so is Caleb Graham while Chris Burgess can play at both ends of the ground.”

Haines said the club was considering leaving a spot or two free for the 2021 midseason draft.

Zac Reid 😫 don't fu** this up suns. If Thilthorpe is there take him, if not take Phillips. That's it, noone else
Hollands won't be on the board by that point, who is the best mid in the draft. I wouldn't think Zac Reid as a forward. Think he is more of a defender.

DGB can play both end ,.like Ben King and Naughton in his junior year . Phillip form the chargers three Musketeers. Reid - Leslie V2.0

Who i think GCS take , Reid after Townsend IN .

Last edited:
Hollands won't be on the board by that point, who is the best mid in the draft. I wouldn't think Zac Reid as a forward. Think he is more of a defender.
Phillips is a better mid then Hollands. Hollands is a forward who could be come a mid like De Goey. Phillips will come in and play at a high level straight away but he doesn't have the ceiling that hollands has. Reid was mentioned so we arent seriously considering him

Wow ok.
fine in key backs but want to develop another tall forward..
Caleb graham to play on mason Cox next year, lock it in

Wow ok.
Our key back stocks are much better then our key forward stocks

Wow ok.
Balta 1.95 look alright against Mason Cox , can always swing Ben King back . Luke Ryan 1.85 all Australian played on some big key forward as well.

Balta 1.95 look alright against Mason Cox , can always swing Ben King back .

balta is 101kgs.
Bit different then being 90kgs.

hopefully Ballard and graham get on the beers and get up close to 97kgs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Play Wright down forward with King and swing Day into defence when need be.

oh yeah that’s right...
No send Wright to Essendon for fourth rounder and get Townsend for free from Essendon to play forward . Use pick 5 for Reid instead of Phillip . Typically Craig Cameron move .

Our list is probably in the best spot its ever been, yet I don't think this place has ever seen so much negativity in an off season.

Everyone can see we need another kpd but he's not going to come out and say yeah our list is shot. Defensive stocks are better equipped than forward stocks, who comes in for big ben if he goes down

Our list is probably in the best spot its ever been, yet I don't think this place has ever seen so much negativity in an off season.

Everyone can see we need another kpd but he's not going to come out and say yeah our list is shot. Defensive stocks are better equipped than forward stocks, who comes in for big ben if he goes down
Lukosius can play on Ben King role if he go down ? Burgess can play Lukosius role at the back .
That is how your cover for injuries.
Maybe Thompson to get back / send him to LTI and get a temporary replacement from state league .
People are worried too much about KPP , Fremantle still won more game than GCS without Hogan , Alex Pearce and Hamling ,Hayden young .
A good coach need to know how to shift thing around when injuries strike .

* Other team also don't have 10 rookie A spots that GCS have . That is 5 more project KPP you can select from state league .

Last edited:
Jon Haines

This kind of political speak, where they talk rubbish is just insulting to the fans.

don’t talk about grabbing key forwards when you just through away a contracted player in 2MP, if it was because of $$$ that’s the clubs own fault, they should of moved on Brodie instead of they knew ( like we all did) that we were weak for key forwards and the top guys in McDonald and Thrilthope were out of reach. Just plain dumb

This kind of political speak, where they talk rubbish is just insulting to the fans.

don’t talk about grabbing key forwards when you just through away a contracted player in 2MP, if it was because of $$$ that’s the clubs own fault, they should of moved on Brodie instead of they knew ( like we all did) that we were weak for key forwards and the top guys in McDonald and Thrilthope were out of reach. Just plain dumb
Reckon Thilthorpe is going to be there at our pick

Reckon Thilthorpe is going to be there at our pick
It’s a big if, in my mind the below is likely

the Crows will likely take McDonald or Thilthorpe

North need a replacement for Brown and knew that one of the 2 key forwards would be available at pick 2 so I think that’s why they asked Brown to look elsewhere so one of the 2 def

if for some reason the Crows pick Holland’s ( and I seriously doubt they will risk their first ever pick on a guy coming off a knee reco) then Sydney will take either the remaining key forward or Barras to cover Allir

then we get to the Hawks if either of the 2 key forwards are available no way they get past the Hawks

I think we are zero chance of getting either key forward unless we move up the order

It’s a big if, in my mind the below is likely

the Crows will likely take McDonald or Thilthorpe

North need a replacement for Brown and knew that one of the 2 key forwards would be available at pick 2 so I think that’s why they asked Brown to look elsewhere so one of the 2 def

if for some reason the Crows pick Holland’s ( and I seriously doubt they will risk their first ever pick on a guy coming off a knee reco) then Sydney will take either the remaining key forward or Barras to cover Allir

then we get to the Hawks if either of the 2 key forwards are available no way they get past the Hawks

I think we are zero chance of getting either key forward unless we move up the order
Reckon Hollands might go 1, I don't know why I just have a gut feeling. Adelaide aren't to bad for KPP, but their midfield is slow and crap. Leaves North to take McDonald, Sydney to take DBG, Hawthorn maybe Thilthorpe but possibly Phillips.

Reckon Hollands might go 1, I don't know why I just have a gut feeling. Adelaide aren't to bad for KPP, but their midfield is slow and crap. Leaves North to take McDonald, Sydney to take DBG, Hawthorn maybe Thilthorpe but possibly Phillips.
We are all guessing and your gut is as good a reason as any. I do feel that the Crows will be risk averse as the fans are ready to burn the place down. It’s a brave man that picks a kid with a knee issue over a local with their first ever No1 pick . My gut says they won’t risk it

We are all guessing and your gut is as good a reason as any. I do feel that the Crows will be risk averse as the fans are ready to burn the place down. It’s a brave man that picks a kid with a knee issue over a local with their first ever No1 pick . My gut says they won’t risk it
Its going to be an interesting draft, for me there is a clear pick 1 in McDonald so I dont know why the Crows don't just take him. But its the Crows, they are all over the place

Remove this Banner Ad

2020 Draft and Trades Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back