Review 2020 Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact is that in their draft year the Vic metro kids have barely got onto the ground , surely that means they are behind in their development than their interstate counterparts ( agree with your Vic country statement , though they aren’t playing games yet) Surely this will mean greater exposure for kids outside of Victoria and some of their players may get drafted as their game is more advanced than their Vic competitors . This is not a normal season so clubs may look outside their normal boxes when drafting. From a qld perspective Connor Budarick has shown that if you give a qld kid a go you may find a player.
Connor Budarick was always well regarded and predicted to go early-mid second round in an open draft. I don't get the greater exposure argument either, clubs have teams of 5+ full time recruiters, do you seriously think all of them sit around one computer screen watching Vic Metro games for 10 months a year? They already do their due diligence, if there's more focus on the Queensland kids it's more likely recruiters find things they don't like rather than things they do like compared to other years

Reville
I could name from the teams listed last week a number of possible draftees - Davies , Gore , Crozier , Coleman and
Reville , remember our kids are mixing it with men atm while the poor Vic kids are on their PlayStations. This probably puts them six months ahead. Watch fir a substantial increase in Wa and Sa kids taken too
You’ve just named all the kids we already know about, and who were considered potential draftees.

None of those names are surprising.

You originally said more Queenslanders than normal might get drafted.

I took that to mean, kids not already being spoken about and NOT in the Allies hub.

Reville and Gore were back at their respective clubs as over age academy prospects.

That gives them an outside chance to be drafted.

Without you being involved in the last 7 months conversations here, it’s hard for me to know what you’ll understand as implied and not needed to be mentioned in discussion.

I’m with PMBangers, I think you’re over estimating the advantages the non Victorian kids have.

At the end of the day, recruiters look to what they hope the kids will become as much as what they have achieved so far.

As I mentioned before, more likely fewer kids drafted this year, next year we’ll see more 19 year olds drafted

You’ve just named all the kids we already know about, and who were considered potential draftees.

None of those names are surprising.

You originally said more Queenslanders than normal might get drafted.

I took that to mean, kids not already being spoken about and NOT in the Allies hub.

Reville and Gore were back at their respective clubs as over age academy prospects.

That gives them an outside chance to be drafted.

Without you being involved in the last 7 months conversations here, it’s hard for me to know what you’ll understand as implied and not needed to be mentioned in discussion.

I’m with PMBangers, I think you’re over estimating the advantages the non Victorian kids have.

At the end of the day, recruiters look to what they hope the kids will become as much as what they have achieved so far.

As I mentioned before, more likely fewer kids drafted this year, next year we’ll see more 19 year olds drafted
As a Qlder shouldn’t you be supporting the kids in your own state. It is well known that Vic Metro kids get a leg up with promotion from their powerful nab league teams ( check out Weightmann and Cahill this week) , one prominent media pundit actually had dinner regularly at a prospects family restaurant last year. How’s that unbiased

As a Qlder shouldn’t you be supporting the kids in your own state. It is well known that Vic Metro kids get a leg up with promotion from their powerful nab league teams ( check out Weightmann and Cahill this week) , one prominent media pundit actually had dinner regularly at a prospects family restaurant last year. How’s that unbiased
How is any attention in the media/ on bigfooty making any difference to anything lol. Why would briztoon 'support' kids in queensland just for the fact they play in queensland?

Every year approx 55% of the draft is from Victoria, if you can list unbiased best 22 from each team in the AFL and then where they were recruited from and find less than 55% are from Victoria I will agree with your bias call.

Because then you have an argument in facts or at least your opinion, but if you find that more than 55% are Victorians in your best 22 teams, then not only are you wrong, but more Victorians should be drafted each year, are you willing to do the exercise and possibly prove yourself wrong?

I must admit as a Swans fan I like the sound of Macre, Phillips and Hollands with the slight preference of Phillips as he averages more than Macre and Hollands has a history with his ACL and that is not something I want to take a risk with with a very early draft pick player.

I must admit as a Swans fan I like the sound of Macre, Phillips and Hollands with the slight preference of Phillips as he averages more than Macre and Hollands has a history with his ACL and that is not something I want to take a risk with with a very early draft pick player.

Did you not read the bit about a knee injury keeping Phillips out for a chunk of the first half of the season?

Yes I did, but it wasn't an ACL injury keeping him out.
Also have to ask since Sydney fans are varying on it, is a midfielder with your open pick the priority considering Campbell and Gulden are in the academy?

Also have to ask since Sydney fans are varying on it, is a midfielder with your open pick the priority considering Campbell and Gulden are in the academy?

Well I don't have an open line with the recruiting staff obviously but most Swans fans including myself believe we need to get an in and under clearance midfielder with our first pick. Yes we are getting Campbell and Gulden too, but Gulden will likely end up as a small forward or something like that and Campbell will likely be a half forward. We desperately need a pure in and under midfielder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I support the Brisbane Lions.

I want the best available prospects available at our picks, regardless of where they come from.

And I can 100% guarantee that is exactly how or recruiting and management team approach the draft as well.

If the kids in our academy are good enough, then of course I want us to draft them.

But if there is a better kid from another state, I want that kid.

You’ll have to explain to me what I’m supposed to be checking out, in regards to Weightman and Cahill.

So what if Twomey ate out regularly (which I don’t believe he did, it was just for his reporting) at Trent Bianco’s parents restaurant.

If you believe any media reporting can influence club recruiters about prospects, you’re somewhat delusional. Or those recruiters are.

I’ve heard David Noble and Steph Conole talk about the media and randoms on the internet with draft rankings, etc, in regards to draft prospects and the draft, to know they don’t value our opinions, and have a good laugh at us sometimes.

I’ve heard David Noble and Steph Conole talk about the media and randoms on the internet with draft rankings, etc, in regards to draft prospects and the draft, to know they don’t value our opinions, and have a good laugh at us sometimes.

Yeah well, I laugh at a shit load of recruiting decisions as well.....

I want the best available prospects available at our picks, regardless of where they come from.

And I can 100% guarantee that is exactly how or recruiting and management team approach the draft as well.

If the kids in our academy are good enough, then of course I want us to draft them.

You’ll have to explain to me what I’m supposed to be checking out, in regards to Weightman and Cahill.

So what if Twomey ate out regularly (which I don’t believe he did, it was just for his reporting) at Trent Bianco’s parents restaurant.

If you believe any media reporting can influence club recruiters about prospects, you’re somewhat delusional. Or those recruiters are.

Exactly, if you think any recruiters take into consideration what any media types are saying about prospects/ who they give more coverage to (twomey, Matt balmer etc) you are seriously misguided. People on here would watch vision more closely than what media people do.

Can't believe this post had to be made.

You didn't need to justify yourself Briztoon.

All of your points are valid.

I know its not '20 draft related but one the biggest surprises of the year would have to be Elijah Taylor making his AFL debut before will gould.

If Gould makes his debut soon then every player the Swans drafted in the 2019 draft will be playing at the same time (not including rookie draft). I don't remember the last time that happened.

All clubs have a mix of players from different parts of the country. I think the WA and SA teams get the closest to having home-grown teams, and even then it's about 50% of their list. I had a graph somewhere that I've posted before based on 2019 lists, might be in the resource thread or something.

With Weightman and Cahill, I suspect he means that they're both debuting tomorrow night having formerly played for the Dandy Stingrays. I think one of their coaches was interviewed the other day about it too. Not sure what the point is about them beyond that though... they get a game because they impressed their coaches. Pretty sure Worsfold/Rutten and Beveridge wouldn't be sitting there checking which state the kid came from before selecting him.

All clubs have a mix of players from different parts of the country. I think the WA and SA teams get the closest to having home-grown teams, and even then it's about 50% of their list. I had a graph somewhere that I've posted before based on 2019 lists, might be in the resource thread or something.

With Weightman and Cahill, I suspect he means that they're both debuting tomorrow night having formerly played for the Dandy Stingrays. I think one of their coaches was interviewed the other day about it too. Not sure what the point is about them beyond that though... they get a game because they impressed their coaches. Pretty sure Worsfold/Rutten and Beveridge wouldn't be sitting there checking which state the kid came from before selecting him.

My man Cahill gets a debut, wish he had somehow gotten to the Hawks, good luck to him.

My man Cahill gets a debut, wish he had somehow gotten to the Hawks, good luck to him.
He's been doing pretty well in the scratchies. Be interesting to see how he goes with the pace and pressure of AFL though, I don't think 12 v 12 or whatever is quite the same haha.

Anyone interested in a trade game

Essentially you take a team and whatever draft picks they currently have and trade them in order to improve your side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reville
I could name from the teams listed last week a number of possible draftees - Davies , Gore , Crozier , Coleman and
Reville , remember our kids are mixing it with men atm while the poor Vic kids are on their PlayStations. This probably puts them six months ahead. Watch fir a substantial increase in Wa and Sa kids taken too
To pacify Goodguy , had a look at the Qafl results last night , Davies had a quite one , Gore and Coleman kicked two for their respective teams and Crozier was best on for his. One name to follow maybe Ashton Crossley who was a star junior but left the Suns after the suspension of his brother. Now doing well for Palm Beach

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2020 Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back