2020 FA, Draft and Trade HYPOTHETICAL thread...now with new DFA speculation!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is something I cannot understand. I do not understand relevance of academy players with general pool players.
If you hold picks 10,13 & 15, you should be able to pick up 3 good players for example Reid/Cox/Ford.
If picks go back by say 15,18,20, general pool players Reid/Cox/Ford will still be there. Whoever has taken 5 spots ahead
will be academy players, not general pool players.

The Essendope have picks 6,7 and 8 - with the big 5 gone by those picks who is to say they won't take Reid/Cox and Ford with those picks - then what's left for 10, 13 and 15?? Not much

Even though GWS overpaid for Pick 4 previously giving away that many picks for just Pick 4 would cause the AFL to block the trade IMO. On points value we win by the equivalent of Pick 2. It's also worth noting they had Tom Green as an Academy player that year who was expected to go top 5 so they might have been happier to overpay to avoid their pick being eaten by a bid. Plus they traded their future first coming off playing in a Grand Final - I don't think they expected it to be Pick 9.

Something that's more likely is 4 + 24 for 10, 13 and 15. It's something I would strongly consider if Hollands/DGB are gone but even then I'm warming to the idea of Phillips. I think we'd be more likely to take the tall in Thilthorpe though. I guess the question is would a potential haul of Cox, Henry & Ford (who I would reach for) > Thilthorpe & Dumesny.

I totally hear what you're saying but if the AFL were to effectively block that type of a trade then it'd be nothing more than corruption at it's finest.

Not only have GWS done multiple trades similar to this in the past, but other clubs have also recently taken part in apparently lopsided trades when referring to the points index, to get into their desired position in either that or the following year's draft.

To be fair however, I feel the AFL would begrudgingly let this trade take place if it meant keeping one of their little plastic franchises happy and obtaining more elite young talent, while also attempting to ensure we didn't.

My only issue with what you've presented is that we'd be essentially removing ourselves from the elite bracket of this draft and not really gaining anything other than an additional player of a lesser type/unknown quantity.

At least if a trade of 10, 13 and 15 for 4 was to take place it'd actually be of benefit and you'd have to seriously consider it.

Otherwise I'd be keeping and using our picks as they stand and drastically increasing our chances of landing an elite talent - the same reason in which GWS would be wanting to do that trade in the first place.

If we were even able to land all of 10, 13, 15 and 20 for both of 4 and 24 then surely both clubs would be negligent to not jump at the opportunity and it'd also benefit both clubs.

Anyway I've already got my deck chair out and the popcorn handy, let's see how it all plays out 😁

The Essendope have picks 6,7 and 8 - with the big 5 gone by those picks who is to say they won't take Reid/Cox and Ford with those picks - then what's left for 10, 13 and 15?? Not much

What do you mean not much ? Are you only saying those 3 players because you have only seen highlights on them ? . If you want names id choose over all over them it would be jack carroll , Brayden cook , bailey Laurie, heath chapman , Oliver henry, sam Berry. All likely to be around that mark .

Would the possibility of 14 (WBD), Pick 16 (COLL) and Collingwood 2021 First Round Selection in exchange for Pick 4 (HAW) and Pick 24 (NTH) be an option worth exploring?

Given all the recent drama that's unfolded there and the players that have been pushed out, perhaps we could not only end up with a pair of First Round Selections this year, but a pair of Top 5 Selections next year as well 😉

Would the possibility of 14 (WBD), Pick 16 (COLL) and Collingwood 2021 First Round Selection in exchange for Pick 4 (HAW) and Pick 24 (NTH) be an option worth exploring?

Given all the recent drama that's unfolded there and the players that have been pushed out, perhaps we could not only end up with a pair of First Round Selections this year, but a pair of Top 5 Selections next year as well 😉

Yes, worth a look IMHO.

I think I’m going against the grain here, but I would be trading this years second for a teams second next year. We keep this years and it gets eaten up by an early bid for Downey or take an extra next year in what could be a super draft.

Hey crew. Long time listener/first time caller.
Would it be worth asking the question of Bombers picks 7 and 8 in a swap for our pick 4??
They have a leadership void and could use a guy like Phillips. We could in turn grab Perkins and Reid inside top 10. Then follow it up with a slider at pick 24 and Downie with the rest
Thoughts??

Hey crew. Long time listener/first time caller.
Would it be worth asking the question of Bombers picks 7 and 8 in a swap for our pick 4??
They have a leadership void and could use a guy like Phillips. We could in turn grab Perkins and Reid inside top 10. Then follow it up with a slider at pick 24 and Downie with the rest
Thoughts??
It would certainly be good for us but I’m not sure Essendon will go for it. I’m sure they have their sights on pick 2.

It would certainly be good for us but I’m not sure Essendon will go for it. I’m sure they have their sights on pick 2.

If I were North, I'd bid on Ugle-Hagan and then trade Pick 2 to the dons for a couple of those picks. They have so many list spots available, I assume that's what they're aiming to do.

If I were North, I'd bid on Ugle-Hagan and then trade Pick 2 to the dons for a couple of those picks. They have so many list spots available, I assume that's what they're aiming to do.
Pretty sure they have stopped that from happening. If you bid on a player & it's matched you can't then on trade the pick, you have to use it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure they have stopped that from happening. If you bid on a player & it's matched you can't then on trade the pick, you have to use it.

Carlton bid on Liam Henry and Tom Green before trading away their first on draft night last year. Can definitely do that.

No ******* way I am given pick 24 as well. - pick 6 and 8 for 4 or no dice.

Wouldn't like to buy a car from you.

It really depends on who approaches who tbh.

But from a less emotional standpoint, something like

6 and 7 for 4 and 24 is weighted towards us.

Post 4 for 6 and 8 and the bombers board. Guaranteed to get worse than "No f*&%^$^&g way"

I think that given the current state of our list (which appears to be at a crossroads, however not as bad as some believe) and the state of this year's draft that it actually makes sense to trade out early in exchange for multiple selections and back our recruitment team in fully.

Here's my ideal scenario, whether or not it eventuates is a different story entirely.

Greater Western Sydney Trade

Pick 10 (GWS), Pick 13 (GCS), Pick 15 (WCE), Pick 20 (GEE) in exchange for Pick 4 (HAW)

Refer to a recent previous example of the Lachie Ash acquisition which involved GWS handing over all of:

Pick 9 (GWS 2020), Pick 12 (ESS 2019) and Pick 18 (GWS 2019) for Pick 4 (ADE 2019)

Now given the compromised state and uncertainty around this year's pool combined with the fact that the selections they'd be offering are of lower value in comparison to the above, but they'd still be receiving the exact same selection in return, then it does make sense to ensure that a hefty premium is paid (the extra selection) if we're to in fact let our highest selection in 15 years go.

If we were able to get a deal struck then hopefully we're able to end up with something along the lines of:

AFL Draft 2020 Selections

Pick 10 (GWS) - Oliver Henry - (FWD)
Pick 13 (GCS) - Nikolas Cox - (UTL)
Pick 15 (WCE) - Zach Reid - (DEF)
Pick 20 (GEE) - Jack Ginnivan - (FWD)
Pick 24 (FRE) - Eddie Ford (FWD)
Pick 45 (HAW) and Pick 46 (HAW) - Connor Downie - (MID)
Pick 49 (ESS) - Henry Walsh (RUC)

This would not only drastically improve our age demographic (which to be fair has already improved significantly over this off season anyway) but it would also address multiple areas of our list that need improvement (allowing us to recruit midfielder's next off season) and also give us a core group of youngsters to come up through the ranks together.

One could only dream that with the pieces we already have in place that we've now laid the foundations for our next dynasty.

Not long until now we find out which direction the club will be heading in anyway 😁

Nice idea - too many picks. Won't take more than 4. Also we won't get that much value for pick 4 because GWS were getting ahead of a bid on Green so the situations are not comparable. On a similar note - I would like to see something like the follow

Pick 4 and 24, Future 3rd

GWS Pick 10, 13 and 15, 20

Then

On-trade pick 13 or 15 for Coll Future first -

Then

Trade out of 20 into a future 2nd from anyone.

Net result =

Out Pick 4, 24 and future 3rd and in = Pick 10, Pick 15, Future First Coll, Future 2nd someone else.

This sort of strategy is premised on distributing our significant asset (4) into more moderate assets, but we get volume which we need desperately because of the lack of top-end talent on our list. We also don't over invest in this year's draft and instead parlay significantly into next year. If we were to have x2 First and x2 Seconds in 2021, that is a significant war chest to take to the draft, trade, move up, or continue parlaying into future drafts.

Also, this strategy is also only really worth it, if the recruiting team think there is a player or two they can project (with no football) as having a significant upside.

Could be a
10 - Henry, Perkins, Bruhn, Reid - type of player
and at 13/15 - a Chapman, Powell, MacRae - type of player.
Match downie with 4th rounders rather than risking a second rounder and take one more speculative pick in the 40's

This is what I would do if in GW's chair and the offers were available.

Nice idea - too many picks. Won't take more than 4. Also we won't get that much value for pick 4 because GWS were getting ahead of a bid on Green so the situations are not comparable. On a similar note - I would like to see something like the follow

Pick 4 and 24, Future 3rd

GWS Pick 10, 13 and 15, 20

Then

On-trade pick 13 or 15 for Coll Future first -

Then

Trade out of 20 into a future 2nd from anyone.

Net result =

Out Pick 4, 24 and future 3rd and in = Pick 10, Pick 15, Future First Coll, Future 2nd someone else.

This sort of strategy is premised on distributing our significant asset (4) into more moderate assets, but we get volume which we need desperately because of the lack of top-end talent on our list. We also don't over invest in this year's draft and instead parlay significantly into next year. If we were to have x2 First and x2 Seconds in 2021, that is a significant war chest to take to the draft, trade, move up, or continue parlaying into future drafts.

Also, this strategy is also only really worth it, if the recruiting team think there is a player or two they can project (with no football) as having a significant upside.

Could be a
10 - Henry, Perkins, Bruhn, Reid - type of player
and at 13/15 - a Chapman, Powell, MacRae - type of player.
Match downie with 4th rounders rather than risking a second rounder and take one more speculative pick in the 40's

This is what I would do if in GW's chair and the offers were available.
Like the strategy & the thought you've put into this.
Big proviso is that Phillips & Hollands are just too good to let go & we need these types in our side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back