MRP / Trib. 2020 MRO Chook Lotto - Carlton Tribunal News & Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

I have always wondered the same, but I can see the umpire/AFL logic.

Freo player late to the contest, Carlton gets the free kick.

Carlton player remonstrates, pushing over offending player. This 'escalates' the situation, so the free kick is reversed.

Arguably every action after that is a function of the Carlton player's action that causes the melee. If 10 players get pushed back and forth, the umpire isn't going to reverse 10 times. All of that is because the the Carlton player started it.

Yes, ultimately the Freo player started it with the initial infraction. But Carlton was awarded the free kick and the incident was resolved until the Carlton reopened it....

ps - that made sense in my head
But he took the mark, so he wasn't awared the free-kick or else it should have been 50.

Umpires caused that melee by swalllowing their whistle instead of paying the 50.

That number 21 did it all day, negligent little campaigner, hardly paid us one.

But he took the mark, so he wasn't awared the free-kick or else it should have been 50.

Umpires caused that melee by swalllowing their whistle instead of paying the 50.

That number 21 did it all day, negligent little campaigner, hardly paid us one.
Sorry but that’s just wrong.
Watch any game this year and you will regularly see someone mark the ball but hear the umpire call a free kick anyway. It’s often why people are so surprised by free kick counts.
Ferris is right, doc by instigating the further melee is responsible for what happened, and barring any further significant infractions, free kick to Freo is the right call.
Unpopular opinion but he made the right decision

Watch any game this year and you will regularly see someone mark the ball but hear the umpire call a free kick anyway. It’s often why people are so surprised by free kick counts.
Ferris is right, doc by instigating the further melee is responsible for what happened, and barring any further significant infractions, free kick to Freo is the right call.
If that's the case then the game is being umpired incorrectly, it should be a 50m penalty

That was clearly a 50 meter penalty. The ump got it wrong.

The ump possibly got it wrong on the 50m, depending on how you view how late the 'spoil' was.

BUT that doesn't give Doc the right to remonstrate. You start up a tussle after a contest, you don't get a free pass coz 'hey, the umpire should have blown his whistle'.

If an opposition does something wrong, it it the umpire's responsibility to call a free kick. If something is REALLY bad, it's the MRO's responsibility to deal out a suspension. Players do not have the right to take justice into their own hands. They are not officiating the game.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad Doc got involved. I want us to be a team that won't get pushed around. But when that happens, I don't get upset if that costs us a free kick.

Fighting for your pride and sticking up for a teammate is not the umpire's fault.

The ump possibly got it wrong on the 50m, depending on how you view how late the 'spoil' was.

BUT that doesn't give Doc the right to remonstrate. You start up a tussle after a contest, you don't get a free pass coz 'hey, the umpire should have blown his whistle'.

If an opposition does something wrong, it it the umpire's responsibility to call a free kick. If something is REALLY bad, it's the MRO's responsibility to deal out a suspension. Players do not have the right to take justice into their own hands. They are not officiating the game.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad Doc got involved. I want us to be a team that won't get pushed around. But when that happens, I don't get upset if that costs us a free kick.

Fighting for your pride and sticking up for a teammate is not the umpire's fault.

Gut feel at the time was that it was late-ish, but not 50m late. Think the call was OK, and have no issue with Doc coughing up a free kick in a practice match to show everyone (teammates and opposition) that his two ACL's are well behind him and he has no issue getting physical.

Gut feel at the time was that it was late-ish, but not 50m late. Think the call was OK, and have no issue with Doc coughing up a free kick in a practice match to show everyone (teammates and opposition) that his two ACL's are well behind him and he has no issue getting physical.
It doesn't matter how late it is.

If you take the mark - you get possession. If you take the mark and have a free committed against you, i.e high contact. My understanding was that was always supposed ot be 50m (whereas if it affected the mark and you didn't take it, it was just a free kick).

Is that not the case? i always remebered it being umpired that way, especially with high contact, not sure about push in the back etc.

It doesn't matter how late it is.

If you take the mark - you get possession. If you take the mark and have a free committed against you, i.e high contact. My understanding was that was always supposed ot be 50m (whereas if it affected the mark and you didn't take it, it was just a free kick).

Is that not the case? i always remebered it being umpired that way, especially with high contact, not sure about push in the back etc.

Don't think that's a firm rule, more a "simple" interpretation.

ie. A chop of the arms where you still complete a juggling mark doesn't equal a 50m penalty.

Think it has to be late or particularly reckless.

Last edited:
Don't think that's a firm rule, more a "simple" interpretation.

ie. A chop of the arms where you still complete a juggling mark doesn't equal a 50m penalty.

Think it has to be late or particularly reckless.
FYI Schultz just did the exact same thing.. with even less force.. to Elliot Yeo 2 minutes ago.

And guess what - 50m given.

Wtf... Merrett offered 1 match. Classified as "careless" as opposed to intentional. Get fu**edd
Like I said, wet lettuce leaf level of punishment will be applied.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t say I’m surprised but it is another shocker of a decision. A deliberate action of punching someone is now regarded as a careless act. We’ve changed the game and cleansed it of the violence of yesteryear. I’m all for that but in the process we’ve lost something in the translation.

Nobody has a clue of what a malicious act is anymore. It‘s a learned experience and we can’t recognise one any longer.

You only had to listen to those nuffs on the broadcast last night. JB, between much guffawing, described it as a rib tickler. Cue the laugh track. I heard innocuous on too many occasions. He‘s only winded. Etc, etc. I know from experience that Jack‘s immediate pain was a sign that something was seriously wrong. And the reaction of the media gives everyone an out. My god Setters got two weeks last year for a tackle that went wrong.

The only body that can remedy this is the AFL. It should take the matter to appeal on the basis that’s it patently insufficient but that won’t happen.

I think that was worth a 3 match penalty based on the intent and the result.

Last edited:
How is a punch to the ribs, with the arms raised and the ball no wear near, not be intentional?

Seperate to Carlton, the AFL handed out the fines for the GC, Freo Melee but I didn’t see anything regard Walters punch to the face of a Suns player which kicked off Hanley, it was played heaps last night on the TV

What the fu** has this game become?

There are plenty of worse hits every single game that don’t even earn a free kick. Nothing charge in response to JSOS getting injured last week

MRO has charged Brackets, can accept a fine.

Chooklotto inconsistency is strangely consistent

Give it away Christian, you are embarrassing yourself

Remove this Banner Ad

Back