2020 Preseason training Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I suspect they will give him games even if he isn't performing to develop him.

Hope not. We're in it to win it this year, not sure we can carry another tall (who may play midfield, but still) who's not performing given the talent we have (especially in that area).

If he's performing then by all means play him. But I don't want us carrying anyone this year, it's going to be a crazy enough season as it is, and I want us to pinch one while JK, Hurn, Jetta etc are all playing.

Hope not. We're in it to win it this year, not sure we can carry another tall (who may play midfield, but still) who's not performing given the talent we have (especially in that area).

If he's performing then by all means play him. But I don't want us carrying anyone this year, it's going to be a crazy enough season as it is, and I want us to pinch one while JK, Hurn, Jetta etc are all playing.

Who would you put on the wing if not Brander?

I think we are able to give him a bit of time to grow in to the role.

It's not like he is a liability like Masto was at times, he just tends to be a bit passive and isn't as damaging as what I would like to see.

I guess the flip side of that is if ever we can carry someone in the midfield it would be when we have a Rolls Royce midfield who can hold their own against anyone. Much better for his confidence playing in amongst elites than being carried by a poor midfield that can't bring him into the game with effective clearances and disposal.

Who would you put on the wing if not Brander?

I think we are able to give him a bit of time to grow in to the role.

It's not like he is a liability like Masto was at times, he just tends to be a bit passive and isn't as damaging as what I would like to see.

He got to some good spots in Round 1. I'm not going to chastise him for being nervous and having the fumbles in his first proper hitout in a completely new position. Talls take longer to develop as it is, let alone in a new position trying to establish cohesion with his teammates.

I reckon he was only 10-15% off putting a neat little game together.

O Allen is who we need to get games into... Out of him and Brander i can see O Allen being the player that wins AA's

Brander i scare will be Staker 2.0. After watching highlights of 04-07 i noticed Staker played a lot and maybe his potential was touted and we just played him most games and fitted him wherever a spot was availiable.

I've heard a few commentators note that his big frame makes him hard to move in marking contests. He's not going to suddenly become an athletic beast, why change up what has earnt him 4 straight AA jackets
It seems like a team directive (drop a bit of weight, some of which is no doubt muscle).

JK, Gov, TK have all been noted as 'looking slim'

Maybe planning for shorter breaks between games (which now looks unlikely) or just wanting those guys to play more minutes...

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It seems like a team directive (drop a bit of weight, some of which is no doubt muscle).

Maybe planning for shorter breaks between games (which now looks unlikely) or just wanting those guys to play more minutes...

Shorter game time means less need for strength and bulk and greater emphasis on speed.

Suggest weight loss is also an outcome of fewer weights sessions on big weights cos gyms ‘closed’ & two person restriction etc etc.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Add Nik Nat to that select few too, I reckon. He looks to have slimmed down around the girth some. We have all been crying out for him to shed kilos, and now, it looks to be the case. Those wheat silos might be fair game again.

Add Nik Nat to that select few too, I reckon. He looks to have slimmed down around the girth some. We have all been crying out for him to shed kilos, and now, it looks to be the case. Those wheat silos might be fair game again.
How did you get into the Lathlain change rooms bro?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've heard a few commentators note that his big frame makes him hard to move in marking contests. He's not going to suddenly become an athletic beast, why change up what has earnt him 4 straight AA jackets
Don't worry. 6-7 kilos is only a tiny percentage weight loss on Gov. Like me eating one less pie and I'm pretty fat.
As for Brander, it's a big role change for a biggish bloke. Needs some time in the role. Clearly Simmo and the other gods of the club see something in him.

I was going to mention NN but had concerns it might descend into another 'how fat is NN from Ubereats' discussion again!

All the size in the world counts for naught in footy if you aren't fit as well.

Being a big unit goes out the window when you get to the next contest and are so exhausted a stick could knock you over.

I'd be happier if Naitanui came back 6-7kg's lighter than McGovern. One is injury prone and played 35 games in 4 seasons, the other has won 4 straight AA's.

You'd think missing out on a premiership and missing 65 out of 100 games since the 2015 grand final due to injury would be a motivator 🤷‍♂️

I guess the flip side of that is if ever we can carry someone in the midfield it would be when we have a Rolls Royce midfield who can hold their own against anyone. Much better for his confidence playing in amongst elites than being carried by a poor midfield that can't bring him into the game with effective clearances and disposal.

One issue I did forget is that our WAFL team won't be able to play this year, so I daresay we'll be seeing a lot more INs and OUTs just to keep everyone somewhat match fit.

Remove this Banner Ad

2020 Preseason training Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back