2020 Preseason training Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast’s Oscar Allen is injury free and perfectly suited to take advantage of the shortened AFL quarters in 2020
Mitchell WoodcockThe West Australian
Wednesday, 27 May 2020 4:00AM

Eagles, Dockers off to QLD

Young West Coast tall Oscar Allen’s versatility could be one of his biggest assets in the shorter quarters to be played in 2020, according to his former coach Bill Monaghan.
The exciting 21-year-old looks to have put a series of injuries which hampered his pre-season and saw him miss round one behind him, moving freely yesterday during the Eagles’ first full-contact training as an entire team at Mineral Resources Park.
Allen became a regular member of West Coast’s best 22 last year, playing 21 games as a forward, defender and back-up ruckman in his second season before a knee injury cost him the chance of a finals berth.

Ankle and hernia problems over the summer restricted Allen’s preparations for 2020, but the two-month break while the season was postponed has given him more recovery time.
The Eagles are set to have most of their squad fit for the Gold Coast hub next month, with only premiership duo Daniel Venables (concussion) and Willie Rioli (ASADA suspension) and first-year midfielder Mitch O’Neill (back) being unavailable.
West Coast Eagles utility Oscar Allen

Monaghan, who coached Allen at West Perth before he was drafted in 2017, said the young Eagle was a player a team could be built around, and it was just a matter of where he slotted in.
“I think there is an upside to Oscar Allen and I would think West Coast would want to get as many games into him as they can,” he said.
“I think he is a long-term AFL player. There are some challenges over where he fits into their set-up.
“Playing two genuine ruckmen is going to be a challenge in shortened quarters so it may help people who have versatility like Oscar.”

Boots is making a lot of sense here.

Good to see that kind of attitude. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the boys go this season. Exciting times.

West Coast captain Luke Shuey says it could be argued 2020 premiership will mean more due to difficult situation, rather than have an ‘asterisk’

West Coast captain Luke Shuey said it could be argued that the 2020 premiership could mean more to people, not less, because of the situation many Australians faced in their lives at the moment.
Speaking a day on from West Coast’s first contact training session Shuey also said:
*His biggest challenges as a first year captain lay ahead of him when the Eagles started playing games in the hub.
*Differences in government regulations and not the reluctance of Victorian teams to go into a hub were the reason that West Coast. Fremantle, Port Adelaide and Adelaide had to go to Queensland.
*He was likely to leave his family at home for the start of the hub but reserved the right to get them to Queensland if the need arose.
*It was important that players were prepared to give back to the game and make sacrifices to get this season started.
*The Eagles had come through their first contact session well, likening it to the first day back at school, and expected the intensity to peak next Friday ahead of the shift to Queensland.
West Coast Eagles return to training at Mineral Resources Park, Lathlain.

Shuey said he found it a “little bit ridiculous” that some people claimed the 2020 premiership wouldn’t mean as much as other flags.
“There is no doubt it is different but different doesn’t always mean worse off. I think you have to look at the impact you will have by winning one.
“The amount of fans and members you will make happy after a tough year for them. People at the club who have had pay cuts, people who have lost jobs.
“In terms of how many people you will have actually touched it is arguably bigger,” he said.
“I think if you speak to any player, any coach across the competition, anyone involved in an AFL club, they will say that a premiership this year will mean as much as any other season.”

I really hope we can allow to extra players on a bench so we can utilise our squad somewhat.

Say we go into round 2 with this team:

Shep Barrass Hurn
Jetta Gov Duggan

Gaff Kelly Brander

Sheed Darling Ah Chee
Cripps JK Ryan

Ruck: Nic Nat Shuey Yeo

Bench: Redden, Pet, Williams, O Allen, Nelson, Xon.

On the bench we have:

- Redden inside mid rotation
- Pet as the quick HFF who can play in burst better with a shorter 1/4
- Williams To back Nic Nat.
- O Allen as a utility. ( Mainly forward) this can give JK a decent rest to prelong his season.
- Nelson as the 7th defender.
- Last spot to a young player like Xon who would not normally get a go this early on.

I really hope we can allow to extra players on a bench so we can utilise our squad somewhat.

Shep Barrass Hurn
Jetta Gov Duggan

Gaff Kelly Brander

Sheed Darling Ah Chee
Cripps JK Ryan

On the bench we have:

- O Allen as a utility. ( Mainly forward) this can give JK a decent rest to prelong his season.
- Last spot to a young player like Xon who would not normally get a go this early on.

I saw the article and I am not sure what to think of it. We do have a slight issue in our squad trying to fit everyone in. The line up you put together looks great on paper (just needs to swap Nelson for Rotham), I'm not sold that an extended bench works in our favour.

Part of me wonders if some of our flag rivals have deeper lists than we do, and an extended bench may put us at a disadvantage compared to them.

I saw the article and I am not sure what to think of it. We do have a slight issue in our squad trying to fit everyone in. The line up you put together looks great on paper (just needs to swap Nelson for Rotham), I'm not sold that an extended bench works in our favour.

Part of me wonders if some of our flag rivals have deeper lists than we do, and an extended bench may put us at a disadvantage compared to them.
I reckon it'd help us heaps! It covers a couple of deficiencies in our usual 22.

Lessens the difficulties we face having a second ruck, which other sides might fill instead with an extra runner. Imagine: Naitanui with shorter quarters and our midfield rotations won't suffer from a second ruck playing 50% game time.

Younger players like Allen, Brander and Petch (perhaps also Cameron or Xon) – a handful of whom we're gunna pump games into anyway – will be fresher late game.

We'd have the flexibility to just sit Hutchings on the bench in case someone needs to be tagged, or some other role player. And no worries if they play game time equivalent to a green vest. I think our squad is as versatile as it's been in yonks and it'd be sweet to take advantage of that.

Whose list do you reckon would benefit from additional bums on the bench more than us? I find it really interesting to think about.

I reckon it'd help us heaps! It covers a couple of deficiencies in our usual 22.

Lessens the difficulties we face having a second ruck, which other sides might fill instead with an extra runner. Imagine: Naitanui with shorter quarters and our midfield rotations won't suffer from a second ruck playing 50% game time.

Younger players like Allen, Brander and Petch (perhaps also Cameron or Xon) – a handful of whom we're gunna pump games into anyway – will be fresher late game.

We'd have the flexibility to just sit Hutchings on the bench in case someone needs to be tagged, or some other role player. And no worries if they play game time equivalent to a green vest. I think our squad is as versatile as it's been in yonks and it'd be sweet to take advantage of that.

Whose list do you reckon would benefit from additional bums on the bench more than us? I find it really interesting to think about.

Yeah agreed could help us, clubs like Richmond or Collingwood who have 15 of the exact same player won't have the same sort of versatility we do - OAllen, Petch, Hutchings etc are all players who we struggle to find a role for at times in a regular season 22 but could offer a lot when we're not as stressed about the team balance of who we're bringing

Shep Barrass Hurn
Jetta Gov Duggan

Gaff Kelly Brander

Sheed Darling Ah Chee
Cripps JK Ryan

On the bench we have:

Needs more Rotham over Xon. Rotham has shown nothing but upside in his limited games.

Arguably even Hutchings adds more, the ability to tag out a player who's on a hot streak.

Mad respect for the Ah-Chee inclusion, would love to see him make it part of our best 22.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here.

Not too many teams have a capable 3rd or 4th forward (Oallen and Waterman) - so for us if there is a dip in form or output during a game, or heaven forbid an injury, then we have very capable replacements to be able to play 2 tall forwards at least at all times (3 if conditions and form suits) Then it also allows us the flexibility to go smaller in the forward line if required - and rotate talls more.

I think another benefit will be the Brander on the wing experiment. Reality is he is going to have some average games, and some poor games (and hopefully some good ones) - with an extra runner on the bench we can adjust his game time to suit his output.

Of course there is the additional benefit (for all teams) to get exposure into younger players who may be 23/24/25 in line - a risk they may not take with a standard 4-man bench. This is a chance to impress (or not) for younger players especially with the suggested list cuts coming up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS.

No tagger in the first few rounds. With all due respect to Hutch, it forces Simmo in to a more aggressive midfield structure, and that might not be such a bad thing.

Hope Hutch has a quick recovery.

Mark Hutchings is seen during a West Coast Eagles training session at Optus Stadium in Perth

Tim Kelly and Nic Naitanui warm up

TRAINING NOTES: West Coast’s best battle those fighting for a spot, midfield clicks while Hutchings hobbles

West Coast held their second full contact training session on Friday as the return to football nears.
It was the likely best 22 against those fighting for a spot in their second match simulation session of the week.
Hurt Hutchings
Premiership tagger Mark Hutchings did not join the main session today, instead running laps while his teammates partook in match simulation.
The 29-year-old looked uncomfortable as he lightly jogged laps and did some kick to kick with an official. Hutchings struggled last year with hamstring injuries and misses selection in round one as he was squeezed out of a strong midfield.
Mark Hutchings is seen during a West Coast Eagles training session at Optus Stadium in Perth Credit: RICHARD WAINWRIGHT/AAPIMAGE
Dream Start
Kelly to Kennedy, hits him lace out. It’s the commentary every Eagles fan hopes to hear and it is how the match simulation started.
Gun recruit Tim Kelly had two touches in the first minute before hitting Josh Kennedy inside 50.
The two-time Coleman medallist missed the chance, but it was a good start none the less.
Kelly followed it up later with a similar kick to Jack Darling, showing why he is a forward's dream.
Tim Kelly and Nic Naitanui warm up Credit: Paul Kane/Getty Images
Slick Hands
The Eagles midfield is a scary prospect and it looks like they have lost none of their touch in isolation.
The quick handballing out of congestion to get the ball to a player in the clear was noticeably slick and it’s good to see given the lack of group sessions since March.
Kelly, Elliot Yeo and Andrew Gaff were standouts with the ball in hand, while Jamie Cripps found plenty of room at half forward to hit their big targets inside 50.
Allen Everywhere
Third year Eagle Oscar Allen appears to be first in line to back up star Nic Naitanui in the ruck when the season resumes.
The 21-year-old partnered the All Australian against Tom Hickey and Bailey Williams during the match simulation, taking over after Naitanui did the bulk of the work early.
Allen, who had ankle, knee and hernia troubles during the pre-season, looked fit and firing during the session, leading strongly and flying high in a number of contests.
He then joined those three in ruck work after two halves of the practice game.

Oscar Allen grapples with star Josh Kennedy.

Tom Hickey in four-man battle to partner West Coast star Nic Naitanui in Eagles ruck

Ruckman Tom Hickey is in a four-way battle with his fellow West Coast big men to partner star Nic Naitanui in a fortnight against the Gold Coast, as their round two team begins to take shape.
With most of the Eagles’ squad fit heading into next month’s the Queensland hub, the Eagles’ best 22 almost picks itself, coach Adam Simpson says the second ruck spot held by Hickey in round one is up for grabs.
Premiership tagger Mark Hutchings is set to miss up to a month after minor knee surgery, while exciting small forward Jarrod Cameron was ruled out for the clash against Gold Coast by Simpson after only getting through his first full training run yesterday following a pubic bone injury.

Premiership duo Daniel Venables (concussion) and Willie Rioli (ASADA suspension) are all but ruled out in 2020, while young midfielder Mitch O’Neill (back) is also on the sidelines.
Third-year tall Oscar Allen has come back from isolation firing after an injury-interrupted pre-season and partnered star Naitanui against Hickey and second-year tall Bailey Williams in match simulation yesterday, with premiership big man Nathan Vardy playing mainly up forward.
Simpson said Allen was one of a number of contenders for the second ruck spot in their game against the Suns in a fortnight.
“(Allen) is in the mix with probably four or five options really with Vardy, Hickey, Oscar; Bailey Williams was going pretty well until he hurt his hamstring,” he said.
“That second ruck position, obviously Hickey held that round one, but that is the one which is probably up for grabs and he knows that.
“Oscar was chasing the clock a little bit going into round one.”
West Coast are yet to determine how many players they will take to Queensland for the four-week block of fixtures, but Simpson was confident all would make themselves available.
“We’re still yet to get a definitive answer from all the players, but at this stage it looks as most, if not all, will be travelling,” he said.
“We think everyone’s going to be right to go and they’ll be able to get through it, but they’ve got to work through it themselves and we will back them in whatever they do.”
Simpson said the AFL’s call on whether the Eagles and Dockers should be allowed access to extra football staff while based on the Gold Coast was an “obvious” one and he believed it would go their way.

I was hoping we'd start leaving Hutchings out in 2020, silver lining for his injury is now that's a forced decision.

Nobody worth tagging against Fold Coast. Got Redden or Yeo if we need to shut down someone from Brisbane, Port or Richmond.
Sextant is a danger when he is on and he was really on in the first part of 2019. Nelson is next in line as tgger and would be who I would look at to man up Sextant.

Remove this Banner Ad

2020 Preseason training Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back