2020 Scratch Matches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rantall’s kicking looked okay.

Scharenberg really enjoyed that goal of his, good for him.

Tohill so light on... interesting as a forward prospect but a long way off it physically at this stage.

Rantall kicked well in the preseason game too vs senior bodies. Think the kicking thing has either been over stated or completely misread like Naughtons was pre draft.

I don't know about anyone else but the player who looked AFL quality from that was Rantall. Tohill looked ok too.
Always hard to say from highlights but lots of Rantalls ball use stood out, hit 4 or so targets inside 50 nicely. Tohills goals were all good, none easy gets, maybe some size and he may be handy but He’s that usual “Hine” size we seem to have 190-192cm.... lynchy keeps playing well it seems, I’m hopeful he can develop into a swing man...

Some nice things from the video, even given it's a club-sourced puff piece.

Agree on the sentiments re: Rantall, hope he can see some senior action this year.

Bianco too, perhaps more so if our season slips away from here

Wills and Broomhead destined to look a million bucks at that level but can't hack the step up.

Always hard to say from highlights but lots of Rantalls ball use stood out, hit 4 or so targets inside 50 nicely. Tohills goals were all good, none easy gets, maybe some size and he may be handy but He’s that usual “Hine” size we seem to have 190-192cm.... lynchy keeps playing well it seems, I’m hopeful he can develop into a swing man...

Bruz Tohill is 198cm. I dunno why Pies official has him at 191cm pretty much pissing on supporters backs whilst telling them it's raining!

The 18-year-old, who is 6'6" tall, has said he was keen to try forging a pro career in Australian football.

Collingwood were runners-up in the 2018 AFL Grand Final, losing to the West Coast Eagles.

Apart from all the other numerous and well documented challenges this year, getting a handle on the true form of players in the twos is another one. VFL form is one thing - but scratch match form?

Difficult year for playing the kids. With our injuries we are desperate for some to be ready, but it’s so hard to judge.

Also badly missing the assessments of our famed VFL watchers, and Jen’s training updates.:(

Stumbling around in the dark here!

I don't know about anyone else but the player who looked AFL quality from that was Rantall. Tohill looked ok too.

Dude, Broomhead’s disposalwas elite in those clips. Not just the 3 goals.
As it was on the AFL a few weeks ago. But he’s not a forward And at AFL level there’s not that space.

T Brown looked good, as did no 35 (Rantall?) and 34? Wouldn’t be opposed to seeing tohill get a game After that.

What ever happened to Wilson?

but anyway, enough of Dunn, Varcoe, Thomas, C Brown, Mayne, Phillips. We know exactly what they offer now. And it’s no longer enough.

As it was on the AFL a few weeks ago. But he’s not a forward And at AFL level there’s not that space.

T Brown looked good, as did no 35 (Rantall?) and 34? Wouldn’t be opposed to seeing tohill get a game After that.

but anyway, enough of Dunn, Varcoe, Thomas, C Brown, Mayne, Phillips. We know exactly what they offer now. And it’s no longer enough.
Broomhead has got nice disposal, but he's simply too slow for AFL footy. Against lower competition (not to mention 12v12 or whatever they're playing) he has space, as you say.

Rantall is #35, and Bianco is #34. T Brown looks more likely than Cal in my eyes.

Wilson featured in the video posted on YouTube. Looked to be playing as a high forward. Look for #48.

Got a chuckle out of guys like Cal Brown and Wills running/handballing themselves into trouble even in scratch matches

Broomhead has got nice disposal, but he's simply too slow for AFL footy. Against lower competition (not to mention 12v12 or whatever they're playing) he has space, as you say.

Rantall is #35, and Bianco is #34. T Brown looks more likely than Cal in my eyes.

Wilson featured in the video posted on YouTube. Looked to be playing as a high forward. Look for #48.

Got a chuckle out of guys like Cal Brown and Wills running/handballing themselves into trouble even in scratch matches

Thanks man. Rantall and Bianco and Tyler look like some future. And I'm now at the point where I think we have to bite the bullet and take 2 steps back and do a mini-rebuild. Hopes for Wilson, but he seems to have disappeared. Maybe one of the Irish boys might come through but we really need now to get some more key position players (apart from Will Kelly).

I'm happy enough for Cal Brown and Wills to fill a role as long as there's only one of them in the team. 2010 we had Blair. That's them.

Yeah, agree Broomhead is too slow for a forward at AFL level -- as we saw the other week with his pitiful numbers (but slick when he had it) -- which is why I'd give him more time on the wing or occasionally in the middle (his hardball gets at VFL lever were always good). He's naturally an inside/outside midfielder. I'm thinking Mayne's/Phillips position on wing (neither of whom are quick). I'd try it anyway for a few games because "connection" and disposal is such an issue for us. Our game plan relies on excellent skills -- think about Treloar, Phillips, and the other "bombers." Howe's loss is huge ... etc.

Thanks man. Rantall and Bianco and Tyler look like some future. And I'm now at the point where I think we have to bite the bullet and take 2 steps back and do a mini-rebuild. Hopes for Wilson, but he seems to have disappeared. Maybe one of the Irish boys might come through but we really need now to get some more key position players (apart from Will Kelly).

I'm happy enough for Cal Brown and Wills to fill a role as long as there's only one of them in the team. 2010 we had Blair. That's them.

Yeah, agree Broomhead is too slow for a forward at AFL level -- as we saw the other week with his pitiful numbers (but slick when he had it) -- which is why I'd give him more time on the wing or occasionally in the middle (his hardball gets at VFL lever were always good). He's naturally an inside/outside midfielder. I'm thinking Mayne's/Phillips position on wing (neither of whom are quick). I'd try it anyway for a few games because "connection" and disposal is such an issue for us. Our game plan relies on excellent skills -- think about Treloar, Phillips, and the other "bombers." Howe's loss is huge ... etc.
The mini-rebuild might be necessary, if only because we're so struck by injury. With Sidey out I'd hope to see one of Bianco or Rantall get blooded. Not sure about Wilson, it's hard with no genuine reserve competition to watch. I think Tohill is a chance. He looked strong against Brisbane, and he's much taller than Collingwood lists him. He's around 198cm, so legit KPP size. Whether he's strong enough is a difference concern.

I'd prefer Cal, if only because he's actually young (Wills is 27! Hard to believe he's older than Tay). I also think if our team is up and about Cal will be better.

That might not be a bad move for Broomy, but not sure if can crack back into the team. He seems pidgeonholed as a forward by our coaches

Tohill is 198cm

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wilson featured a lot in that video. Watch it again.

The mini-rebuild might be necessary, if only because we're so struck by injury. With Sidey out I'd hope to see one of Bianco or Rantall get blooded. Not sure about Wilson, it's hard with no genuine reserve competition to watch. I think Tohill is a chance. He looked strong against Brisbane, and he's much taller than Collingwood lists him. He's around 198cm, so legit KPP size. Whether he's strong enough is a difference concern.

I'd prefer Cal, if only because he's actually young (Wills is 27! Hard to believe he's older than Tay). I also think if our team is up and about Cal will be better.

That might not be a bad move for Broomy, but not sure if can crack back into the team. He seems pidgeonholed as a forward by our coaches

Yep, the pidgeonholing can wreck a career. I think of Mayne being pursued as a forward for so long, all the forwards who have been moved back and been revelations (Howe?).

We’re facing challenges. Things aren’t working. That’s when to make moves not when things were working (Philips to half forward? Huh?)

Very hard to judge properly based on edited footage of a limited numbers match but both Tyler Brown and Jay Rantall seem to have exciting future's ahead of them. From the little I've seen of them they seem to have very encouraging qualities, I'm bullish that they will form the backbone of our next great midfield.

Looked like T. Brown was a lot more confident with his kicking. Had some nice passes. I reckon that would have been part of his feedback when he was dropped. They know he’s good with his hands around the stoppages but needs to work on his kicking.

Bruz Tohill is 198cm. I dunno why Pies official has him at 191cm pretty much pissing on supporters backs whilst telling them it's raining!

Haha I did think he looked taller than everyone! That makes sense then! Ok let’s hope he puts on a few kgs! He makes Eric Hipwood look like Arnold Schwarzenegger

Last edited:
Thanks Jen.
Few observations, like the way Tohill moves, nice kick for goal too, Rantall seemed everywhere...very heartening to see Langdon out their!
Any news on Murphy? Did he play?
No Word on Murphy, He is an emergency, so maybe hold over? Given that wills, shaz and brown all played in the scratch match and they are the other emergencies.

Remove this Banner Ad

2020 Scratch Matches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back