List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Targets

Remove this Banner Ad

The Fantasia and Alir deals reek of our club adopting the “topping up cause we’re nearly there” mentality which is proven to be the dumbest recruiting strategy in the history of sports.
If we can use 2nd rounders and not over pay salary wise I am all for it.

We have nailed it lately trading out of drafts we don't like and into ones we do.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Not sure it’s topping up because we are close. We’re still bringing in good kids in the next 2 drafts to go with last years untried crop. We need a small forward to free up Rozee and butters for midfield time. The one thing we can guarantee Alir is he’ll never be our main ruck option, I’m sure that’s why he’s interested in us. More than happy to have both on our list.

I disagree you need to try and get better every yr you can't stand still.

And going after under-performing but ready to play in a hole we think needs filling types that come at a above average asking price thanks to being contracted and in orazios case overrated comes off as a win how often?

it’s a strategy that should make us very nervous.

Dixon Rockliff watts Ryder and Motlop didn’t move the needle and that group is infinitely better players than Alir and orazio who were bargain pickups due to free agency / and or clubs wanting them gone / them threatening to walk out due to a drug program.

we should be approaching players on a separate claim, ie are they a quality player and base that against their cost.

plugging in “player x could get us here though” wrecks the equation and you start getting whatever result you wanted when you went in looking for.

The Fantasia and Alir deals reek of our club adopting the “topping up cause we’re nearly there” mentality which is proven to be the dumbest recruiting strategy in the history of sports.

Just about everyone here has said:

1) we are really old
2) we have no KPDs
3) we need more depth

Getting Orazio and AA would solve all of those. Constable too if we can get him.

If we can use 2nd rounders and not over pay salary wise I am all for it.

We have nailed it lately trading out of drafts we don't like and into ones we do.

Yes. And they’ve identified next years draft.
As it stands there’s no way known we get orazio, Alir and improve our hand in next years draft. As it stands orazio and Alir will almost certainly cost us 2 2nds + more and leave us either trading next years picks or going into deficit.

so we’re hampering that draft team you regard so highly.

We need a small forward to free up Rozee and butters for midfield time.

I reject the premise that we need small forwards to release butters and rozee into the midfield. It’s flawed logic

we had small forwards that couldn’t break into our side, woodcock for example got dropped while in good form.

we had a logjam of midfielders, struggling to get games into drew, rocky fighting to get into the side and Houston had to go back to the backlines.

our midfield + rozees injury was the reason we weren’t playing them in the midfield.

1) we are really old
2) we have no KPDs
3) we need more depth

Getting Orazio and AA would solve all of those. Constable too if we can get him.
Our biggest problem IMO is that we need class in the middle to deliver the ball i50.

IF OF can free up Rozee and Butters into the middle and IF they can reach their potential there we could be in for years of joy.

1) we are really old
2) we have no KPDs
3) we need more depth

yeah, except if you’re topping up and think it’s the difference between success and failure it can lead to bad decisions and history (in sports and elsewhere) shows that.

Nothing wrong with stocking more kpps or depth

but if you start thinking they’re the difference or solution you start overlooking the cost cause you balance it against what you think will happen versus their actual worth.

orazio and (Possibly Alir) appear to be way overpriced and bad decisions like that often end unsurprisingly badly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We would be stupid to promise him a starting position.
And he would be stupid to come here without that.
Disagree. It is dumb if it is done instead of going to the draft. Uniquely, in 2021 we already have Williams, Bergman, Mead, Jones and Schofield as virtual “new draftees” with Jace Burgoyne around the corner. We will still have the best U25 squad in 2021 and 2022.

If we were blindly topping up because we are almost there, we would be asking about Treloar, Tom McDonald etc. I suspect we are still at 95% salary cap (and we are able to go to 105% as I understand it.).

Our biggest problem IMO is that we need class in the middle to deliver the ball i50.

IF OF can free up Rozee and Butters into the middle and IF they can reach their potential there we could be in for years of joy.

Agree totally but we need forwards that can lead and mark .
All we have in the marking department is Charlie.
Marshall runs around like an unregulated dog doing sweet FA.
We rely to much on medium to small forwards to out mark taller defenders.

I have heard from someone close to him that he is interested in hearing out what Ken Hinkley has to say, and if he is guaranteed a starting spot in our defence he will be interested in coming. He does not want to leave a starting position in Sydneys side to come here and play SANFL

On ELS-AN10 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Cheers. No-one is entitled to a guarantee though...I hope that's not literally what he's after.

Fantasia just turned 25 and Aliir just turned 26.

Doesn't scream "topping up cause we're nearly there" at all.

We currently have 4 players in our best 22 aged between 26-28 (Wines, Lycett, Clurey, McKenzie). Aliir would be an upgrade on 2 of these and Fantasia potentially replace a 29 year old Motlop from the best 22.

It is getting younger not older and isn't tipping up at an "all in" type premiership recruiting off-season.

Sydney getting Hickey might be the key to them relenting on Aliir. But they are saying Hickey deal might not get done until the last minute.

Looks like he has about 10kg on our current backline, so he's going to be better equipped to deal with them.

Still hoping we don't go too hard for Orazio, he'd be an OK addition but not worth selling the farm for.

Alir is traditionally poor if you try to make him play one on one.

the closest comparison for him is westhoff when he played back.

Yes. And they’ve identified next years draft.
As it stands there’s no way known we get orazio, Alir and improve our hand in next years draft. As it stands orazio and Alir will almost certainly cost us 2 2nds + more and leave us either trading next years picks or going into deficit.

so we’re hampering that draft team you regard so highly.

I reject the premise that we need small forwards to release butters and rozee into the midfield. It’s flawed logic

we had small forwards that couldn’t break into our side, woodcock for example got dropped while in good form.

we had a logjam of midfielders, struggling to get games into drew, rocky fighting to get into the side and Houston had to go back to the backlines.

our midfield + rozees injury was the reason we weren’t playing them in the midfield.
Butters and Rozee turning out to be A grade midfielder gets us closer to a flag than Drew Rocky ect. Orazio at his best gets us closer to a flag than Woodcock and I’m a massive fan of his.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Targets

Remove this Banner Ad

Back