Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

kennedy was recruited as a big bodied mid but doesnt have the speed and agility needed. But he was always a great mark. He could become a full time forward with his marking ability. And the agility thing is good enough for a forward of his type IMO

Forgot to mention he is a dead eye dick kick for goal

Exactly, far too valuable in the backline. Besides he looked a bit lost in the guts. His sure ball handling seems to leave him.
He racks up 35 or so touches in defence anyway, so would be silly to take that away.
Absolute gun, could be the best half back/ CHB we've had since Doull i reckon
Maybe one day...one day....some of us may stop talking about Docherty as a midfield need. :)

Happy having Docherty direct the back-line, Cripps the midfield and...and...someone in the forward line.

On SM-T515 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is that the case? I sort of get it on surface value as one may say that Stephenson and Richards/Higgins may have been the better outcome.

Stephenson and Higgins were classic cases of landing at the right club who had the positional need that suited their already developed skill sets perfectly.

Put them elsewhere and I don't think they'd have enjoyed the same starts to their careers.

Yeah let’s hope that was more groin related, although it was a worry for me after watching him in the VFL early days, let’s hope he can develop a good routine with Sav over the rest of pre season and it won’t become a long term problem.
McKay kicked 19.17 in his 1st 13 games last year & then 7.13 in his last 7 games. I think there is little doubt his inaccuracy in the latter part of the season was related to his groin injury. If you watch his kicking style in the latter part of the season, there was not a lot of power.

Sammy Doc, Mic'd Up - absolutely ******* outstanding.

So easy to forget what a leader this bloke is on-field after a few years off the park. His awareness, vision, game sense and direction are top shelf. Teammate takes a mark, and Doc knows where the ball needs to go next and how, and is directing his teammate before they've even looked upfield.

Watch Jones go to another level with this bloke spotting for him.

I honestly think Doc is the difference between a bottom 6 finish and playing finals.

I couldn't agree more with you B_B except for the one point - this was NEVER forgotten by me.

IMO, when Doc did his knee the first time it was a "sliding doors" moment for Carlton's 2018 season. (I simply shook my head in utter disbelief the second time it happened). I still maintain to this day that Doc is the most important player in our team* and I'm genuinely hoping that more and more people come around to my outlandish view once Doc is back on the field during H&A.

* Caveat: I'm fully aware that in a team sport like AFL this kind of claim is a bit over the top. I mean, what about Cripps? What about XXX? (- The list could go on a little.) It's just that I felt that supporters and non-supporters alike need(ed) to be reminded that Doc WILL be recruit of the year should he step back onto the park to pickup where he left off at the end of Aug 2017.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

and when injury free all of kennedy, mcmarkymark, mckay and charlie are all ripping kicks at goal..........eddie is another, martin's goal sense from the little I've seen looks handy as well........

Marchbank? Really? He's kicking from the backline is not what I would call one of his weapons. Better when shooting at goal? Interesting as I've never seen him play forward. Did he play forward as a youngster?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t wait to see him get a good run at it now he is over his ankle problems, which as we know from Daisy and others take a while to get over, a beautiful kick of the ball whether for goal or passing to someone else, a real asset if he can play a Caddy type role for us, also has a good footy brain I think. 👍🏽

I think Daisy said when he had his ankle problem something along the lines of "Kicking the football was like hitting a cricket ball with a thong"

Marchbank? Really? He's kicking from the backline is not what I would call one of his weapons. Better when shooting at goal? Interesting as I've never seen him play forward. Did he play forward as a youngster?

Yes, Marchbank showed some promise as a hit up forward as a junior and a couple of games early in his career

But that suggestion won't bode well around here

Significant rain overnight. Don't need to inspect to know it's going to be very wet out there. It is a brilliant regional ground, with a couple of decent adjoining grounds available as well.

Not raining ATM, but bigger falls predicted during the day. They are clearly hoping the worst will come later. Fair to say normal patterns give this a chance of happening. Very breezy and a few lighter patches among the gloom.

Significant rain overnight. Don't need to inspect to know it's going to be very wet out there. It is a brilliant regional ground, with a couple of decent adjoining grounds available as well.

Not raining ATM, but bigger falls predicted during the day. They are clearly hoping the worst will come later. Fair to say normal patterns give this a chance of happening. Very breezy and a few lighter patches among the gloom.
No not started yet. Don't forget no daylight savings here Vics.

Yes, Marchbank showed some promise as a hit up forward as a junior and a couple of games early in his career

Don't think it helps him secure a spot in the 22 though, if that's what the line of thinking is.

Marchy needs to make that third defender spot his own, and he can absolutely do it but it'll take more than just being good at floating around and intercepting a few balls a game. I'm underselling him a bit, because he's definitely more than that, but the consideration is going to come down to Marchbank vs. an offensive player like Newman, Willo, maybe SPS, or even Stocker, Cottrell or Kemp. If Weiters/Jones/Plowman/Doc can stymie most opposition entries, it places more value on a line-breaking option or a precision ball-user.

Don't think it helps him secure a spot in the 22 though, if that's what the line of thinking is.

Marchy needs to make that third defender spot his own, and he can absolutely do it but it'll take more than just being good at floating around and intercepting a few balls a game. I'm underselling him a bit, because he's definitely more than that, but the consideration is going to come down to Marchbank vs. an offensive player like Newman, Willo, maybe SPS, or even Stocker, Cottrell or Kemp. If Weiters/Jones/Plowman/Doc can stymie most opposition entries, it places more value on a line-breaking option or a precision ball-user.

It will be an interesting year for Marchbank, on pure talent many would consider him best 22, but who makes way

Not concerned with the height, Jones, Weitering, Plowman, Marchbank, Doc, Simmo all have good speed and agility, but there is very little rebounding/run and carry from that group.

Leaving Newman out for Marchbank also decreases our footskills coming out of the back half.

Perhaps we could use our wing options, such as Walsh, Newnes, LOB Willo, etc to help exiting the ball, if we do decide to play a taller backline

Perhaps we could use our wing options, such as Walsh, Newnes, LOB Willo, etc to help exiting the ball, if we do decide to play a taller backline

What about Philp?
The profile looks very suitable for what we're looking for in the backline.

There is also Cottrell. Have a good feeling about him.....still.

What about Philp?
The profile looks very suitable for what we're looking for in the backline.

There is also Cottrell. Have a good feeling about him.....still.

Yeah I like Cottrell, get the feeling he will get a crack this year. Would be a perfect match up for the endurance runners Gaff, Phillips, etc that run all day. None of those types have massive steps, so Cottrell would find it easier

Stephenson and Higgins were classic cases of landing at the right club who had the positional need that suited their already developed skill sets perfectly.

Put them elsewhere and I don't think they'd have enjoyed the same starts to their careers.

Exactly, plus none of the top 4 have made any huge strides and the question marks surrounding them pre-draft still remain: will Dow put on the necessary size, and are his footskills up to scratch? Will Raynor have the capacity to move into the midfield and is he dominating junior future due to his body size? Will LDU’s game transfer to AFL? Is Brayshaw’s ceiling somewhat low?

Time will tell on all, but we will be able to integrate Dow one way or another. I also don’t see why there is such angst for playing him as a forward while building his midfield game. Not every player makes it to be the player they were drafted as, and he still has years to work on his midfield craft and get to where he needs to be. Developing him in the VFL does him no good and actually robs us of another damaging player who can hit the scoreboard while pinch hitting off a wing/at the stoppages where possible.

Marchie is 0 for 3 at goal in his AFL career and my assessment is he isn't a particularly reliable kick in the backline and has missed easy ones up forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back