Game Day 2021 Finals Matchday Supernova End of days thread

Who will you be barracking for in the grand final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Itā€™s funny but I reckon the 2017 GF was a real sliding doors moment, had we won most teams wouldā€™ve tried to copy us, but because we were completely exposed most teams went towards the high pressure, repeat forward entries style that was so effective for the Tigers.

Definitely been a lot better this year. Even our style of footy has been really good to watch for most of the season.

Geelongā€™s slower kick and mark style of play getting absolutely exposed by Melbourneā€™s much faster style could be the best thing for footy moving forward.

Interesting to see the different styles that evolve. Hawthorn perfected the slower, precision kicking style. I wonder if that might come back to counter the fast chaos ball style weā€™re seeing now

The skills werenā€™t better, the game style was just more open and conducive to skilful play. Really watch some of the kicks they produce, thereā€™s no way itā€™s better than the AFL players now.

Pretty much this.

It's only a nostalgia bias that you'd argue an older era had more skilled players. Especially as in the modern day, you've got to deal with the nightmare scenario that teams have clued on that the most efficient way to win a football match, and premierships is through defensive work. Thus raising the skill level needed to even be able to pull off the basics.

Last edited:
Pretty much this.

It's only a nostalgia bias that you'd argue an older era had more skilled players. Especially as in the modern day, you've got to deal with the nightmare scenario that teams have clued on that the most efficient way to win a football match, and premierships is through defensive work raising the skill level needed to even be able to pull off basic skills.

I also think thereā€™s the fact that the majority of the time when people watch replays of old games theyā€™re usually involving the top sides or theyā€™re evenly matched contests. Itā€™s rare that youā€™ll watch the equivalent of us vs North in R23 from years gone by.

Theres no excuse for this absolutely disgusting behavior from this bride to be.

All weekends in september and early october (given bathurst is on around this time too) should be banned as potential wedding dates.

fu**in the nerve of some womenā€¦
My wedding was the 6th of October

The game is more congested now which makes skill execution so much harder.
Check out 70s/80s footage of suburban grounds for congestion - the difference is an umpire used to blow a whistle to get the ball out of the area . Now with too many people having internet access the AFL have conceded to the 'do nothing' mantra

Pretty much this.

It's only a nostalgia bias that you'd argue an older era had more skilled players. Especially as in the modern day, you've got to deal with the nightmare scenario that teams have clued on that the most efficient way to win a football match, and premierships is through defensive work raising the skill level needed to even be able to pull off basic skills.

I reckon the sweet spot for AFL was mid nighties to 2003.

Footballers had become full time but the coaching hadn't "progressed" to the defensive snooze fest most games follow.

I use to watch 6 or 7 games a round as the game was so entertaining, these days I watch our game and would be lucky to watch another to its conclusion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember my sister had her wedding the day of the 1989 VFL Grand Final (Hawthorn vs Geelong - the classic). She and my parents were afraid I wouldnā€™t turn up to it.

Who in their right mind has a wedding on AFL Grand Final Day?
That's why you plan it for the week after, like I did in 2010.

Pretty much this.

It's only a nostalgia bias that you'd argue an older era had more skilled players. Especially as in the modern day, you've got to deal with the nightmare scenario that teams have clued on that the most efficient way to win a football match, and premierships is through defensive work. Thus raising the skill level needed to even be able to pull off the basics.
Removing the biff has allowed the defensive work to increase.
Rocket Maynard grabs Lockett.
Lockett says do it again and I will flatten you.
Defensiveness significantly reduced.

I reckon the sweet spot for AFL was mid nighties to 2003.

Footballers had become full time but the coaching hadn't "progressed" to the defensive snooze fest most games follow.

I use to watch 6 or 7 games a round as the game was so entertaining, these days I watch our game and would be lucky to watch another to its conclusion.

If you are talking about the mid-nightie sweet spot, perhaps you are in the wrong thread? (Although, weddings have been mentioned.) :)

i heard on the radio this morning that Neale Daniher may have been given special permission to enter WA for the GF, has anyone heard if he has

Youā€™d assume given his condition heā€™s probably more or less been in quarantine for a while.*

*I have limited knowledge as to if people with MND are more susceptible to COVID and happy to be corrected.

What happened in 2010?

The first grand final draw Collingwood vs St Kilda, replay the week after which Collingwood thrashed St Kilda.

One of those GROTTO fun facts - Collingwood has not won a VFL/AFL Grand Final in September since 1958. Both wins in 1990 and 2010 were in October.

2 weeks after.......in case of a tie?

Edit** ah I see what you did here šŸ˜‚
Wife is a school teacher and school went back two weeks after the (original) GF day. Only chance to have a decent honeymoon was to have it the middle week of school holidays (the week after the GF).

I still remember the conversation like it was yesterday because she also definitely didn't want the GF on our wedding day.
Her: And that's definitely the week after the GF?
Me: Yep. Well... as long as they don't draw.
Her: What?
Me: They play it again the week after if they draw.
Her: Serious?
Me: Yeah but don't worry, it's only ever happened twice in 110 years.

I can't believe I didn't put a cheeky $50 bet on a draw as insurance.

Wife is a school teacher and school went back two weeks after the (original) GF day. Only chance to have a decent honeymoon was to have it the middle week of school holidays (the week after the GF).

I still remember the conversation like it was yesterday because she also definitely didn't want the GF on our wedding day.
Her: And that's definitely the week after the GF?
Me: Yep. Well... as long as they don't draw.
Her: What?
Me: They play it again the week after if they draw.
Her: Serious?
Me: Yeah but don't worry, it's only ever happened twice in 110 years.

I can't believe I didn't put a cheeky $50 bet on a draw as insurance.
All week in the lead up i was telling everyone it would be a draw (Collingwood cant win one in October, st Kilda cant win one full stop)
Should've put money on it and put my money where my mouth was.

The first grand final draw Collingwood vs St Kilda, replay the week after which Collingwood thrashed St Kilda.

One of those GROTTO fun facts - Collingwood has not won a VFL/AFL Grand Final in September since 1958. Both wins in 1990 and 2010 were in October.
That may go some way in explaining why Port claim to have won so many premierships. They are counting the ones they won in March each year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2021 Finals Matchday Supernova End of days thread

Back