List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Academy, Contracts, Trading & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Some more trade and draft resources. Courtesy of Lore.

Key Off-Season Dates
This is a comprehensive list including dates for draft combines, list lodgements, delisted free agency windows and return to train dates. I had to collate these from three different club websites because the AFL is lazy af and doesn't have it on their website, so thought it might be helpful to share:

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

Grand Final

Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Friday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10
Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16
WA: Sunday October 17
NSW & ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Wednesday November 3 – Tuesday November 9

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 11 – Monday November 15

AFL Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)

Pre-Season Christmas Break
Sunday December 19 - Sunday January 9

Draft Order & Future Pick Tracker

FAQs & Resources Thread

It has an index at the top with threadmarks so it's easy to find what you're looking for – or easier than scrolling through 250 pages of AFL Rules, Regulations and CBA pdfs anyway.

These sorts of questions are all answered along with a bunch of other resources made by posters from across BigFooty (feel free to add to it!):

GWS List Summary

Senior List

33: 36 less delisted Shipley & Hutchesson, delisted Wehr (to be reselected in rookie draft), traded Finlayson, plus DFA signing of Brander. 3 to 5 spots available at ND.

1 Phil Davis - 2022
2 Jacob Hopper - 2023
3 Stephen Coniglio - 2026
4 Toby Greene - 2026
5 Tanner Bruhn - 2022
6 Lachie Whitfield - 2027
7 Lachlan Ash - 2023
8 Callan Ward - 2022
9 Ryan Angwin - 2022
10 Jacob Wehr - 2022 [delisted with an agreement to select in the rookie draft]
11 Brayden Preuss - 2023
12 Tom Green - 2023
13 Isaac Cumming - 2022
14 Tim Taranto - 2022
15 Sam Taylor - 2025
16 Brent Daniels - 2025
18 Conor Stone - 2024
19 Nick Haynes - 2024
22 Josh Kelly - 2029
23 Jesse Hogan - 2022
24 Matthew De Boer - 2022
25 Lachlan Keeffe - 2022
26 Jake Riccardi - 2023
27 Harry Himmelberg - 2023
29 Cam Fleeton - 2022
30 Matt Flynn - 2023
32 Kieran Briggs - 2022
33 Xavier O'Halloran - 2022
36 Harry Perryman - 2022
37 Ian Hill - 2022
39 Connor Idun - 2022
40 Adam Kennedy - 2022
44 Jack Buckley - 2022

+ Jarrod Brander - 2022 (selected in first DFA window)

Rookie List - A

4: 7 less delisted Reid & Buntine, retired Shane Mumford. 0 to 2 spots available for rookie draft.

28 Zach Sproule - 2022
38 Daniel Lloyd - 2022
42 Jake Stein - 2022
45 James Peatling - 2022

Rookie List - B

2: full

35 Will Shaw - 2022
46 Callum M Brown - 2022 (Irish international rookie, extended 1 year under COVID rules)

Last edited:
Its mostly because thats the stuff that gets general fans interested and invested moreso than listing a bunch of strengths, and with how much draft nights are now being pumped up the AFL want them interested.
I use it when I'm being lazy 😂
It's unavoidable, but amusing

He's a downgrade on both those players.
CCJ would be a great compliment to our current tall set up of Hogan and Himmelberg given he's that 200cm and can take a pack mark and be a main target, although he'd be taking the spot of someone like Flynn which would be unfortunate
It's unavoidable, but amusing
I do think my favourite is seeing every years multiple Dustin Martins/ Scott Pendlebury's

CCJ would be a great compliment to our current tall set up of Hogan and Himmelberg given he's that 200cm and can take a pack mark and be a main target, although he'd be taking the spot of someone like Flynn which would be unfortunate

I just see a younger version of Mason Cox in CCJ. The lack of physical presence and ability to ruck are real worries in terms of his development. I think Lobb was a better footballer at the same age and had more strings to his bow.

I just see a younger version of Mason Cox in CCJ. The lack of physical presence and ability to ruck are real worries in terms of his development. I think Lobb was a better footballer at the same age and had more strings to his bow.
My view also

The worst at comparing draftees to current players is undoubtedly Mick Ablett, he is bloody hopeless.
It took me a while to realise what you meant - I was trying to figure out who was being compared to Mick Ablett, who is Mick Ablett, and whether it was all meant to be a joke name like "he's could be as good as Gary but really he's more like Mick"?

Got it eventually!

The rumour about Lachie Neale, if true, will certainly shake up the trade period.

I do laugh, though, because the early weeks have centred on Cerra wanting to go back to Victoria, and Carlton fans (particularly) downplaying his price and Freo fans inflating it. The reverse is now starting, with Freo fans downplaying Neale's value (too old!). If he does leave, it could open the way for someone like Luke Parker or Tom Mitchell to head to the Lions to fill the gap (although personally, I'm not sure they need someone to reprise the Neale role in their team).

Hopefully there's no domino effect on us. Get Hopper's signature ASAP, GWS Management!

If the Lions go after someone I suspect it'll be Hopper over Parker. I thought Brisbane had been linked to him in the past? I know Parker was never mentioned until right now. I doubt this changes whatever decision Hopper makes though.

If the Lions go after someone I suspect it'll be Hopper over Parker. I thought Brisbane had been linked to him in the past? I know Parker was never mentioned until right now. I doubt this changes whatever decision Hopper makes though.

If I’m Brisbane this is a rubbish situation that will cost them short term. They really have to extract as much as they can which means demanding Pick 8 plus Young or Serong.

Young in my opinion is the next Nick Haynes an absolutely special talent whilst Serong is showing some real signs.

Im hearing this has delayed several other deals. Stay tuned!

Just quietly, have you seen Neale’s missus? I would ask for a trade to Mongolia if she wanted to go there!

If I’m Brisbane this is a rubbish situation that will cost them short term. They really have to extract as much as they can which means demanding Pick 8 plus Young or Serong.

Young in my opinion is the next Nick Haynes an absolutely special talent whilst Serong is showing some real signs.

Just quietly, have you seen Neale’s missus? I would ask for a trade to Mongolia if she wanted to go there!
The thing here is that Fremantle hold the cards, they dont need him that much and Neale is definitely going. They wont have to pay anywhwre near market value.
I reckon they get 7 for Cerra and flick that to Brisbane.

The thing here is that Fremantle hold the cards, they dont need him that much and Neale is definitely going. They wont have to pay anywhwre near market value.
I reckon they get 7 for Cerra and flick that to Brisbane.

They do from the moral family perspective in that sympathy will be with the player but ultimately he has 2 years to run and you have to give to get.

He’s won 2 B&F’s and a Brownlow and would have 3-4 more good years.With the contract that’s worth more than Pick 7.

The speculation today was Freo using the Cerra pick plus their natural 1st rounder for Neale and pick 14. I still reckon that is terribly unbalanced.

Lions need to hold their nerve on this and extract whatever they can. Dockers can’t have cake and eat it too, they need to give up a decent player if they want him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The speculation today was Freo using the Cerra pick plus their natural 1st rounder for Neale and pick 14. I still reckon that is terribly unbalanced.
My starting position was 6 and 8 for Neale and 18 (Melbourne's pick), which is probably biased towards Brisbane though hopefully not drastically so. Changing that to 14 is near enough that I don't care. However claims about his trade value effectively being a straight swap for Cerra boggles the mind.

My starting position was 6 and 8 for Neale and 18 (Melbourne's pick), which is probably biased towards Brisbane though hopefully not drastically so. Changing that to 14 is near enough that I don't care. However claims about his trade value effectively being a straight swap for Cerra boggles the mind.
I reckon given the circumstances you either hold him to his contract or you get either 6 or 8.

he is worth more, but I dont think you'll get it. I think Neale want Fremantle more than they want him.

you either hold him to his contract
My preferred option TBH, but I don't think it's realistic in this day and age unless Freo are demonstrably dishonest in their negotiations.

Im still keen to keep adding outside run and speed to our list. In drafting Callaghan we are absolutely addressing that need but I would want more. Im not too sure on who we go for in that second pick but we could look to the trade table to secure that outside player too.

Im skill keen on Clark from the cats. Could play as a winger or half forward and has outside run and pace with reasonable ball use. Looks likely to request a trade this year and I think he adds a point of difference to us as well

It will be interesting to see how Freo rolls in both the Neale and Cerra negotiations. We've seen them in our own McCarthy situation, the Hill trade to Saints, and the Hogan trade from Melbourne - now having both outgoing and potentially incoming trades, it's likely to be a major shitfight.

I suspect we'll see them ask for maximum value for Cerra, and wanting to pay minimal for Neale. (That's probably a Der! kind of statement. :)) It will depend on how malleable Peter Bell will be.

I'm always seen Cerra as a good player with high potential, but he falls short of say the Adam Treloar value based on output to date - the problem being that Freo are bullish on his potential but it's impossible to measure that. Carlton (assuming he get's there) pick #6 plus a second round, and possibly a third or fourth round coming back was where I see Cerra's value. (The respective starting points will be Freo wanting two firsts without splitting #6, and Carlton just pick #6 by itself.)

Neale went with pick #30 for picks #6, #19 & #55, so call it roughly a top 10 and the equivalent of a late second round value, but an early second round useable. The problem with measuring his value is that, while he left Freo with significant potential, that's been tapped at the Lions in the last 3 years (2 x B&F and a Brownlow), but he's now pushing towards age 30 and his number of years left is reducing. Plus, he doesn't actually (IMHO) fir a Freo need, which would be to replace Cerra, not get another inside midfielder. I think something like Freo's pick #8 and #27 (their current picks) with pick #18 (or #14) coming back might be around the mark, but Brisbane would no doubt want the best case scenario of the Carlton picks (#6 & #24).

It will be interesting.

I'm still keen to keep adding outside run and speed to our list. In drafting Callaghan we are absolutely addressing that need but I would want more. I'm not too sure on who we go for in that second pick but we could look to the trade table to secure that outside player too.

I'm skill keen on Clark from the cats. Could play as a winger or half forward and has outside run and pace with reasonable ball use. Looks likely to request a trade this year and I think he adds a point of difference to us as well

I must admit I am now very torn on what we need to do in the draft, which is dependent on what we can do across both trade and draft periods. After this year, I am more adamant that we need the run that someone like Callaghan can bring. But we also need to get at least one KPD in.

TBH, I have cooled on Clark, given the development of Cumming and Ash, plus Fahey coming in (presuming we want him!). I did want Clark previously, but he's struggled to make an impression at Geelong for a couple of years now (difficult to judge clearly given Cats' penchant for trading/playing ageing stars), and I think he might be superflous to needs if we get him now.

It will be interesting to see how Freo rolls in both the Neale and Cerra negotiations. We've seen them in our own McCarthy situation, the Hill trade to Saints, and the Hogan trade from Melbourne - now having both outgoing and potentially incoming trades, it's likely to be a major shitfight.

I suspect we'll see them ask for maximum value for Cerra, and wanting to pay minimal for Neale. (That's probably a Der! kind of statement. :)) It will depend on how malleable Peter Bell will be.

I'm always seen Cerra as a good player with high potential, but he falls short of say the Adam Treloar value based on output to date - the problem being that Freo are bullish on his potential but it's impossible to measure that. Carlton (assuming he get's there) pick #6 plus a second round, and possibly a third or fourth round coming back was where I see Cerra's value. (The respective starting points will be Freo wanting two firsts without splitting #6, and Carlton just pick #6 by itself.)

Neale went with pick #30 for picks #6, #19 & #55, so call it roughly a top 10 and the equivalent of a late second round value, but an early second round useable. The problem with measuring his value is that, while he left Freo with significant potential, that's been tapped at the Lions in the last 3 years (2 x B&F and a Brownlow), but he's now pushing towards age 30 and his number of years left is reducing. Plus, he doesn't actually (IMHO) fir a Freo need, which would be to replace Cerra, not get another inside midfielder. I think something like Freo's pick #8 and #27 (their current picks) with pick #18 (or #14) coming back might be around the mark, but Brisbane would no doubt want the best case scenario of the Carlton picks (#6 & #24).

It will be interesting.

I must admit I am now very torn on what we need to do in the draft, which is dependent on what we can do across both trade and draft periods. After this year, I am more adamant that we need the run that someone like Callaghan can bring. But we also need to get at least one KPD in.

TBH, I have cooled on Clark, given the development of Cumming and Ash, plus Fahey coming in (presuming we want him!). I did want Clark previously, but he's struggled to make an impression at Geelong for a couple of years now (difficult to judge clearly given Cats' penchant for trading/playing ageing stars), and I think he might be superflous to needs if we get him now.
Thats a fair enough assessment. I think his lack of game time is more a reflections of the stacked list. Bringing in Isaac Smith for example is clearly going to take up midfield minutes on that wing.

Regardless I think we need pace and outside run in both the wing and forward positions. I know we have some concerns with the KPD but really we are quite sorted in that position. Keefe and Buckley will be out but we don't recruit players to fit a gap for 6 months. I actually have shifted and think we might not target a KPD at all this trade period and will back in our existing guys in that position

Thats a fair enough assessment. I think his lack of game time is more a reflections of the stacked list. Bringing in Isaac Smith for example is clearly going to take up midfield minutes on that wing.

Regardless I think we need pace and outside run in both the wing and forward positions. I know we have some concerns with the KPD but really we are quite sorted in that position. Keefe and Buckley will be out but we don't recruit players to fit a gap for 6 months. I actually have shifted and think we might not target a KPD at all this trade period and will back in our existing guys in that position
Taking those thoughts in reverse order:
  • I agree that you don't draft to cover an LTI hole, but it's more than that. David & Keeffe are on the decline, and won't be on our list in 1-3 years (and the concern is if it's sooner rather than later). Buckley is fine, but Stein is limited; so unless we are keeping Riccardi to turn into a KPD, I believe we need to recruit a young KPD (whether draft or trade) to develop as a longer term replacement for Davis/Keeffe.
  • I don't disagree with wanting pace and outside run, but the other side to that is who is Leon prepared not to select in the team to insert that? I'm just of the view that with Cumming, Ash, Whitfield & the incoming Fahey, plus Callaghan as a winger if we select him, we've probably got that wing/halfback run/carry (except for covering multiple injuries - but who can do that?). I don't mind looking at someone who can play small/medium forward - with speed and zip, can defend and kick goals would be a worthwhile addition to the squad - but I'm not convinced Clark is that man.

Not a certainty but you would say fits a need and the current pick the club has, far from the finished product and also the question about how he went in the interviews about being drafted by the Giants (Interstate club)

4. Finn Callaghan
Best position:
Balanced midfielder
Height, weight: 189cm, 82kg
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons
Projected draft range: 1-5
Plays like: Jared Polec
August ranking: 6
Rationale: Callaghan is an upside pick given he has grown later than many others. His special sauce is his rare movement for someone his height, with his agility, evasion and speed respectively special in traffic. If Callaghan develops his aggression and becomes a strong contested ball winner and tackler, he has the scope to be as good as any in this draft. Callaghan's ceiling which is elevated by his late growth spurt makes him the most appealing after the 'big-3.'

Strengths:
Rare time, space and composure in traffic
Evasion
Agility
Sidestep
Acceleration
Takes on the game at speed with ball in hand
Hits contests at speed and times his moves well to receive on the burst
Work rate
Endurance
Overlap run
Class and composure under pressure to hit his targets by hand or foot
Skill execution by hand and foot
Versatility to play inside or outside midfield
Weaknesses:
Lack of aggression
Contested ball winning
Tackling

Not a certainty but you would say fits a need and the current pick the club has, far from the finished product and also the question about how he went in the interviews about being drafted by the Giants (Interstate club)

4. Finn Callaghan
Best position:
Balanced midfielder
Height, weight: 189cm, 82kg
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons
Projected draft range: 1-5
Plays like: Jared Polec
August ranking: 6
Rationale: Callaghan is an upside pick given he has grown later than many others. His special sauce is his rare movement for someone his height, with his agility, evasion and speed respectively special in traffic. If Callaghan develops his aggression and becomes a strong contested ball winner and tackler, he has the scope to be as good as any in this draft. Callaghan's ceiling which is elevated by his late growth spurt makes him the most appealing after the 'big-3.'

Strengths:
Rare time, space and composure in traffic
Evasion
Agility
Sidestep
Acceleration
Takes on the game at speed with ball in hand
Hits contests at speed and times his moves well to receive on the burst
Work rate
Endurance
Overlap run
Class and composure under pressure to hit his targets by hand or foot
Skill execution by hand and foot
Versatility to play inside or outside midfield
Weaknesses:
Lack of aggression
Contested ball winning
Tackling

Sounds the perfect foil for Tom Green for the next 15 years to me.

Neale is definitely batting above his average, well above his average.

I definitely would be against trading in someone like Clark .... we have drafted hardly getting a game and bring him in sets a bad tone. Go to the draft and get the best available with one eye on kpd/f players if things fall the right way
Also there are rumored attitude issues.

We wont trade for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Academy, Contracts, Trading & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back