Position 2021 Rookies

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeez I hope so. Collingwood are on the slide, time to get games into the young players.

Doubt Buckley realises it yet though.

Buckley is uncontracted beyond this year, and needs wins. Doubt we go too kid-centric. Has played two of the new draftees already though.

With Adams and Sier getting injured, we're gonna need some mature bodies in the guts. Greenwood and C.Brown probably.

Buckley is uncontracted beyond this year, and needs wins. Doubt we go too kid-centric.
I've never understood this logic. Feels like the only chance he has of saving his job is going young and then playing the rebuild card. If he keeps playing old campaigners and Collingwood keep losing (which they will), he's left himself no excuses and he's gone at the end of the year.

I've never understood this logic. Feels like the only chance he has of saving his job is going young and then playing the rebuild card. If he keeps playing old campaigners and Collingwood keep losing (which they will), he's left himself no excuses and he's gone at the end of the year.

Who decides on the make up of Pies starting 22 Bucks or the MC?

Well it depends on what the goals were for the year. Any successful business has a plan, kpi's etc.
You don't change that after round 4 just because you've lost a couple of games.

If Buckley and the board are OK with 1-3 and playing the kids all year, then sign him up for another 5 years to develop them.
Doubt that's the case though.

Macrae, Poulter, McInnes etc haven't come on yet, and Henry has shown he wasn't ready.
It's easy to say "play the kids" when all seems lost, but clubs can turn it around quickly. The Pies could just look at St.Kilda on the weekend.

Just gotta calm the farm, don't hit the panic button, and stick to your guns.

Buckley is uncontracted beyond this year, and needs wins. Doubt we go too kid-centric. Has played two of the new draftees already though.

With Adams and Sier getting injured, we're gonna need some mature bodies in the guts. Greenwood and C.Brown probably.

he doesn't have much choice though - most clubs use an average of 36 players through the year, which equates to a lot of debutants for the Pies

you will need a very good run with injuries to not need your kids.

he doesn't have much choice though - most clubs use an average of 36 players through the year, which equates to a lot of debutants for the Pies

you will need a very good run with injuries to not need your kids.

True, but you shouldn't play them for the sake of playing them.
Ollie Henry was clearly not up to it early on, despite playing well in the pre-season and intra-club.

Kids shouldn't be rewarded with senior games just because of their age.

Collingwood, and Buckley, still want to win games. We're not going to replace Adams and Sier with two first gamers just because "we need to play kids".

True, but you shouldn't play them for the sake of playing them.
Ollie Henry was clearly not up to it early on, despite playing well in the pre-season and intra-club.

Kids shouldn't be rewarded with senior games just because of their age.

Collingwood, and Buckley, still want to win games. We're not going to replace Adams and Sier with two first gamers just because "we need to play kids".
Who else do you have though, you guys lack midfield depth anyways

Who else do you have though, you guys lack midfield depth anyways

It's almost irresponsible to replace experienced inside hard-bodied players like Adams and Sier, with 18 year-old kids who have yet to play a senior game.
That's why you see young mids playing wing/HFF before moving inside (eg Walsh).

Greenwood and T.Brown are likely ins, until Macrae/Poulter/McInnes are ready.

Macrae the closest of the bunch, I think. Could come in to a wing and move Daicos inside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's almost irresponsible to replace experienced inside hard-bodied players like Adams and Sier, with 18 year-old kids who have yet to play a senior game.
That's why you see young mids playing wing/HFF before moving inside (eg Walsh).

Greenwood and T.Brown are likely ins, until Macrae/Poulter/McInnes are ready.

Macrae the closest of the bunch, I think. Could come in to a wing and move Daicos inside.
Greenwood and TBrown :sick:

Yep I agree this is the time you see what the kids can do. Look at sydney with some youth running around at the moment.

Yep I agree this is the time you see what the kids can do. Look at sydney with some youth running around at the moment.
When the older players are delistable and you're heading into a rebuild, ya gotta play the kids and get a year ahead. That's what hurt norf, thought they were good for too long and kept topping up, now they pay the price with a monster rebuild.

You can almost feel The West Coast trembling in fear already

You know Tyler Brown wasn't even in the top ten players in his school side, I watched some games and he was complete garbage, drafted because of name.

You know Tyler Brown wasn't even in the top ten players in his school side, I watched some games and he was complete garbage, drafted because of name.
I actually think he's going ok. He only a dozen games in to his career and shows a fair bit of in-close ability. He needs to learn how to get more of the ball but if he's forced to be a starting mid right now, then god help us

I hear you there. They're the depth. If only we didn't trade away Treloar, Phillips, and Stephenson.
Our backroom bungles coming back to bite us on the arse.

Sydney's kids are extraordinarily good, ours only have potential to be.
Did you see Ollie Henry in round 1 and 2?

When the older players are delistable and you're heading into a rebuild, ya gotta play the kids and get a year ahead. That's what hurt norf, thought they were good for too long and kept topping up, now they pay the price with a monster rebuild.

This "play the kids" crap never helps a team.
Gifting games to kids because they are kids is plain stupid. Best 22 - always. Even if your bottom 5 are trash.

Did you also see Ollie Henry in round 1 and 2?

I hear you there. They're the depth. If only we didn't trade away Treloar, Phillips, and Stephenson.
Our backroom bungles coming back to bite us on the arse.

Sydney's kids are extraordinarily good, ours only have potential to be.
Did you see Ollie Henry in round 1 and 2?

This "play the kids" crap never helps a team.
Gifting games to kids because they are kids is plain stupid. Best 22 - always. Even if your bottom 5 are trash.

Did you also see Ollie Henry in round 1 and 2?
I agree about playing 'our' kids. Who knows if they're ready. Henry was obviously considered the most ready, and he looked totally lost. It absolutely rubbish that the VFL season hasn't started, yet we are 4 games in to the season. None of these kids have played a real game yet.

Fingers crossed you get a job on the Collingwood match committee, if so I look forward to them flittering around 10th for the next 5 years before they hit the wall and have no choice but to go through a North Melbourne-esque club destroying rebuild.

Levi Greenwood lol

Why, because I don't want to play all our kids in round 5? Pffft, please.

Doubt the club is panicking, we're 4 games in. Plenty of time to play the kids. They haven't even played a VFL game FFS.
I agree that Greenwood is crap, but our cupboard is bare. Remember that we traded out some experience in the off-season.

Our kids are not the Guldens/Campbells or Rozee/Butters/Duursma of years past.
Macrae a chance to come in, but team needs a reshuffle so as not to expose him inside.

Or do you think Ollie Henry should be played again? Doubt you watched our first two games.

McCreery looks good so far - but he did play well in the SANFL last year. Will retain his spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back