Training 2022 - 2023 Off-Season and Pre-Season training Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Fox gave us a d+ because in their opinion we did nothing to replace our two best clearance mids we shipped and also over paid for the Weddle pick without addressing a pressing need given we already have Day and Denver
How did we overpay for Weddle? Our coach is bloody ecstatic we managed to pick him up. That says to me we paid a reasonable price. It seems some people can't get over the amount of picks exchanged or the arbitrary points value associated with them. In the end, we got a first round draft pick without giving up a first round draft pick. That's a win!

How did we not address a pressing need? We desperately needed a mid with elite kicking skills, we got that in CMac2. We then picked up a bloke that looks like he can be anything, play anywhere and is good to go from round 1.

As for clearances, we have Duke, Moore, Wingard, Worpel, Ward, Stephens, possibly CMac1. We were never going to replace Tom and JOM like for like in the National Draft and it's a completely ridiculous expectation to have (if that's truly what FoxFooty were expecting).

Weddle isn't Day, nor is he Denver. He is not competing with either.

Nash is a big watch for me this year. He needs to take the next step by filling the void of Tom Mitchell and becoming a real inside pig/clearance winner. The stretch of games he played toward the back end of 2021 were very high level and I hope he can get back to that form with increased reps and responsibility (last year he spent plenty of time on a wing). Massive win if he averages 20+ disposals with a high contested rate and 5+ tackles a game with some clearances. We need to replace the production of Tom and Mitchell and Nashy is primed ready imo... If he plateaus you would have to think his long term place will be under threat as the new young core develop underneath him.

Either scenario sound good

Nash, Worpel and Morrison. They are the senior guys now. I get why people want to see beyond them, but consider in 08 changa crawf Sewell and even Osborne Ladson performed vital parts too.

Especially such as Nash Worpel Day Moore Bruest Wingard wh can hold down other positions but also rotate through the centre and give the youngsters opportunity to play midfield and also last the seasons

Last edited:
Either scenario sound good

Nash, Worpel and Morrison. They are the senior guys now. I get why people want to see beyond them, but consider in 08 changa crawf Sewell and even Osborne Ladson performed vital parts too
Nash has played 50 games, Morrison 78 and Worpel 79. They may be the most experienced mids (aside from Amon) but it is a bit early to refer to them as "the senior guys". Maybe at the end of next season, but not now.

Sic, Lewis and Punky all out there today as full preseason starts.

Lots of little spotfires and wrestling matches in amongst the contesting drills. Some big hits too.

Nash is an average footballer that wouldn't get a game for any other AFL side. He’s a depth player at best, can't see him on anyones list in 2 year's time. He's done sweet FA in the 5 or so years in the system.

Long will likely be delisted at the end of the year. Can't see how he gets a game in the midfield when he's behind about 8 blokes and there's no spot for him anywhere else.

Both Nash and Long are in the bottom 10 for talent at the club. Both will struggle to get games in the senior side next year.

By comparison Worpel is a gun footballer and bnf winner of an AFL team. He's head and shoulders a better footballer and midfielder than both Nash and Long.
Very fortunate you are not at the wheel. In terms of determination long is the closest to Sewell I have seen at the club.

Worpel may be a gun footballer but he needs to prove a lot this year, he currently is not a gun

They would find something to whinge about. Absolutely kissed on the dick with respect to injuries during their premiership years.
There is always a degreeof luck involved, look back to Lions and Hawks threepeats we were lucky too. That isnt taking anything away from the trainers coaches players efforts, but a little luck can go a long way.

There is always a degreeof luck involved, look back to Lions and Hawks threepeats we were lucky too. That isnt taking anything away from the trainers coaches players efforts, but a little luck can go a long way.
We had just about the worst run of injury/illness in 2014. LTIs to multiple critical players and even lost Clarko for a month in the middle of the season. It was only in the GF that we were fortunate enough to have our best 22 available.

If we had the Tigers luck with injury that season we'd probably have gone close to undefeated.

Classic Arctic Park weather today with the rain and drizzle every 10 minutes making things interesting for those watching on.

The good news is that the “managed” group had only 3 players in it for the most part. Mitchell, Morrison and Butler. All running laps at a good pace later in the session after doing sprint and handball drills earlier, so no major concerns from what I could tell.

Sam asked the track watchers who we liked before he himself put Cooper Stephens name forward as someone who is looking very sharp. Interesting.

There were some interesting tussles today in the competitive handball drills that were being played like union with a mini baskatball, with Blanck and Moore getting into each other on the deck, pushing each others faces into the turf before Day came in and decided to fly the flag for Blanck who took the opportunity to get up and take off after the ball.
The emphasis was on continual movement, breaking lines.

These drills were quite combative, with Punky and Newk also tangling, Hardwick and Punky, Sic and Newk, Newk and anyone.
It was good to see the boys cracking into to each other and trying to really get their ascendency on their pink or no-singlet opposition and make them earn it. At one point Punk looked to get up a bit shakey after being creamed by Blanck in a contest for a ground ball.

CJ, Nash and Day all had different moments that were impressive enough to get some praise from Hickmott and Sam. CJ’s dash and dare brought others into the handball game and opened up paths for others to run. Chad also looked quite sharp in these drills along with Amon and Jars, and I have no doubt these three will look for each other out there, as they did today.
Lewis, Sic and Punky stepped straight into the first session like they’d been with the group for weeks. Lewis looks like he’s super fit at the moment, and is not the bulky behemoth he was at this stage last summer.

There was quite a few groups splitting up today, with drills happening at either end and a group in the middle. The draftees were kept away from the more combative stuff for a lot of the time I was there. I focused mostly on what was right in front of me, but at one end there were forwards opposed to defenders working the ball at the top of the square, while at the other end our talk and leading forwards were completing drills that were involving competing on the lead, contesting a ball once he hits the deck and trying to score.

Stoppage drills took place on the wing with Lynch opposed to Meek while Hickmott threw the balls in. Meek was hard to move off the drop of the ball, but Lynch won his fair share and was also involved well when the ball hit the deck.
The mid groups alternated, but Weddle, Frenchy were in there with Sugar, Worp, Newk, Finn, Long, Amon, CMac, Nash, etc.
Frenchy is a smooth mover who is very impressive with his hands. He and Amon linked up quite a few times in their group. Finn, Sugar and Long did a heap of work in close, taking tackles and delivering outside to their teammates. Longs’ ability to land front and centre of the ruck tap and then be an immovable object once the ball was there to be won made hard work for any opposing mids. Newk was also the bull that we expect him to be in these contests.

There was a lot of banter and drive within the group today, and quite a bit of fire when the ball was there to be won. I can see the voice of players who maybe didn’t say much 12 months ago has really grown within the group, and they’re pushing others along.

I couldn’t answer Sam when he asked who was impressing the most, and I think that’s probably a good thing.

Classic Arctic Park weather today with the rain and drizzle every 10 minutes making things interesting for those watching on.

The good news is that the “managed” group had only 3 players in it for the most part. Mitchell, Morrison and Butler. All running laps at a good pace later in the session after doing sprint and handball drills earlier, so no major concerns from what I could tell.

Sam asked the track watchers who we liked before he himself put Cooper Stephens name forward as someone who is looking very sharp. Interesting.

There were some interesting tussles today in the competitive handball drills that were being played like union with a mini baskatball, with Blanck and Moore getting into each other on the deck, pushing each others faces into the turf before Day came in and decided to fly the flag for Blanck who took the opportunity to get up and take off after the ball.
The emphasis was on continual movement, breaking lines.

These drills were quite combative, with Punky and Newk also tangling, Hardwick and Punky, Sic and Newk, Newk and anyone.
It was good to see the boys cracking into to each other and trying to really get their ascendency on their pink or no-singlet opposition and make them earn it. At one point Punk looked to get up a bit shakey after being creamed by Blanck in a contest for a ground ball.

CJ, Nash and Day all had different moments that were impressive enough to get some praise from Hickmott and Sam. CJ’s dash and dare brought others into the handball game and opened up paths for others to run. Chad also looked quite sharp in these drills along with Amon and Jars, and I have no doubt these three will look for each other out there, as they did today.
Lewis, Sic and Punky stepped straight into the first session like they’d been with the group for weeks. Lewis looks like he’s super fit at the moment, and is not the bulky behemoth he was at this stage last summer.

There was quite a few groups splitting up today, with drills happening at either end and a group in the middle. The draftees were kept away from the more combative stuff for a lot of the time I was there. I focused mostly on what was right in front of me, but at one end there were forwards opposed to defenders working the ball at the top of the square, while at the other end our talk and leading forwards were completing drills that were involving competing on the lead, contesting a ball once he hits the deck and trying to score.

Stoppage drills took place on the wing with Lynch opposed to Meek while Hickmott threw the balls in. Meek was hard to move off the drop of the ball, but Lynch won his fair share and was also involved well when the ball hit the deck.
The mid groups alternated, but Weddle, Frenchy were in there with Sugar, Worp, Newk, Finn, Long, Amon, CMac, Nash, etc.
Frenchy is a smooth mover who is very impressive with his hands. He and Amon linked up quite a few times in their group. Finn, Sugar and Long did a heap of work in close, taking tackles and delivering outside to their teammates. Longs’ ability to land front and centre of the ruck tap and then be an immovable object once the ball was there to be won made hard work for any opposing mids. Newk was also the bull that we expect him to be in these contests.

There was a lot of banter and drive within the group today, and quite a bit of fire when the ball was there to be won. I can see the voice of players who maybe didn’t say much 12 months ago has really grown within the group, and they’re pushing others along.

I couldn’t answer Sam when he asked who was impressing the most, and I think that’s probably a good thing.

Wonderful report, SYL.

I'm loving the competitiveness within this group. Building beautifully.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really encouraging report Strapping Young Lad.

I've got a bit of a soft spot for Lynch so it's great to read that he's holding his own against Meek. We have got quite a varied ruck division which I reckon Sam will use to our advantage as the season progresses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2022 - 2023 Off-Season and Pre-Season training Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back