Universal Love 2022-24 Random Chat – brought to you by Harvest Snaps

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve been thinking.

The definition of delusion is a false belief about external reality held despite incontrovertible evidence to the contrary.

The definition of incontrovertible is not able to be denied or disputed. Which leads to the question as to whether anything can be incontrovertible whether external or not? Post-structuralist philosophers have posed the idea that our perception of the physical world amounts to a calculation arrived at through the sum of our experience. And the names for ideas and things we share via language represent a system of shared signifiers understood by a number of people to permit communication.

So if I see something run across the road, and I say it is a dog, it is the label that I give to a certain appearance and characteristics based on my experience that have led me to use the sign “dog” in my thoughts.

But if the person next to me is equally certain that is a cat, can I say that this is a delusion by that person? All signs are open to denial or dispute.

George Orwell once said perhaps a lunatic is simply a minority of one?

This is what I was thinking about just now.

I’ve been thinking.

The definition of delusion is a false belief about external reality held despite incontrovertible evidence to the contrary.

The definition of incontrovertible is not able to be denied or disputed. Which leads to the question as to whether anything can be incontrovertible whether external or not? Post-structuralist philosophers have posed the idea that our perception of the physical world amounts to a calculation arrived at through the sum of our experience. And the names for ideas and things we share via language represent a system of shared signifiers understood by a number of people to permit communication.

So if I see something run across the road, and I say it is a dog, it is the label that I give to a certain appearance and characteristics based on my experience that have led me to use the sign “dog” in my thoughts.

But if the person next to me is equally certain that is a cat, can I say that this is a delusion by that person? All signs are open to denial or dispute.

This made me think of an artist I like who found out he was colorblind when his parents asked him to pass the green guide to him. He said he couldn't see it then wondered aloud why it isn't called the grey guide, because he saw it as the same colour as the rest of the newspaper. What if everyone sees colour differently. Like we both agree to call blue blue and red red but what you call blue i see as red, and vice versa. I don't trust anything anymore.

This made me think of an artist I like who found out he was colorblind when his parents asked him to pass the green guide to him. He said he couldn't see it then wondered aloud why it isn't called the grey guide, because he saw it as the same colour as the rest of the newspaper. What if everyone sees colour differently. Like we both agree to call blue blue and red red but what you call blue i see as red, and vice versa. I don't trust anything anymore.
I like the idea of a colorblind artist.

I’ve been thinking.

Yes.

Don't think too much, it's dangerous.

This is similar to what I was thinking about reality yesterday. Reality is a very singular experience that can and is heavily affected by those around us. Reality is very personal and exclusive to each individual. Like with your dog/cat analogy re delusion, if one sees a dog and the other is equally certain that it was a cat, that's the reality both experienced according to them, when in fact everyone else saw what it actually was a pygmy quokka.

Our own experience of reality can get distorted when the majority experience something different which can cause to question if our reality was actually what really transpired.

I used to think that whatever I saw as my reality/experience was the 100% accurate way events transpired but as I've got older I'm not so sure.

I'm not really smart enough for these discussions but do find them intriguing.

homer simpson GIF

Last edited:
Don't think too much, it's dangerous.

This is similar to what I was thinking about reality yesterday. Reality is a very singular experience that can and is heavily affected by those around us. Reality is very personal and exclusive to each individual. Like with your dog/cat analogy re delusion, if one sees a dog and the other is equally certain that it was a cat, that's the reality both experienced according to them, when in fact everyone else saw what it actually was a pygmy quokka.

Our own experience of reality can get distorted when the majority experience something different which can cause to question if our reality was actually what really transpired.

I used to think that whatever I saw as my reality/experience was the 100% accurate way events transpired but as I've got older I'm not so sure.

I'm not really smart enough for these discussions but do find them intriguing.

homer simpson GIF
I don’t think anyone is smart enough for these discussions. Otherwise some really smart person might have resolved it.

But the nature of “truth” is worth considering, even though considering it does seem to be a red flag that you are no longer young.

I wish people (well me really) were designed some other way. What is the point of firing up my thinking cells at a stage when I don’t have the energy to follow through properly?

What is the point of firing up my thinking cells at a stage when I don’t have the energy to follow through properly?
This is the epitome one of the greatest truisms ‘youth is wasted on the young.’

This is the epitome one of the greatest truisms ‘youth is wasted on the young.’
I used to think this was silly but I’m the opposite now.

We always think of wise people as old people. It would make such a difference if the reflecting part of your life could be brought forward a bit.

In my next life I plan to be God and will straighten out this stuff pronto.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hello Topkent

Asking a favour. You once posted an amazing video of that game between North and Hawthorn where Hodge and Lewis were suspended. I loved the way it was cut together - no goals (other than the Goldstein one to show that his eye was closing up) and just total chaos for the first quarter. Hilarious stuff.

I’m trying to find it but can’t. I wanted to show it to my partner earlier when we were having a conversation about rules and umpiring changing so quickly. Can you point me in the right direction?

Hello Topkent

Asking a favour. You once posted an amazing video of that game between North and Hawthorn where Hodge and Lewis were suspended. I loved the way it was cut together - no goals (other than the Goldstein one to show that his eye was closing up) and just total chaos for the first quarter. Hilarious stuff.

I’m trying to find it but can’t. I wanted to show it to my partner earlier when we were having a conversation about rules and umpiring changing so quickly. Can you point me in the right direction?

I got you fam
Lol that game when Hodge and Lewis just thugged north for no reason was hilarious

I got you fam
It’s amazing hearing the commentary! All about don’t leave your seats, this one has heat!

Also amazing was BT saying after the Hodge thing “was it intentional or was it an accident?” Right after Hodge gets up and takes a swing at someone’s head outside of the play.

Interesting that it sparked off originally from Taylor Duryea too. Until I saw it I had no recollection that he could be that guy.

We’re having a fun game now at my house arguing how many weeks and who if it happened in 2024.

It’s amazing hearing the commentary! All about don’t leave your seats, this one has heat!

Also amazing was BT saying after the Hodge thing “was it intentional or was it an accident?” Right after Hodge gets up and takes a swing at someone’s head outside of the play.

Interesting that it sparked off originally from Taylor Duryea too. Until I saw it I had no recollection that he could be that guy.

We’re having a fun game now at my house arguing how many weeks and who if it happened in 2024.

"AS LEWIS AND FIRRITO GO HEAD TO HEAD. AND NOT JUST IN A PHYSICAL SENSE!"

"AS LEWIS AND FIRRITO GO HEAD TO HEAD. AND NOT JUST IN A PHYSICAL SENSE!"
That was a belter and I’m still trying not to think through what that meant

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love 2022-24 Random Chat – brought to you by Harvest Snaps

Remove this Banner Ad

Back