No Oppo Supporters 2022 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because I believe in a fair hearing for both sides. Haven't heard Fagan's & co's side yet.
I want the full story from all so I can complete the picture. I haven't taken a side for this reason.
Lot's seems to have been left out. It's always so touchy but I don't care for that. Fair has to be fair.

Same. I'm staying out of it won't comment till after everything has come out, and that means both sides not one side and Caro chiming in with her 2 cents as per usual.

It's hard not to speculate and try to figure out what might have gone on given the amount of media attention it's receiving, and the serious nature of the accusations.

In saying that, I'm also conscious that those who stand accused have not had their say, but are facing public scrutiny and the potential loss of their livelihoods. Whether they're eventually found innocent or guilty, this information should not have leaked until they had an opportunity to officially respond to the claims.

However, it's hard not to think that at least some of the claims are true, and while there may be reasons for why some of that action was taken (in the minds of the accused), that in no way excuses what they've done, even if only a portion of those claims are true, it's unacceptable imo.

There's a quote by Alan Watts that has always resonated with me. He was using it in reference to the aboriginal people of Australia and the impact of white settlement in Australia.

He starts off by quoting that "the road to hell is paved with good intentions". And goes on to say: "Kindly let me help you or you will drown said the monkey putting the fish safely up a tree."

It speaks to the arrogance of one person, or group of people, thinking they know what's best for another regardless of whether or not it was well-intentioned.

I think it's a great fit tbh, Essendon are looking to turn over a new leaf and develop a new culture and move away from the whole drugs saga into a period of success, Scott would be looking to show he can lead a team to success. I see a fair bit of synergy in where they want to go into the future, both want success after previous disappointment.

I get the "it shouldn't have been made public" thing but does anyone seriously think the AFL wouldn't have tried to sweep it under the rug without this public pressure? The journo caught wind of the report, asked the young men what happened and asked Clarkson and Fagan for comment.

I thought it was Ridley.
back to the future GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough, I just think the way the ABC approached this was very poor. It appears as though the ABC and the journalist involved were fine for those involved (and their families) to become collateral damage in the pursuit of breaking the story, which in itself is an insensitive and heartless act. Regardless of their actions, those accused, as Damo stated, deserve due process and natural justice to play out.

I would have had more respect for the ABC if they had advised the accused of the contents of their story, and provided more time for them to seek their own answers (i.e. request a copy of the actual report) and respond to those claims within a reasonable timeframe (particularly given the serious nature of the accusations). Sending a request via email, and giving them 24 hrs to respond reeks of selfishness. It appears as though they conducted the interviews and rushed to put the story together in order to give 24 hrs notice in time to break the story ahead of the grand final to gain maximum exposure. They're no better than those they're seeking to expose. Shame on the ABC.

Those about whom allegations were made could have been given a month and would sensibly only have given a general response of denial, sadness for those former players and their families, and nothing more to say as it was under investigation.

The ABC, in turn, was in a bind. To reject hearing the former players or to appear to sit on the story would have left the journalist and the organisation open to an accusation of cover up.

It’s a terrible situation in so many ways. Betts’ suggestion that a clubs-wide inquiry be undertaken is probably one part of a positive way forward.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Those about whom allegations were made could have been given a month and would sensibly only have given a general response of denial, sadness for those former players and their families, and nothing more to say as it was under investigation.

The ABC, in turn, was in a bind. To reject hearing the former players or to appear to sit on the story would have left the journalist and the organisation open to an accusation of cover up.

It’s a terrible situation in so many ways. Betts’ suggestion that a clubs-wide inquiry be undertaken is probably one part of a positive way forward.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm not suggesting they should have given them an eternity, but they should have allowed a more reasonable timeframe given how serious the matter is. I don't think ABC we're in a bind, they were serving their own agenda in getting the story out on grand final week.

I do think the ABC has prevented this from being swept under the carpet, which would have been the likely result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back