No Oppo Supporters 2022 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One is in!
ffcae68aa8bef3822c557447ffbbe8dd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

Frankly, the AFL get what they deserve regarding betting infiltrating the sport like this.
To think you can divorce sports and betting is a bit wishful.

Cricket was invented purely for the gambling aspect!

But I do find it a bit wrong that the AFL comes out with a media statement referencing “our betting agency partners”.

Imagine how Karl Amon feels.

To think you can divorce sports and betting is a bit wishful.

Cricket was invented purely for the gambling aspect!

But I do find it a bit wrong that the AFL comes out with a media statement referencing “our betting agency partners”.
AFL could still not take so much money from gambling agencies. You can't watch anything AFL related without some form of betting advertisement thrown at you. Even if you fast forward ads the have pop ups during coverage or at the ground

It's disgusting

I think betting Agencies shouldn't get assistance from the Authorities when they get screwed over. If they're running a dodgy company that makes its profits off people losing everything they own (including their families in some cases), then they need to suck it up if the criminals use insider info to game the system. And if they can't sustain the company in the face of that, then they should cease operations. It would be a win for everyone if they whole industry collapsed.

It serves them right that they got screwed on Brownlow night, with the way they had the betting entrenched as part of the Brownlow coverage. It was pretty disgusting. And that's coming from someone who has a wager every now and again. If betting on sports was outlawed tomorrow, it would be a good thing for everyone (except the scum that make a living off other people's misery).

The government needs to step in and ban betting advertising like they did with the tobacco industry. I'm sick of seeing gambling adds all over the place, embedded in footy coverage and afl shows etc.

AFL could still not take so much money from gambling agencies. You can't watch anything AFL related without some form of betting advertisement thrown at you. Even if you fast forward ads the have pop ups during coverage or at the ground

It's disgusting
I think if the government introduced a law that said any revenue from sports earned by a particular sporting body's sponsorship, should be donated to anti gambling charities, then it would make it useless for sporting bodies to have those sponsorships, financially and hence ethically. AFL are just pimps for the sporting gambling agencies currently. And taking their slice of the action and exposing young children and adults to it.

Trouble is, if it is not Australian companies doing it, it is offshore online companies which are harder to regulate and tax.

The other thing in the advertising, that is annoying, is the fine print that they always say at the end of each ad is "please gamble responsibly". This is obscene for the fact that the advertising around the gambling is rammed down your throat and is definitely not advertising gambling responsibly.

Last edited:
I think if the government introduced a law that said any revenue from sports earned by a particular sporting body's sponsorship, should be donated to anti gambling charities, then it would make it useless for sporting bodies to have those sponsorships, financially and hence ethically. AFL are just pimps for the sporting agencies currently. And taking their slice of the action and exposing young children and adults to it.

Trouble is, if it is not Australian companies doing it, it is offshore online companies which are harder to regulate and tax.

The other thing in the advertising, that is annoying, is the fine print that they always say at the end of each ad is "please gamble responsibly". This is obscene for the fact that the advertising around the gambling is rammed down your throat and is definitely not advertising gambling responsibly.
Just ban gambling advertisement like they did with tabacco

If possible to tax those companies more, do that as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just ban gambling advertisement like they did with tabacco

If possible to tax those companies more, do that as well
I just can’t quite agree here.

Yes, there are problem gamblers.

But there’s also a wowser element that wants to ban horse racing, greyhound racing, anything that doesn’t suit their particular sensibilities.

As someone who enjoys a punt, I get a bit tired of the moral guardians of society trying to ban things I rather enjoy.

Having said that, I do see benefit in reigning in the advertising.

Personally, I think it’d be more impactful to include a mandatory statement in gambling ads (like they do on tobacco products) pointing out the truth of gambling - the return on odds offered is typically around 92%, meaning that in the long run, you will lose. The “gamble responsibly” statement has absolutely zero impact. A statement telling you that you will lose would be more impactful.

But there’s also a wowser element that wants to ban horse racing, greyhound racing, anything that doesn’t suit their particular sensibilities.

As someone who enjoys a punt, I get a bit tired of the moral guardians of society trying to ban things I rather enjoy.

Personally, I think it’d be more impactful to include a mandatory statement in gambling ads (like they do on tobacco products) pointing out the truth of gambling - the return on odds offered is typically around 92%, meaning that in the long run, you will lose. The “gamble responsibly” statement has absolutely zero impact. A statement telling you that you will lose would be more impactful.
Will no doubt get howled down for this and it's not the right thread, but being anti-horse racing isn't a "particular sensibility". It's being compassionate and using common sense. If you can dress up, have a drink and enjoy a punt on a race in which the participants are willing, why wouldn't you?

I agree 100%. I hate gambling ads. They annoy me and they take away from my enjoyment of the game.
I've always loved a punt on the horses , only bet on footy for Brownlow , norm Smith . I learnt early that it's no good , so now have a few tris first 4 's nothing big . To me these scum should not be allowed to offer money back etc that's bullshit

Not banning gambling, just the ads. We didn't ban tabaco but we don't see ads for it anymore and that didn't harm anyone

Piss the ads off. If you want to have a punt you'll know where to go but don't throw up the odds when 360 are reviewing a game or at 8:30 in the morning on the drive to work on the radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back