No Oppo Supporters 2022 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other thing in the advertising, that is annoying, is the fine print that they always say at the end of each ad is "please gamble responsibly". This is obscene for the fact that the advertising around the gambling is rammed down your throat and is definitely not advertising gambling responsibly.

Federal Labor are introducing new slogans next year to replace the rubbish 'gamble responsibly' slogan.

I just can’t quite agree here.

Yes, there are problem gamblers.

But there’s also a wowser element that wants to ban horse racing, greyhound racing, anything that doesn’t suit their particular sensibilities.

As someone who enjoys a punt, I get a bit tired of the moral guardians of society trying to ban things I rather enjoy.

Having said that, I do see benefit in reigning in the advertising.

Personally, I think it’d be more impactful to include a mandatory statement in gambling ads (like they do on tobacco products) pointing out the truth of gambling - the return on odds offered is typically around 92%, meaning that in the long run, you will lose. The “gamble responsibly” statement has absolutely zero impact. A statement telling you that you will lose would be more impactful.
Greyhound racing is legitimately torture. To be fair, most animal products are torture, but at least food is sustenance. I find it very difficult to understand how people can watch greyhound racing for the fun of it.
Wouldn't be surprised if horses are treated just as poorly.

Makes it worst that the ones benefitting are either the ones abusing the dogs, or the ones making money off gambling.

As much as I hate gambling agencies, I'm in support of the government intervention, as without people would probably go missing.

Mainly agree with Buckley, but I'd put Brownlow last, given that at least two thirds of the teams are ineligible, not playing through the midfield.

You are right. This makes me sad. Once it was possible for players across the field to be eligible. Our fine player Fred Goldsmith managed to win one at fullback.

Swans have the 'most avid' fans (according to YouGov, an internet based market research company).

However we don't make the top 5 in converting 'avid fans' to members.

Same survey rated Franklin as the second most popular player (behind Dusty).

Yep all a bit meaningless, but it can't hurt when we go looking for sponsorship dollars.
I love Buddy, and feel privileged to have watched the last nine year and lucky to be offered 'one more'...

But, JESUS!!! I am sick to death of hearing about him... I wish they'd all just shut up!

If he's playing well... they crap on and on about him being the GOAT!
If he's getting the ball often, but not kicking well... the Swans are too Buddy-centric!
If he's not presenting well and not getting much of the ball... the Swans need to lower their eyes and kick it to Buddy!

They make idiots of themselves week after week, just so they can mention his name... It's like it gives them a free pass for not talking about anyone else!

I've been re-watching the last few seasons (some really good development) and this is giving the shits so much that I just had to share!

Sorry... Rant over.

Random thought about brownlow award voting - since it's harder for forwards/defenders to be statistically amazing even though they've played a great game compared to mids, should they be allowed to gain more than the maximum 3 votes?

I love Buddy, and feel privileged to have watched the last nine year and lucky to be offered 'one more'...

But, JESUS!!! I am sick to death of hearing about him... I wish they'd all just shut up!

If he's playing well... they crap on and on about him being the GOAT!
If he's getting the ball often, but not kicking well... the Swans are too Buddy-centric!
If he's not presenting well and not getting much of the ball... the Swans need to lower their eyes and kick it to Buddy!

They make idiots of themselves week after week, just so they can mention his name... It's like it gives them a free pass for not talking about anyone else!

I've been re-watching the last few seasons (some really good development) and this is giving the shits so much that I just had to share!

Sorry... Rant over.

It's bin day here, I hope he remembers to put em out :p

In all seriousness, agree but that's the territory with superstar players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Random thought about brownlow award voting - since it's harder for forwards/defenders to be statistically amazing even though they've played a great game compared to mids, should they be allowed to gain more than the maximum 3 votes?
Since I started following this game 20+ years ago, I've always thought that if it has to be game officials that do the voting, surely goal umpires would be a better option. They have to watch the game closely without actually getting caught up in it and see the play unfold in front of them and wouldn't be so caught up in the who had the ball the most mindset.
I'm sure you guys that have played or officiated the game would have a better idea than an old girl that's never kicked a ball in anger, but it's what I've always thought.

Since I started following this game 20+ years ago, I've always thought that if it has to be game officials that do the voting, surely goal umpires would be a better option. They have to watch the game closely without actually getting caught up in it and see the play unfold in front of them and wouldn't be so caught up in the who had the ball the most mindset.
I'm sure you guys that have played or officiated the game would have a better idea than an old girl that's never kicked a ball in anger, but it's what I've always thought.
A neutral panel with umpiring/coaching/playing experience watching from 3 different vantage points awarding votes 5 4 3 2 1 then combining scores after the game.
Lock them in the safe until.the end of the year.

Always love your posts , but this needs capitals

I do love it when Jeff Kennett takes the moral high ground.
Yesterday

Today (HS)
Kennett says (Board) challengers talk "....governance when making sadly inaccurate, intemperate comments.”
Andy Gowers is challenging for the Presidency (it's a member voted position) and Kennett points out;
“(Gowers) was football director at the time of the alleged inappropriate actions found to have been taken against some of our Indigenous players,”

Just a few points;
Kennett was President at the start of when the allegations were made and of course the same man who proudly took his golliwogs (incl one named Buddy) on a radio program and has also been criticised by the Riolis.
Taking a partisan Lib position when the club is seeking funding for their proposed Dingley base, which has not been forthcoming, may not be the most sensible option.
Kennett's nominated successor was the Chair of the Nominations committee who couldn't find a suitable candidate to replace Kennett, until lo and behold he looked in the mirror one day.
And probably should mention the huge payout to Clarkson when Kennett decided to move him on.

And yet Jeffy thinks it's inappropriate for Gowers & Merlino to talk about "....governance when making sadly inaccurate, intemperate comments.” :think:

With friends like Jeff......

Last edited:
God Damn it everytime i open BF im greeted by the GF scoreline just to the right as i look for the Sydney board.
Bookmark it to open at the Swans home page....

Easy, open at Swans home page, click little star in the address line, say yes/done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back