No Oppo Supporters 2022 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Can anyone please explain to me what made Greg Williams so great? I grew up hearing about so many of those legends from the 80s/90s, from the Gary Ayres' to the big power forwards, and I never once heard about 'Greg Williams'. Then when I was a teenager and got the AFL app and started reading about records and stuff I found out he had a bunch of disposal records and had won two Brownlows. Then I started hearing a lot of people talking about him as one of the greatest players they'd ever seen, but the only hype about him seems to be related to his accumulating.

I'm assuming there was a lot more to him than that, so fill me in peeps!

WESTERN Bulldogs star Bailey Smith has been handed a two-match ban for headbutting Geelong's Zach Tuohy on Friday night.

Can anyone please explain to me what made Greg Williams so great? I grew up hearing about so many of those legends from the 80s/90s, from the Gary Ayres' to the big power forwards, and I never once heard about 'Greg Williams'. Then when I was a teenager and got the AFL app and started reading about records and stuff I found out he had a bunch of disposal records and had won two Brownlows. Then I started hearing a lot of people talking about him as one of the greatest players they'd ever seen, but the only hype about him seems to be related to his accumulating.

The hallmark of Williams' play was his ability to win ground contests, and almost immediately free the ball to nearby teammates via quick, accurate handpassing. To that end, Williams' other strengths included his vision and awareness of the teammates around him; he is said to have been heavily involved in midfield tactics at ball-ups. His kicking and ball winning skills were also strong.

Williams strengths outweighed several negative physical characteristics which could have hindered his career as a footballer. Most notably, he was a slow runner; he had been knock-kneed as a child and his pace was not helped by five knee surgeries throughout his career. He was also short, stocky and carried extra weight early in his career.

Also at the event, Richard Colless announced they will be approaching Geelong and Carlton to form a collective push to the AFL for Diesel Williams to be elevated into the AFL Legends category.
Ah so you were one of the privileged ones on the bottom level. Guess they felt sorry for us plebs at the back by giving me the prize in the raffle!!!

Ah so you were one of the privileged ones on the bottom level. Guess they felt sorry for us plebs at the back by giving me the prize in the raffle!!!
Haha well, yeah, i was at a pretty good table. But I also bought raffle tickets so congrats!

Absolute slow moving champion , i'd be moving for Bob Pratt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine Albert Einstein could play footy. Diesel could read the play a couple of phases in advance and his decision making in disposing the ball was peerless.

He was also very tough.

The hallmark of Williams' play was his ability to win ground contests, and almost immediately free the ball to nearby teammates via quick, accurate handpassing. To that end, Williams' other strengths included his vision and awareness of the teammates around him; he is said to have been heavily involved in midfield tactics at ball-ups. His kicking and ball winning skills were also strong.

Williams strengths outweighed several negative physical characteristics which could have hindered his career as a footballer. Most notably, he was a slow runner; he had been knock-kneed as a child and his pace was not helped by five knee surgeries throughout his career. He was also short, stocky and carried extra weight early in his career.

Also has mentored the likes of Mitchell, Cripps, Neale.
Article 2 years old
AFL great Greg Williams has encouraged some of the game’s premier midfielders to “get dangerous” by hitting longer handballs to break up congestion.

Williams has mentored the likes of Tom Mitchell, Patrick Cripps and Lachie Neale and has advised them to look for the furthest option with ball in hand.

“I’ve helped Tom (Mitchell) a lot and I’ve worked with (Patrick) Cripps a lot and Lachie Neale as well, and I talk to them about getting dangerous,” the dual Brownlow Medallist told SEN’s Dwayne’s World.

“Looking wider, hitting longer handballs … don’t hit it to the closest bloke, hit it to the furthest bloke. Vision is a big thing.

“They are under pressure and obviously you don’t always get the time to hit it as wide as you can, but I still think there’s a lot of improvement in actually hitting longer handballs, even today.

HEAT MAPS!

I always have difficulty finding them or loading them correctly on the app. Hope this helps and is the right thread, feel free to move it mods.
Great get!! Thanks for posting this.

O Flo's heatmap confirms his defensive back half move.

Last edited:
Absolutely shit house from the media to be joining in the North Melbourne pile-on for picking Will Phillips in the draft. It's one thing for frustrated fans to be doing it, but for public figures in the media whose voices carry a bit more weight, it's ******* shameful. He's a 16-gamer sidelined with glandular fever FFS, how about not making him feel like crap just for being drafted when he was?

Absolutely shit house from the media to be joining in the North Melbourne pile-on for picking Will Phillips in the draft. It's one thing for frustrated fans to be doing it, but for public figures in the media whose voices carry a bit more weight, it's ******* shameful. He's a 16-gamer sidelined with glandular fever FFS, how about not making him feel like crap just for being drafted when he was?
Who has been doing it? I haven't seen anything and I don't listen to radio programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back