Discussion 2022 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

They're on their 4th "Sack Hinkley" thread lmao. Almost on their 5th one.

I truly look forward to the day when they dust off the tarps. Have they used their tarps at Adelaide Oval yet?
Just at Football Park/AAMI I believe.

380006633c35352af62533346544cedd

A thing of beauty.

When I watch Hawthorn play tonight I'll be honest my main concern is our overall coaching system. And what I mean is at this stage the message isn't getting through.

The most important area is defence and we have a new coach there so that's understandable. But we need to start working as a team. Really hoping that starts tomorrow.

Hawks killing Port shows it isn't all about the individual players, it's the team structure and belief that is important as well as ability to execute plays. We have been so hit and miss with that and need to become consistent, especially defensively.
Gunston and Sicily back help.

When I watch Hawthorn play tonight I'll be honest my main concern is our overall coaching system. And what I mean is at this stage the message isn't getting through.

The most important area is defence and we have a new coach there so that's understandable. But we need to start working as a team. Really hoping that starts tomorrow.

Hawks killing Port shows it isn't all about the individual players, it's the team structure and belief that is important as well as ability to execute plays. We have been so hit and miss with that and need to become consistent, especially defensively.
That's what's got me concerned this year. Through the preseason games I was thinking, well it's just preseason. Last year, maybe that's just an outlier - poor fitness, injuries, etc. But in Rd 1 our structure doesn't look good in any part of the ground and we can't get any fluid transition happening, which was the same in the preseason games.

Hopefully they can get whatever it is they're trying to do working, but to me it looks far off resembling good structure and transition, which they would have trained for during the preseason.

Love a port loss.

I am a massive Kane cornes fan but geez he goes quiet after a port loss

How was Bowey's son (who I wanted us to pick up), 34 possessions equal with Clayton Oliver but a better AF score due to his 9 marks.Looks like he'll be another star player for them.

And today we add Nick Hind, Ben McEvoy and Matty Parker tomorrow.
And of course I forgot about Jake Bowey. But he really fits into the "typical Saints bad luck" category

Almost got a team with the trades and delistings.

B .... McCartin ....

HB Hind McEvoy Bowey

C Acres Templeton Newnes

HF ...... Bruce Parker

F ...... McLean ......

Foll Hickey Dunstan Freeman

Feel free to add any others who I might have forgotten.

And of course I forgot about Jake Bowey. But he really fits into the "typical Saints bad luck" category

B .... McCartin ....

HB Hind McEvoy Bowey

C Acres Templeton Newnes

HF ...... Bruce Parker

F ...... McLean ......

Snags cost us Bowey for Allison. It's a shame because I think we used that 2020 upgrade instead of a future second to have capital for Ben King to get traded in. I'm really glad that B King has been put to bed for a while because it should get us back to work instead of spending our days watching the neighbours wife through binoculars.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B .... McCartin ....

HB Hind McEvoy Bowey

C Acres Templeton Newnes

HF ...... Bruce Parker

F ...... McLean ......

Being shit in the 90s meant that guys like Bowey and Dean Anderson...even Ralphsmith didn't get to 100 games and we missed out on the types Geelong and Dogs get as free hits. Then the relatives like Kosi, Bont etc.

Snags cost us Bowey for Allison. It's a shame because I think we used that 2020 upgrade instead of a future second to have capital for Ben King to get traded in. I'm really glad that B King has been put to bed for a while because it should get us back to work instead of spending our days watching the neighbours wife through binoculars.
Yeah 15 games in the 90's cost us Jake Bowey - that's why he's in the "bad luck" category.

I thought about including Noah Anderson but being 30+ games short is stretching it to far.

Now! Imma try something different and go for a bout of negativity.

Looks like weā€™re gonna be versing the ā€œshit bottom 4 teamsā€ early in the season whilst theyā€™re up and about, full of confidence, mysterious new coaches and their youth are tired yet, and their statesman players arenā€™t injured yet.

Iā€™m talking your Collingwoodā€™s (loss) your hawthorns, your Gold Coasts, all of which we play in the next few rounds.

Freo and Richmond are middle-ground.

And then, once the typically good teams wake up and start to realise they need to kick into gear weā€™ll be versing them post-upset, at their best. Jolly good!

P.s. the positive side within me canā€™t post this post without at least mentioning that I know that what I just said is a lot of horse crap, and we just have to be competitive with every team in a tight comp with ebbs and flows - but it would be very us for this to happen with a quote ā€œgreat first five rounds before an increasingly harder fixtureā€ (fake quote but weā€™ve all heard it).

Now! Imma try something different and go for a bout of negativity.

Looks like weā€™re gonna be versing the ā€œshit bottom 4 teamsā€ early in the season whilst theyā€™re up and about, full of confidence, mysterious new coaches and their youth are tired yet, and their statesman players arenā€™t injured yet.

Iā€™m talking your Collingwoodā€™s (loss) your hawthorns, your Gold Coasts, all of which we play in the next few rounds.

Freo and Richmond are middle-ground.

And then, once the typically good teams wake up and start to realise they need to kick into gear weā€™ll be versing them post-upset, at their best. Jolly good!

P.s. the positive side within me canā€™t post this post without at least mentioning that I know that what I just said is a lot of horse crap, and we just have to be competitive with every team in a tight comp with ebbs and flows - but it would be very us for this to happen with a quote ā€œgreat first five rounds before an increasingly harder fixtureā€ (fake quote but weā€™ve all heard it).

It certainly looks like the script has flipped, Carlton, Hawks, GC etc all look like much harder fixtures all of a sudden. We just have to win this today even if it takes someone to go Ben Long on them or the season could slip away.

How was Bowey's son (who I wanted us to pick up), 34 possessions equal with Clayton Oliver but a better AF score due to his 9 marks.Looks like he'll be another star player for them.
Father son is was and always will be a joke. Should have been adjustment mechanisms in the system Imo, it also undervalues how difficult it is to play even 1 game of senior football let alone 100. Maybe 100 and yep you can claim them but if you havenā€™t had a father son in 5 years itā€™s 50 games, 10 years 1 game. Teams shouldnā€˜t be winning flags built on lucking out with father sons imo. Donā€™t even get me started on wafl and sanfl games being used to qualify players, typical afl they donā€™t even pretend to be fair and equal.

Last edited:
It certainly looks like the script has flipped, Carlton, Hawks, GC etc all look like much harder fixtures all of a sudden. We just have to win this today even if it takes someone to go Ben Long on them or the season could slip away.
Loose today and itā€™s take to the lifeboats weā€™re going down.

1648334276959.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion 2022 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back