Autopsy 2022 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon we might be bad on GF day because we follow the accepted wisdom of treating it like any other game, when our opponents come out breathing fire.

Yeah I definitely agree with this.

I always get annoyed how happy the swans look in the Grand Final parade. And in interviews in Grand Final weeks (2014, 2016, 2022), I've heard John Longmire and players say things along the lines of, "oh yeah it's Grand Final week, we gotta have fun and enjoy ourselves."

Have 'fun?' 'Enjoy yourselves?'

There just isn't enough desire, seriousness of urgency there for my liking.

Sure, I don't want you to hate the week and be cold, but for god's sake stop going into the game so casually (that's how it appears from the outer).

That's the only explanation I can think of. John Longmire does everything correctly all year and fails in a big way when it comes to the attitude he instills in the team for Grand Finals.

I seriously hope the club looks at itself and investigates what went so wrong and we make some hard decisions.

Yer definitely great season pitiful ending

absolutely

but the club can either let it consume /defeat them or let it motivate them

I know it doesn't matter what we do- clearly cos i tried all my lucky stuff yesterday , but we can try to have a bit of positivity and faith I suppose (hard as it is)

absolutely

but the club can either let it consume /defeat them or let it motivate them

I know it doesn't matter what we do- clearly cos i tried all my lucky stuff yesterday , but we can try to have a bit of positivity and faith I suppose (hard as it is)

From Warner himself.

"We probably could have done a lot more, that's the annoying part," Warner said.

"But we've got to wait a whole another year and have another crack."

Warner left it all out there sadly majority of his teammates did not.

First ever post by a long-time Swans fan.

I don't see any need to feel angry/depressed or look for scapegoats. Or call for the coach to be sacked. Sure yesterday was a clusterf*ck, but think of all the positives. It was a great season! 18 wins & 7 losses, 2nd out of 18 teams. 2019 & 2020 we were bottom 4, now we are second! Beat the 2021 & 2022 premiers 3 out of 4. Beat Collingwood twice. Beat Freo in Perth. Played an attractive, high-scoring style of footy. And we have a truckload of elite talent 23 or under which is only going to get better. The next few years are going to be a lot of fun. Flags aren't guaranteed, they are hard to win, but I think we'll be playing finals and in contention for quite a while.

We don't really know what went wrong yesterday, excepting that selecting Reid was a bad decision. How that decision was made is just guesswork, although ultimately the selection committee have to accept responsibility, as they have. But was that decision the sole cause of the disaster? Probably not-from the opening moments it looked most of the team was completely overawed, and I doubt the selection of Reid was the only reason for that.

We do know that contested possession has been a consistent problem for a while. The clearance numbers were about even yesterday, but we got smashed in scores from stoppage, so defensive structure at stoppage looks like it needs a lot of work. I would have thought that a midfield of Parker/Mills/Rowbottom/Warner, with guest appearances by fast guys like Papley, would be more than adequate, but maybe that needs to be reassessed. Hickey has been fantastic for the club, but ruck could be at least part of the problem too.

Key forward is a bit of a worry. I don't like the Franklin extension, he's close to cooked. We really need at least two of Amartey/McLean/McDonald to go to the next level, and I'm not yet convinced that any of them will get there, although they are all still very young, especially McDonald. We need a Rampe replacement too. But having said all that, pretty much every other club would take our list over theirs I think. It's a great time to be a Swans supporter!

From Warner himself.

"We probably could have done a lot more, that's the annoying part," Warner said.

"But we've got to wait a whole another year and have another crack."

Warner left it all out there sadly majority of his teammates did not.

warner enhanced his reputation

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think yesterday i noticed more than once , bad balls ups nearly out of the circle and they seemed to win them and some poor throw in falling short and Hickey seemed to get caught out a few times
One thing good about losing by that much is I don’t get to complain about umpires. If we’d lost by 2 goals there’d have been riots.

I had a chat to Heath Grundy yesterday, he played in 3 winning 1 against Hawthorn where we were outsiders, 1 when we were favourites and the great robbery of 2016.

He said the effort is there, they're trying their guts out by some days things don't click you get behind and it feels impossible to recover, the harder you try the worse it gets.

The ball bounces early for the other team, early goals from quick snaps etc... you get behind and then have the balancing act of needing to score and also defend. Geelong have the luxury of continuing to attack and are settled tactically.

We needed an enormous 3rd quarter and tried to keep the ball moving at all costs and Geelong knew this and just picked us off and rebounded knowing it was pointless for us to have players behind the ball at that point.

You throw age, inexperience and the occasion into the mix.

The game was lost in the first quarter, we were better in the second but didn't close the gap. And then they jumped us in the first 5 minutes of the 3rd.

A better final 10 mins of the first quarter, and a better first 10 mins of the 3rd and it would have been much closer. Consecutive goals in the 2nd would have also helped, Franklins early behind hurt.

Geelong's goal bursts at the end of the first and start of the 3rd just hurt us too much.
Excellent summation. We needed everything to go our way in that 3rd quarter. I thought we tried to stem the bleeding in the second where we were on a couple of goals outscored.

All about the starts, need to be on from time zero otherwise it becomes a huge mountain to climb.

Not taking a thing away from Geelong but even their kick and hope or bounces just seemed to turn to gold, we looked like the team bus went under a ladder and ran over a black cat on the way there

I think yesterday i noticed more than once , bad balls ups nearly out of the circle and they seemed to win them and some poor throw in falling short and Hickey seemed to get caught out a few times
Yep. I mean Hawkins kicking 2 in the first from rucking says it all. He isn't a ruck but still managed to kick them. Peter Ladhams is the type that can throw his body in there. Annoyed he got suspended. He would have been useful.

warner enhanced his reputation
Was just musing on Warner.

Just want to start off by saying that I love how he goes about it and the following is a bit of a thought bubble, not really a criticism, that could be clouded by disappointment and a rough nights sleep but I thought I’d put the thought bubble out there…

He is a brilliant individual player, that I don’t doubt, but does he make his teammates better and bring them into the game? We remember him for brilliant fend offs, stepping back out of the contest and those first few steps it’s almost like he Jedi mind tricks everyone into parting the seas for him and some brilliant goals.

I only say it because his game was a bit of an outlier statistically superior to his team mates but his actions don’t appear to have taken his team mates with him.

Not saying he won’t in the future… as I said just musings, generating some discussion.

Was just musing on Warner.

Just want to start off by saying that I love how he goes about it and the following is a bit of a thought bubble, not really a criticism, that could be clouded by disappointment and a rough nights sleep but I thought I’d put the thought bubble out there…

He is a brilliant individual player, that I don’t doubt, but does he make his teammates better and bring them into the game? We remember him for brilliant fend offs, stepping back out of the contest and those first few steps it’s almost like he Jedi mind tricks everyone into parting the seas for him and some brilliant goals.

I only say it because his game was a bit of an outlier statistically superior to his team mates but his actions don’t appear to have taken his team mates with him.

Not saying he won’t in the future… as I said just musings, generating some discussion.

had not considered it to be honest , interesting to think about.

My first thought was can we expect it of him ? he's played 30 odd games, he should be icing on the cake/bit player

he is our top player for score involvements per game by a country mile (top 10 in the league ) so maybe he does ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back