Autopsy 2022 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, as I watched the first centre bounce, then the first two minutes, then the first ten minutes I thought ‘Christ, we’re nowhere near it here, Geelong are absolutely all over us’. Shortly after I turned to my mate and said that even though we were terrible we were only about seven points down and could quickly turn things around - then the Cats banged on two or three quick goals and the game was gone.

From then on it quickly moved into humiliation territory :mad:

thats literally my experience. We were hanging on by desperate smothers and tackles and hadn’t got near the ball.

We were literally two metres behind everywhere.
Hickey pissed me off getting out rucked
by Hawkins

There’s no shame in that - a lot of rucks do. The problem was he was starting on the offensive side of Hawkins presumably on the basis that some help was coming from the defensive side. But if Hawkins catches and you are offensive side he pivots and kicks at goal. At least staring defensive side he has to kick it through you.

It was just a terrible start but as Cornes noted tuohy left heeney for dead to create Hawkins first mark and shot we were metres behind all day

had not considered it to be honest , interesting to think about.

My first thought was can we expect it of him ? he's played 30 odd games, he should be icing on the cake/bit player

he is our top player for score involvements per game by a country mile (top 10 in the league ) so maybe he does ?
Oh no not necessarily expect it of him but just an area he can perhaps improve.

When he makes that break he does on occasion ignore his team mates to try and get through himself (admire his confidence!), I guess what I am suggesting is the higher % play at times might be for him to get the ball outside to runners who are in space after doing the amazing work of winning the footy.

How does Gary Rohan end up with a p'ship medallion after being rated only better than Sam Reid?

I knew it was over when that ball ricocheted out of a pack and some how landed in isaac smith's hands running straight into goal

Was just musing on Warner.

Just want to start off by saying that I love how he goes about it and the following is a bit of a thought bubble, not really a criticism, that could be clouded by disappointment and a rough nights sleep but I thought I’d put the thought bubble out there…

He is a brilliant individual player, that I don’t doubt, but does he make his teammates better and bring them into the game? We remember him for brilliant fend offs, stepping back out of the contest and those first few steps it’s almost like he Jedi mind tricks everyone into parting the seas for him and some brilliant goals.

I only say it because his game was a bit of an outlier statistically superior to his team mates but his actions don’t appear to have taken his team mates with him.

Not saying he won’t in the future… as I said just musings, generating some discussion.

Mills goal was a direct result of Warner involving the whole team and the. Kicking an outside of the foot pass. He was bringing. We just lacked helpers

Oh no not necessarily expect it of him but just an area he can perhaps improve.

When he makes that break he does on occasion ignore his team mates to try and get through himself (admire his confidence!), I guess what I am suggesting is the higher % play at times might be for him to get the ball outside to runners who are in space after doing the amazing work of winning the footy.

yeah absolutely. I do like that he and papley back themselves and are two who take a shot at times where others won't, can sometimes be the non team thing, but do need some guys with flair.

one thing is where he is now if he keeps improving, sky is the limit

How does Gary Rohan end up with a p'ship medallion after being rated only better than Sam Reid?

because he played with 21 other guys who didn't shit the bed

Just want to start off by saying that I love how he goes about it and the following is a bit of a thought bubble, not really a criticism, that could be clouded by disappointment and a rough nights sleep but I thought I’d put the thought bubble out there…

He is a brilliant individual player, that I don’t doubt, but does he make his teammates better and bring them into the game? We remember him for brilliant fend offs, stepping back out of the contest and those first few steps it’s almost like he Jedi mind tricks everyone into parting the seas for him and some brilliant goals.

I only say it because his game was a bit of an outlier statistically superior to his team mates but his actions don’t appear to have taken his team mates with him.

Not saying he won’t in the future… as I said just musings, generating some discussion.
I don't think he makes team mates better but neither did dusty. Who put together the most influential 4 years by a mid ivee ever seen.

Warner's strengths are individual based by that I mean his strength, power and speed to break away.

He is destined for big things. There is no player in the league I would trade him for.
Once the geelong love fest quiets down he will get his plaudits.

Absolute superstar

I knew it was over when that ball ricocheted out of a pack and some how landed in isaac smith's hands running straight into goal

As noted elsewhere in what felt like our only foray forward in the first quarter rowbottom getting done for htb when kicking it as tackled was the moment for me.

As it transpired his kick went straight to a Geelong player so it mattered not as much but it was team destroying given how little ball we had

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, you have read my mind. I had been thinking this since the QF when all of those Warnerisms were nowhere to be seen yet we played fantastic, exciting footy all the same.

I agree that I absolutely love what he offers, but I think he can best put it to use in games that are open and not too contested. He struggles more when the game is tighter.

The problem though is that if games aren't that contested and high-pressure, then it means the other team is potentially doing the exact same thing. As we saw with Geelong yesterday. For every great break out the back of a pack Warner was making, Dangerfield was doing the same. And when he had a blinder against North, Davies-Uniacke was doing the exact same thing the other way. The Essendon game at the G another example as their clearances just killed us.

The team seems to function better when we crank up the heat and the contested side of our game to stop the opposition, and then create opportunities from there. But doing that often seems to render the role of a purely attacking mid a bit null and void.

Might just be a work in progress type of thing with all the mids. Easy to forget they have played not even two full seasons together really.

It's a fair question but I think he does. His best action yesterday was giving and going a few times before a really neat little kick that set up mills goal. He is pretty good at bringing others into the game.

Yep every loose ball found a geelong player.

I'm a believer you create your own luck in this game. They outworked us. Only fair it went their way

absolutely and they took the game on and dared to take chances

we just almost didn't do anything

we went wide so much

Then i thought we went to reckless and aggressive trying to overcorrect in the 3rd.

3rd i just remember mccartin looking like he had never played footy before

then i was contemplating running into traffic

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back