Autopsy 2022 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

hes too slow to be there more than a resting forward. His ability to win the ball remains his strength. .

You cant have a small that is as slow as him forward unless you are only going to play one tall.

Rather him forward than turning the ball over in the midfield straight to the opposition.

Cats sort of know what they are doing lately.
He debuted in 2007, was also used off half forward I believe, but did get mid time. Alongside GAJ Jnr, Bartel, Enright, Corey, Ling, Kelly. We're not putting a kid in the midfield mix regularly, alongside any sort of comparable midfield.

I'd caution people against reading too much into the required structural changes from one game - our midfield served us pretty well throughout the season. The reality is that 20 blokes turned up on Saturday totally unprepared for the occasion and for me the blame for that rests mostly with the coaching staff. We don't know exactly what happens in-house but I think Longmire and co need to totally reassess how they prepare for these big games - maybe stop treating it like just another normal game and acknowledge that there's nothing normal about it. There's also a certain arrogance about the selection process that really rubbed me the wrong way.

He debuted in 2007, was also used off half forward I believe, but did get mid time. Alongside GAJ Jnr, Bartel, Enright, Corey, Ling, Kelly. We're not putting a kid in the midfield mix regularly, alongside any sort of comparable midfield.

They at least played him in there that's a start.

Last year we traded away Dawson and Hewett - two footballers who would have made us a stronger team. Yet without them we beat 16 other teams to win the right to play the last game. What's more, it was not trades which improved us...it was the football growth of our young footballers. Keep the faith in them. On Saturday our team was over awed, overwhelmed and ultimately they panicked and they broke. You could see it happening last week against the pies in the final quarter. That both scared and scarred us. Likewise our coaches. The selection of Reid tells all. Shows a belief that they could not replace him with anyone of his skill set.Yet they selected a dubious ruck forward in case Reid fell over the cliff. The team could not carry two duds. Panic selections by the selectors - their choices did not reflect confidence in the extended list to get the job done, nor in the team to be able to cover Reid's absence. By the end of the match against Collingwood, our race was over.....but the fans did not see it....and neither did Fox, Clarke nor Warner. But the rest of the team and the coaches - they were ruled by their own fears. The game was over before it had started. Heeney was interviewed before the match and he said that the GF Melbourne experience was overwhelming. How right he was.

Saturday will send this squad one of two ways.

We may head to the scrapheap with the likes of Radelaide, Port Flopalot and the Plastics in terms of it taking a long time to get over the mental impacts of getting flogged on Grand Final day.

Or it will light the fires to drive them to ultimate success - lessons will be learnt and not repeated, and it will drive the pursuit of true excellence.

There are gaps to fill yet on the list for sure, but we have a young core good enough to build a team that can win multiple flags. It is up to them whether this roadblock is simply that, or whether it is actually a cliff that breaks them as a group.

What I'd like to hear from the team (doesn't have to be now but leading into 2023) is a clear view that what happened on Saturday must not ever happen again, and the only way that the Club will achieve 'redemption' from it will be to lift the Cup in the near future. I know a lot of people prefer to stay under the radar a bit, set expectations low and go from there - but it is time for this group (however young key elements may be) to stand up and put a target on their backs. Make it clear that until it is a Swans Captain lifting that Cup, redemption for 2022 will not be complete, and that the team owe it to themselves (let alone the fan base) to achieve that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just because we had a good home and away season doesn't mean we can do the same thing and it will translate into September

Home and away and finals are two different beasts.

Cats rolled out the same game for the best part of a decade before they realised they had to change their whole game plan this year

Didn't stop the Cats playing Selwood as a mid straight away basically. Sometimes it's best to keep players in their natural habitat.

Selwood was one of the best mids in his draft and only fell to 7 because of concerns about his knee.

Most of the time it’s best to bring in kids and let them adapt to AFL before throwing them into the coalface.

Saturday will send this squad one of two ways.

We may head to the scrapheap with the likes of Radelaide, Port Flopalot and the Plastics in terms of it taking a long time to get over the mental impacts of getting flogged on Grand Final day.

Or it will light the fires to drive them to ultimate success - lessons will be learnt and not repeated, and it will drive the pursuit of true excellence.

There are gaps to fill yet on the list for sure, but we have a young core good enough to build a team that can win multiple flags. It is up to them whether this roadblock is simply that, or whether it is actually a cliff that breaks them as a group.

What I'd like to hear from the team (doesn't have to be now but leading into 2023) is a clear view that what happened on Saturday must not ever happen again, and the only way that the Club will achieve 'redemption' from it will be to lift the Cup in the near future. I know a lot of people prefer to stay under the radar a bit, set expectations low and go from there - but it is time for this group (however young key elements may be) to stand up and put a target on their backs. Make it clear that until it is a Swans Captain lifting that Cup, redemption for 2022 will not be complete, and that the team owe it to themselves (let alone the fan base) to achieve that.
Crows went straight into their infamous pre-season camp. Port had barely any footy department in their tarp years, it was a good effort to make a GF in 07, and then eventually dig themselves out of the hole (although they've gone as far as Hinkley can take them). GWS don't seem to have any club culture, players either stay on for big money, or they want out.

We're unlikely to be in the same boat, as evidenced by 2015 where we made top 4 (and did OK against Freo, before injuries wrought havoc and we went out in straight sets). We made a GF in 2016, and although we were below our best, it would have been interesting to see the result if the umpiring had been better.

Agree on the outlook - I thought we were a year too early, maybe a couple (given we're not long with Rampe, Buddy, Reid, Hickey). If we don't back up again next year and grab a flag, I can see us taking another year or two to challenge again, unless our 2022 draftees are talls and play/play well early, or Gould/Amartey/McLean really kick on. But it's not time to panic and make drastic changes to the list.

Last edited:
Selwood was one of the best mids in his draft and only fell to 7 because of concerns about his knee.

Most of the time it’s best to bring in kids and let them adapt to AFL before throwing them into the coalface.

Well we picked Mills at 3 as a mid and bare in mind Melbourne rated him the best mid- they took Oliver after the match. Unlike Geelong we put him in the backline. It’s the only thing I hate and that’s this so called versatility. Give me a bloke who is elite in one position thanks. They will only be elite if they are played there a lot.

I'm picturing pre-season training and McAndrew going to Cox for advice, getting told "just do what I did".
Maybe this is where we went wrong. Coaches told them to be like the bloods of the past 20 years but forgot to tell them that 2014 was not the model to base their performance on 😆

They're not wrong.

I'd love to see a statement from the club this week. Not that it changes much I just want to see them acknowledge how badly they failed and let themselves and the supporters down
Me too. I don't want to see that crap buried under the carpet like I feel happened in 2014 and pretending it didn't happen.

Well we picked Mills at 3 as a mid and bare in mind Melbourne rated him the best mid- they took Oliver after the match. Unlike Geelong we put him in the backline. It’s the only thing I hate and that’s this so called versatility. Give me a bloke who is elite in one position thanks. They will only be elite if they are played there a lot.
He was a pick 3, he was ready for AFL football and he was not getting midfield time from Kennedy, Parker, Hannebery, Mitchell, McVeigh and the like.

He won the rising star ffs.

Mills has nothing to do with our discussion and was ready to contribute in the AFL immediately which I don’t think can be said about Sheldrick to the same level.

Right, well, since Parker is going to be a better mid than Sheldrick for another year or two, I guess he just plays reserves until then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back