Autopsy 2022 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Well that just happened...

First thing's first, congratulations to Geelong. Absolutely clinical, ruthless, professional today and this was just a culmination of being an extremely well run organisation over the past 2 decades. They had many doubters including myself believing that their squad of old-timers were gonna slip this year, and everyone will now have to eat crow. Didn't give us a sniff and they totally deserve it after finishing top of the ladder with 16 wins on the trot.

As for us, from the opening minutes of the game we looked outmatched and panicked. I can go into countless things that went wrong, the Reid selection, bad individual performances, etc. But I won't go into it as there's not much of a point posting a laundry list of blunders.

It doesn't feel like it right now, but I didn't pick the team to get to a grand final at the start of the year. We had some good moments, Bud's 1000th, Warner's development, Paddy McCartin's successful return to football, strong performances before today. Keep in mind, this time last year Geelong's season ended with a 80+ point demolition at the hands of Melbourne and look where they are now. Hope our club can take inspiration from that and move forward in 2023.

I don't know what else to say. It's the shittest position to be in as a football fan, I just feel sad and devastated. It's gonna be a long off-season but we'll all get through it together.

If any of you are feeling particularly shit about this, it's okay to go do something else for a bit. I think I might go for a gym session and learn some coding after this.

Take care of yourselves everyone. :heart:

I can’t help but feel a bit angry.

The Reid selection was clearly a blunder - a professional club full of medicos should know better.

Who knows what impact Logan’s axing had on the team spirit - especially when they knew Reid was hobbled.

We got beaten by the (vastly) better side, but it feels like there was a very big self inflicted wound at the selection table.

Last edited:

Honestly OK with our effort. Failure was in execution. Absolutely dominated by bigger, stronger, more experienced bodies. Geelong were on and we were overawed.

Important thing is we didn't lay down in the last quarter, so I'm optimistic that this will be a learning experience rather than a backbreaking experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to do a 100% review of how we prepare for grand finals. Its not good enough, 14, 16 and now 22 are not how we play. That wasn't the side i watched all year. Whatever happens in grand final week needs a complete overhaul so we can play our A game which is very very good.

Now to to cry for a little bit, eat pizza, hopefully sleep, long run in the morning and then back to it.

Fell apart on the big day, but it was a great year overall.

Need to ensure our younger players don't go into their shell, it will be hard next year's as teams account for our game style, but there is a good future ahead for this group.

Geelong were brilliant today and fully deserved the win

Proud of the team to make it here. After that Essendon loss, we all wouldve taken a GF showing.

Wanted to say that this was nonsense. I thought we more than demonstrated in that match we could win against any body. We just missed important shots.

Today I just feel absolutely flat.

Wmbarassed

Angry

Beyond disappointed. It was a performance of a team that was unsound structurally and was bullied from go to whoa

Forward line dysfunctional midfield absolutely pantsed to a degree that some of them probably shouldn’t play there again. Despite the fact that rowbottom and Warner were amongst our better players along with fox.

From the moment Hawkins kicked it out of the ruck and we were relying on smothers and desperate efforts to the end of the game they made us look like a vafa team that had appeared at the mcg in mistake.

I want to say so many things critical but I don’t like blaming players in completely pathetic displays.

Congratulations Geelong. They were absolutely primed for the game with Swiss precision in preparation.

It is hard to get angry with the players. They were just off. They didn’t want to be. We didn’t want them to be. It wasn’t lack of effort, something was just off.

Coaches need to change things up next time. 2014, 2016 (we lost because of umpires, but if we played to our potential we still would have won) and now 2022. That’s a trend line you cannot ignore.

No point making it to the big dance if you can’t dance, someone needs to pass that message on to the players, you all can be happy about making it but I would rather not make it, then keep getting ****ing smashed on grand final day, there’s no pride in that, nothing to be proud of, show some ****ing heart on the biggest day of the year, there is no point making it if we are on the wrong end of record losses, how can you be proud? Proud of what? Being pathetic on national television when all eyes are on us, simple message, don’t make it if you can’t turn up. Regular season was all good and well an so were our first two finals, but making it to the big dance is once in a lifetime stuff for some clubs, we regular make it, and get absolutely annihilated, i for one ****ing hate Collingwood, but they would’ve shown something tonight, they wouldnt lay down like ****ing road bumps and get absolutely run over like our mob did, there is no positive to come out of this. I’d love for us to make it again next year and all the years after, but after today, I don’t trust this team one bit, I’ve never felt this way about my swans before, but I genuinely am embarrassed today, I walked around Melbourne CBD chin up waving my scarf like it’s swans town, and how did the bloods repay us? By getting bent over with no lube in front of tens of thousands who formed out a lot of money to come and watch em, disgraceful is you ask me, and yes I’m emotional but **** it this team sat me in the sun in 2014 at the gf against hawthorn an I copped so much that day but I backed my swans and stayed till the end, as I watched this game till the end, but I think we are mentally ****ed at the moment and don’t know how to fix it. Rant over

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back