Autopsy 2022 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

For whatever reason we didn't turn up. However one bad game (unfortunately the GF) does not mean our guys can't play, Horse can't coach or we are a bad club.

Reflecting on the season, we made alot of progress. We've got a good up and coming list and as long as we can brush today off over the off season, I'm still optimistic about the future.

But yes, it was a very disappointing day.

Alright, I'm going to make one final post venting about players and coaches, and then I'm moving on to the trading and drafting thread.

Heeney was a disgrace today. I don't get into bashing players not performing to their contracts, but seriously, you could pick out 3 players today that are on the same amount of money he's on combined that put in a better performance than him today.

Coaches picking Reid - just a simply shocking, unforgivable call. It would not have made any difference but that shouldn't distract from what a shocking call it was.

Why did Parker play on Danger? Mills is a far superior match-up. Far, far superior.

Buddy's performance didn't give me much faith in his ability to play out next year. Will he be best 22 come finals 2023? Set and forget McDonald next year. Honestly, just make him the number one forward please.

The stats suggest I've been excessively harsh on Parker, but he was shithouse for mine.

Fox was outstanding on Cameron. Put in more than double the performance of players on likely 3x as much money as him. Warner gave his all all day.

Mills had 13 touches - what happened there?

Hickey dogshit, to be honest. Ladhams is number one ruck for mine next year.

Scars will be real, imo, most teams try to ignore them and that's why they get worse. Accept that we won't be anywhere near next year, treat it like we're a bottom 4 team (which we played like tbh, even at our worse we didn't lose by 80 odd points).

Delist Reid, could still be good next year, but by 2024 I would want McLean and Amartey in the side, so might as well play the youth now.

Retire Franklin, he can play wing or VFL forward. Honestly don't really want him in the side atm, should've retired this year anyway, next year will just be a slow decline into irrelevance which is unfair for one of the greatest that will ever play the game.

Phase Rampe and Lloyd out. Amazing players, but won't be around in 2 years (assuming Lloyd is leaving). Instead let's get some games into Rankin who looks like a genuine player and Gould who is taking massive steps.

Get Parker out of the Midfield, is just a better forward honestly, and even though he tried his heart out, Gulden and Warner showed what we needed in that last quarter, and Parker will never be that. Would've of been amazing to have up forward though.

Don't know what to do with Heeney, and the only reason why I single him out is that he had a bad 3 finals. Just needed to step up and never really did.

Treat 2023 like a dead rubber year, we will be hurting for a while and I don't want to waste energy being a finals team when we most likely will miss everything, might as well play like a bottom 4 team.

Geelong smacked us.

No hard edge and got an absolute bath.

Fox, Warner, Clarke only ones to show up. Rest didn't.

Got outworked and out coached. Nees a long hard look at intent of list and coaching.

Three GFs lost with Horse at the helm and usually get slaughtered when in finals. Time to have a long hard look at coaches box

Got bullied, outplayed and outworked. Were not ready. Whether that's a reflection of the experience of the two teams I'm not sure but massively disappointing and I'm sure the players will feel 10x worse. So few good players but Fox and Warner can hold their heads high.
Reid obviously a bad selection but not the difference.
Umpires screwed us but we were so outplayed it made no difference to the result

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood and Brisbane already have players coming in to their clubs looking to improve.

We better be active this trade period and add some missing puzzle pieces or we can’t go forward.

Tougher draw to come and will be hard to get over this mentally.

Guess you just have to lick your wounds as a supporter and turn up again when your team needs you.

We can’t accept this culture of GF chokers as that is a tag that’s starting to feel real.

Kudos to those who find any optimism after today. Absolutely flat. Nothing seemed to go right. Hard to take when you hear the cheers from a buddy touch in the last quarter. Even Jeremy Cameron feeling bullish enough to attempt a torp for goal, was annoying to watch. Always hard to see where to from here straight after a horrible loss…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to not let the way this went sour the season too much because we got a lot out of it

Warner, Rowbottom, Gulden and Stephens all took big steps this year

Heeney and Mills made AA.

Lots of good and quality around. A few bits and pieces and a change in mindset and we'll be back again
History indicates teams who get belted in a GF struggle thereafter.

I hope you’re right - but this one will cause serious self-doubt.

Collingwood and Brisbane already have players coming in to their clubs looking to improve.

We better be active this trade period and add some missing puzzle pieces or we can’t go forward.

Tougher draw to come and will be hard to get over this mentally.

Guess you just have to lick your wounds as a supporter and turn up again when your team needs you.

We can’t accept this culture of GF chokers as that is a tag that’s starting to feel real.
At least this time we weren’t false favourites.

This time we were underdogs and we played like we were surprised to be there.

Geelong congratulations far too good and gave us a hiding.

Swans Fox was b.o.g for us looked composed and had intent. Warner had some moments. Apart from that we were outclassed.
Midfield got caned and we were thrashed around the centre square which has been an issue for several seasons now.
Reid was a mistake , Ladhams should be kicking himself black and blue after getting suspended.
See what happens in trade week and who we draft. Think some of the fringe players in the VFL squad can challenge for spots next year right from game one.
Lots of positives for the year but that was a crappy way to end the season. Unfortunately when we have been bad this year we have really stunk. Thought we had got that out of our system after the Don's game.

To lose like that again is systemic.

The same guys that go missing when the going gets real tough and they did it again (and for a few of the finals to be honest).

We overperformed, overdelivered and got shown up when it mattered.

Horse made some good changes this year.

He has a few more to make.

I can handle getting beat. I can handle getting a touch up every so often but not at the end of the road like this so often.

So many scrubs are getting premiership medals, so many. Breaks your heart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back