Autopsy 2022 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Take a leaf from geelong's book...work hard and keep giving yourself a chance in the top 8 (ideally top 4)...and things will eventually turn your way (whether that be from luck with injury, right form at the right time, etc). That's all we can do. Geelong have not had the most talented list over the past few yrs but being the perennial finals side they are has finally paid dividends for them today. Our time will come again.

We desperately need to get a strong inside mid who can dominate clearances over the offseason.
I reckon Sheldrick could be it.

And perhaps Roberts.

But today showed that players in their early 20’s can’t compete for strength with 10-year veterans.

There's another granny I (a) left at 3/4 time and (b) will never watch again.

Beaten up on ball badly. We need an extractor.

Bring on Angus Sheldrick!

The two early Hawkins goals where Hickey was outmaneuvered were demoralising and although I'm Hickey's biggest fan it's not great for the team when your big guy gets outmuscled. Turned out to be the way the game got played.
Ulitmately you need to be the team that makes it happen and we were stagnant and not quite ready.
They did keep trying and nothing much went their way so cop it on the chin and reset for next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely dominated by bigger, stronger, more experienced bodies. Geelong were on and we were overawed.
100% agree with this.

Geelong just seemed bigger and won contest after contest and broke tackles.

We were too early, I doubt anyone thought we'd make a.GF this year.

However whilst that's a get out of jail free for the kids, some of our senior players didn't win a contest, Buddy, Heeney in particular were poor.

The selection of Reid was dumb, they must have known he wasn't fit, hence why McLean came in, taking him in unfit was dumb selection.

Now we start 0-0 next year and have to hope they can put in the effort again after being smashed, because historically tes smashed in GFs don't do well the following year

The expectations on sheldrick are already too high. He wasn’t a top ten pick - he’s not tall and not wide bodied. He may be a low centre of gravity type but I doubt he will be Josh Kennedy

If he develops into an inside mid in 2-3 years as a dominant inside mid that’s be amazing but let’s just wait and see

If Parker and mills can’t compete on the inside that’s where we are

West Coast were flogged by Hawthorn in 2015 (the 46 point margin flattered them). They'd win it 3 years later.

Fingers crossed it's just a bump in the road for us.

McDonald deserves to be pretty angry.
He was nowhere near it the last few games. Uncompetitive in the aerial contests, offering nothing. He may come good, still very young.
If anyone maybe Amartey should be quietly annoyed not to get the chance.

Would not have made a bit of difference though. The straight murdered us in the mids and at every contest.

Very disappointing and tbh - I think the club and the coaching staff need to take responsibility. It is NOT OK to perform so poorly in 3 Grand Finals. It is NOT OK to turn up in (almost) all of the Home and Away games and then completely fail to compete in the most important game of the season.

The youngsters have to pick themselves up and stick together. This is the main thing right now if we have any hope of redeeming ourselves in the next few years.
Frankly I would have just taken the loss last week then to not turn up at all in the most important game of the year.
Just feel completely deflated right now, but we go again I guess.

Very disappointing and tbh - I think the club and the coaching staff need to take responsibility. It is NOT OK to perform so poorly in 3 Grand Finals. It is NOT OK to turn up in (almost) all of the Home and Away games and then completely fail to compete in the most important game of the season.
Agree, I'll forgive 2016 as we were on, we were semi on at half time in 06. 2014 and 2022 absolutely embarrassing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back