Autopsy 2022 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

We’ll done to Geelong Football Club. Too professional for us.
First thing.
NEVER GO INTO GAMES WITH PLAYERS CARRYING AN INJURY.
Second thing.
We’ll done Robbie Fox & Chad Warner.
No third things for now.

Geelongs ability to play Blicavs, Stanley and Hawkins in the ruck against Hickey killed us. Blicavs and Stanley just too athletic, played like extra mids and Hawkins rag dolled poor Ruck Jesus. It was a 3 v 1 smash up. Hickey got no respite whereas the 3 big cats all got decent breaks and remained fresh. I think this was pivotal to Geelongs dominance at the stoppages and also took away Hickey's (who was our top rated player of the finals) influence around the park.

Lloyd has had an up and down season but was annihilated today. Looked all at sea whenever the ball came in his direction.

You could tell in the first 3 minutes it was all over.
You could tell early, we were slow to respond. We lost it tactically. The defensive structure we applied was way off, we needed one on one to start the second to get some accountability. The space Geelong worked into w our zone just killed us. We panicked and just failed in applying pressure.

It was a very good year for us, got back here quicker than we should have. I am not as flat, I think the actual game took care of thst….one consolation was Rohan was rubbish. It’s all I got!!

Hats off Chad Warner….exceptional in a poor team effort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best:

Fox - the only genuine success story, at worst came out even with his opponent and probably beat him

Daylight

The rest but only within the context of a team totally destroyed right across the ground and who played putrid football

Warner

Parker, Rowbottom
Clarke
Papley

Mills

Rest of backline - some acknowledgment that theirs was an impossible task given the frequency and way the ball came down to them

The others - I can’t think of an adequate adjective to describe how bad they were

I'm chalking this one up as psychic investment in the next premiership
This is actually huge. You can tell in the first qtr we were absolutely out of our depth. Nervous kicks shit decisions etc. We were clearly over raord by the occasion. In a year where we didn't expect to make it, if we make it next year I have no doubt our boys will be better prepared. This loss is the best thing to happen to us. It's no different to the Essendon loss except we're talking premiership stakes. If it's is against a Fremantle or Brisbane next year we will be prepared whilst they will be nervous just as we were.

I can’t help but feel a bit angry.

The Reid selection was clearly a blunder - a professional club full of medicos should know better.

Who knows what impact Logan’s axing had on the team spirit - especially when they knew Reid was hobbled.

We got beaten by the (vastly) better side, but it feels like there was a very big self inflicted wound at the selection table.
100% we should never have played Reid he was hobbled and now we wait and hope Logan responds like a true blood!

Questions need to be asked of the match committee for mine

Fox and Warner were the only ones who were at the level today.

I didn’t notice him at the game but Parker can also hold his head up high based on his stats.

Rest of our team were not at it unfortunately.

Hope this spurs is on in 23 and forward.

Questions need to be asked of our coaches around allowing Geelong to have a spare in defence all game.

Set them up and we played into their hands, couldn’t get it forward and when we did they picked us off

What I don't get was where was our pressure? Sure our offense can suck but we can keep tackling. Apart from Parker our individuals had a low tackle count. I could give them a pass if the pressure game we've had the whole year was there.

Questions need to be asked of our coaches around allowing Geelong to have a spare in defence all game.

Set them up and we played into their hands, couldn’t get it forward and when we did they picked us off
To be honest I don’t think it really mattered. Cats were so dominant in midfield that the ball rarely got that far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back