2022 Hawthorn List Management Discussion (including Trade, FA period)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Second highest percentage last season says otherwise

Not really - their percentage was bolstered by a very strong points against figure. However their points for was 6th best of all the top 8 teams. 3 of the sides ranked above them for total points scored played in the prelims. It is not incorrect to state, as some are here, that their ability to kick a winning score is what hampered the Demons in 2022.

Second highest percentage last season says otherwise
Says otherwise to what? We were talking about offense.

3rd highest inside 50 count, 2nd highest inside 50 differential
8th for goal assists, 7th for goals scored

I think over the years, hawks have overcome the cp counts against them, by being very efficient in the front half, and a fairly good defence for most games

Cant see the defence being overwhelmed, but Gunston takes a lot of efficiency away from the fwd line, and cp counts may go even worse in the short term

This can be characterised under broad categories ‘experience’ and ‘leadership’ but the biggest issue may be more specific.

Goal opportunities and efficiency in fwd line. Not to say there isn’t the talent to develop. There’s a few youngsters who like to pinch a goal

Last edited:
I think over the years, hawks have overcome the cp counts against them, by being very efficient in the front half, and a fairly good defence for most games

Cant see the defence being overwhelmed, but Gunston takes a lot of efficiency away from the fwd line, and cp counts may go even worse in the short term

This can be characterised under broad categories ‘experience’ and ‘leadership’ but the biggest issue may be more specific.

Goal opportunities and efficiency in fwd line. Not to say there isn’t the talent to develop
The worry for mine isn't contested possession.

For all Clarko talked about contested possession not mattering, he wasn't wrong because it's an incredibly overrated stat, he just lost sight of the fact that we were still a top 4 centre clearance and ground ball side in the comp throughout our best years. The low count back then was partly a product of getting the ball cleanly out of the contest before taking possession and getting it clear.

When it started hurting us was because we were getting low contested possession counts, and at the same time we weren't getting clean ball out of the middle. If we can equalise our clearance count, that's going to make a massive difference - it'll stop teams from getting runs on against us, or quickly responding goal for goal, like they did for most of the year.

For mine, the single biggest difference will be in our ruck division. A Meek/Reeves pairing SHOULD provide us far more (double?) than what 2022 gave up.

In 2022, our rucks combined to play just 27 of 44 games. On 17 occassions we only had one ruck, and once we had NONE!

Even when they were out there, neither Reeves or Lynch were fit enough to run out a game.

McEvoy - 82% * 8 games
Lynch - 67% * 7 games
Reeves - 67% * 12 games

With two rucks, we were 5-1. Our only loss was the McEvoy/Lynch pairing (and that in rd.23). We didn't lose a game when Reeves had ruck support!
With one ruck, we went 3-13
With zero rucks, we went 0-1

Maybe just luck, or maybe we were just injury gods away from finals in 2022. (Reeves shoulder, McEvoy's neck and Lynch's "broken mirror whilst walking under a ladder in front of a black cat" impersonation)

Round by Round: (rucks TOG)
1 - WIN Reeves 72, Lynch 18
2 - WIN Reeves 67, McEvoy 81
3 - Reeves 64, Nash
4 - Reeves 72, Nash
5 - WIN Reeves 21, Kosi, Nash (Reeves first signs of being a dominant ruck before his injury)
6 - Lynch 64, Nash
7 - Lynch 81, Callow
8 - Lynch 79, Callow
9 - Lynch 74, Kosi
10 - WIN Lynch 76, Kosi (Brisbane slaughtered us in the ruck, but we held on in a thriller at our cheat ground).
11 - Kosi, Howe
12 -Reeves 75, Kosi
13 -Reeves 72, Callow, Frost
15 -Reeves 75, Nash, Kosi
16 -Reeves 78, Kosi
17 -WIN Reeves 65, McEvoy 80
18 -WIN Reeves 73, McEvoy 81
19 -WIN Reeves 73, McEvoy 74
20 - McEvoy 85, Nash, Lewis, Kosi
21 - WIN McEvoy 88, Kosi (Gold Coast tanking? Or just ready for off-season)
22 - McEvoy 78, Kosi
23 - Lynch 80, McEvoy 94

Looked at the 2 games against Tigers last year.

They really gave our defenders huge headaches.

Lynch really made us look silly on both occasions

He is hard to stop when on song.

Looked at the 2 games against Tigers last year.

They really gave our defenders huge headaches.

Lynch really made us look silly on both occasions

He is hard to stop when on song.
In that first game against the tigers, I feel we did fairly well to limit their forwards considering we had 21 less I50s. His output vs his supply was fairly average if anything.

In the second game we all know what happened.

Have a feeling Cal Brown will be signed through our SSP selection. Has been training with the main group all pre-season and gives us another mid option who is more than capable.

On Pixel 3a using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be happy to leave the spot empty for a year, with next years draft looking good, and no obvious list-cloggers to prune off the list next year.

I'd be happy to leave the spot empty for a year, with next years draft looking good, and no obvious list-cloggers to prune off the list next year.

Agree with this. Keep the spot open - if someone is available come mid-season draft we then have flexibility also.

I’d keep it for the MSD. Would imagine we’ll have a pretty good pick again and could find some great emerging talent from the state leagues that went unselected in the draft. It’s been a pretty happy hunting ground for us lately.

I’d keep it for the MSD. Would imagine we’ll have a pretty good pick again and could find some great emerging talent from the state leagues that went unselected in the draft. It’s been a pretty happy hunting ground for us lately.
Far less unknown players will be unearthed now though as the pathways haven’t been Covid effected for a good 12 months.

Have a feeling Cal Brown will be signed through our SSP selection. Has been training with the main group all pre-season and gives us another mid option who is more than capable.

On Pixel 3a using BigFooty.com mobile app

With respect to him he's not AFL standard. Should be nowhere near our side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back