2022 Hawthorn List Management Discussion (including Trade, FA period)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't need two big KP's to be successful, Geelong of 2007-10 had Mooney as their number KP which says all you need to know.
The current Melbourne side is another case in point. Fritsch, who is a similar type and size to Fergus, is by far their most productive goal scorer. Next comes Ben Brown ('nuff said). They get by with a good spread of scorers.

You don't need two big KP's to be successful, Geelong of 2007-10 had Mooney as their number KP which says all you need to know.

I didn’t say we needed two big KP’s - I said Lewis needed a foil. He just needs someone else who is a genuine threat up forward to ensure he’s not double teamed prolifically.

Not even in the same stratosphere (which I know is your point). Right now none of them would make that Geelong side, bar maybe Newcombe.
Moore 100% makes that side, although not as a pure mid.

Pretty sure they had Hawkins too plus Ottens resting forward and Lonergan as swingman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That they covered for Geelong's lack of KPF.
Makes no sense in the context of the conversation mate.

The response was to Tyler saying he was more worried about our forward line than our midfield. So this just proves that the midfield is more important and where our focus should be, no?

I've noticed plenty of these misery guts comments come out of the blue just to punch down even if they make no sense.

Makes no sense in the context of the conversation mate.

The response was to Tyler saying he was more worried about our forward line than our midfield. So this just proves that the midfield is more important and where our focus should be, no?

I've noticed plenty of these misery guts comments come out of the blue just to punch down even if they make no sense.

It seems you've missed part of the conversation.

Ned Ryerson said, "Our lack of a genuine foil for Lewis is a big concern."

To which Theiofseed highlighted and replied, "You don't need two big KP's to be successful, Geelong of 2007-10 had Mooney as their number KP which says all you need to know.

Simon Nesbit then replied, "Corey, Bartel, Ablett, Ling, Chapman, Selwood
vs
Worpel, Morrison, Newcombe, Nash, Moore, Ward

Pretty even?"

And then you replied to Simon and I highlighted what he meant.

Pretty sure they had Hawkins too plus Ottens resting forward and Lonergan as swingman.
Geelong's 3 top KPF for goals

2007 - Mooney 67, Ottens 21, Hawkins 9
2008 - Mooney 62, Lonergan 36, Ottens 14
2009 - Mooney 46, Hawkins 34
2010 - Podsiadly 49, Mooney 36, Hawkins 21
2011- Podsiadly 52, Hawkins 27, Ottens 15

Would it be nice to have two elite Forwards? Sure but Geelong and Melbourne have shown you don't need that and can make up for it cross the ground.

Newk, Moore, Ward, Mackenzie, Macca, Weddle and Finn as a collective group will end up better than Corey, Bartel, Ablett, Ling, Chapman, Selwood ffs! Let’s revisit in 10 years 😀
I love your optimism but that's a lot of Brownlow Medals, All Australians, Norm Smith's, Club B&Fs and Premierships to catch up 😜

Still if you are right you have definetly called it first matey!

I love your optimism but that's a lot of Brownlow Medals, All Australians, Norm Smith's, Club B&Fs and Premierships to catch up 😜

Still if you are right you have definetly called it first matey!
Yeah was a long exhausting day yesterday and the sparkling shiraz in the evening definitely opened up the imagination 😀

The current Melbourne side is another case in point. Fritsch, who is a similar type and size to Fergus, is by far their most productive goal scorer. Next comes Ben Brown ('nuff said). They get by with a good spread of scorers.
But it is also the reason they failed to win the premiership last year, they just couldn't kick a winning score.

We need support for Lewis but it is less about them being elite at the moment and more about being able to take a load off Lewis. I don't want him getting beaten up for 4 quarters and 22 weeks.

I hope it is Kozi but still sceptical, unsure what Meek and Reeves will look like but have hope.

But it is also the reason they failed to win the premiership last year, they just couldn't kick a winning score.
Delivery matters, anyone who watched their inside 50 quality last season would understand why they couldn't kick a winning score. Not quite fair to lay the blame at the feet of the forwards for that one. Their entire team collapsed in on itself.

It was the same in 2021 when Melbourne won the grand final, kicking 21 goals, only 5 of which came from their two KPFs (Brown and McDonald). Fritsch scored 6 and the rest were spread around. Brown and McDonald are not a strong pair of KPFs.

Delivery matters, anyone who watched their inside 50 quality last season would understand why they couldn't kick a winning score. Not quite fair to lay the blame at the feet of the forwards for that one. Their entire team collapsed in on itself.
Second highest percentage last season says otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back