2022 Membership Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

They literally sell out every year but unlike finals or a Grand Final tickets are sold in advance some being part of membership packages that hinder the final attendance.
One thing that most people forget, Anzac Days match usually has between 5-10,000 military and veterans from the parade in attendance. Not to mention all the gurneys of other clubs in the crowd there for the spectacle. It shouldn’t be classified or compared to a regular home and way game. I can assure you that if Carlton or Richmond played on that day, no doubt they would draw the same attendances, especially if they’re fit and firing.

One thing that most people forget, Anzac Days match usually has between 5-10,000 military and veterans from the parade in attendance. Not to mention all the gurneys of other clubs in the crowd there for the spectacle. It shouldn’t be classified or compared to a regular home and way game. I can assure you that if Carlton or Richmond played on that day, no doubt they would draw the same attendances, especially if they’re fit and firing.
Exactly right it’s an event
I’ve been to Anzac Day game with my brotheR neither of us give a flying **** about the shit teams in it!

I've been to two Anzac day games.

Exactly right it’s an event
I’ve been to Anzac Day game with my brotheR neither of us give a flying fu** about the shit teams in it!
It’s not 5-10,000 military personnel however there are plenty of neutrals. But that’s also the case to all marquee fixtures including Dreamtime, Easter Monday and even the season launch match between Tigers and Blues.

However, ANZAC Day has one key difference. It always sells out, often in only days from on sale. In seasons where both clubs are performing well and it draws close to or above 90,000, I’d argue the match would sell another 10-15,000 tickets even after it’s sold out. Just like the original match in 1995. This isn’t a feature of the other marquee fixtures that draw neutrals along. And interestingly the ANZAC Day combatants are rarely playing finals relevant fixtures late in seasons. The last time they played a meaningful late season fixture was when they were battling for spots in the bottom part of the eight (Essendon) in 2019, with over 85,000 turning out.

It’s not 5-10,000 military personnel however there are plenty of neutrals. But that’s also the case to all marquee fixtures including Dreamtime, Easter Monday and even the season launch match between Tigers and Blues.

However, ANZAC Day has one key difference. It always sells out, often in only days from on sale. In seasons where both clubs are performing well and it draws close to or above 90,000, I’d argue the match would sell another 10-15,000 tickets even after it’s sold out. Just like the original match in 1995. This isn’t a feature of the other marquee fixtures that draw neutrals along.
I can only speak for myself but those other fixtures you’ve listed aren’t events in my eyes just AFL proper gander to fulfil mcg contract obligations.

However, ANZAC Day has one key difference. It always sells out, often in only days from on sale. In seasons where both clubs are performing well and it draws close to or above 90,000, I’d argue the match would sell another 10-15,000 tickets even after it’s sold out. Just like the original match in 1995. This isn’t a feature of the other marquee fixtures that draw neutrals along. And interestingly the ANZAC Day combatants are rarely playing finals relevant fixtures late in seasons. The last time they played a meaningful late season fixture was when they were battling for spots in the bottom part of the eight (Essendon) in 2019, with over 85,000 turning out.
I think you've completely missed my point. It actually is 5-10,000 military and veterans depending on the day, from the parade 2 hours earlier. It's a fact. Another fact is every other game you've listed are not events nor are they public holidays where everything closes. Another fact, that game in 2019 that you mention was equal to the rd 1 Carlton home game against Richmond, btw, we all know about the underperforming Carlton last few years. Plus the previous year, that same rd 1 game hosted 90,000 +. Also in 2019 Richmond and Melbourne on Anzac eve had a bigger attendance than Anzac Day. The reason they sell out Anzac Day so early is because its apart of both clubs particular membership packages, so when peoples memberships are purchased or renewed, there's a seat sold. This year, Essendon offered free ANZAC seats as part of memberships, in the weeks leading up to the game, given it was their home game and their 1-4 start. Other clubs including Carlton, when they have been underperforming, have done the same thing. So you see my point... I agree that not many other clubs can fill the ground on this day but you could argue that those other 2 could, with the same set up.

Last edited:
I think you've completely missed my point. It actually is 5-10,000 military and veterans depending on the day, from the parade 2 hours earlier. It's a fact. Another fact is every other game you've listed are not events nor are they public holidays where everything closes. Another fact, that game in 2019 that you mention was equal to the rd 1 Carlton home game against Richmond. Plus the 2 previous years before that same rd 1 game hosted 90,000 +. Also in 2019 Richmond and Melbourne on Anzac eve had a bigger attendance than Anzac Day. The reason they sell out Anzac Day so early is because its apart of both clubs particular membership packages, so when peoples memberships are purchased or renewed, there's a seat sold. This year, Essendon offered free ANZAC seats as part of memberships. Other clubs including Carlton, when they have been underperforming, do the same thing. So you see my point... I agree that not many other clubs can fill the ground on this day but you could argue that those other 2 could, with the same set up.
All good with that perspective. I just see it a little differently tbh.

Update

Richmond = 94,639
West Coast = 90,000 (announced on February 22)
Collingwood = 81,231
Carlton = 78,663
Essendon = 71,973
Geelong = 60,301
Hawthorn = 60,100 (as of February 19)
Melbourne = 57,424
Port Adelaide = 56,577
St Kilda = 53,633
Western Bulldogs = 46,718
Fremantle = 46,633
North Melbourne = 43,643
Adelaide = 40,000 + (as of February 19)
Brisbane Lions = 37,006
Sydney = 35,722 (as of February 19)
GWS = 25,094 (as of February 19)
Gold Coast = 8,721 (as of February 19)

This seems to prove that the "Big 4" in Victoria still exist.

Exactly. Any marquee game would draw 5-10,000 neutrals. I would even put in queens birthday as well as since 2006 To 2019 the game has ever aged around 67,000 people with the last two games in 2018 and 2019 drawing 83,000 and 74,000! If Collingwood are in the 8 by queens bday and Melbourne remain undefeated the crowd will be over 80,000 especially since is a Melbourne replacement home game

Exactly. Any marquee game would draw 5-10,000 neutrals. I would even put in queens birthday as well as since 2006 To 2019 the game has ever aged around 67,000 people with the last two games in 2018 and 2019 drawing 83,000 and 74,000! If Collingwood are in the 8 by queens bday and Melbourne remain undefeated the crowd will be over 80,000 especially since is a Melbourne replacement home game
Still got a shocking promo/graphics dept apparently
Thats not from website. Its from Facebook group:p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This seems to prove that the "Big 4" in Victoria still exist.
I have to say, Im pretty disappointed in Melbournes turnouts this year. Reigning premiers, undefeated, multiple home games at the G, yet they're struggling for attendances unless they're playing Richmond as the away team. Whats going on there?

Home rd 1 GF replay - 56,000
Home rd 3 v Essendon - 44,000 ???????
Home rd 5 v GWS. - 20,000 ???????
Away. rd 6 v Richmond - 70,000
Home rd 7 v Hawthorn. - 39,000 ???????

Im actually just asking, maybe you can explain it?

Attachments

• 0D73423C-8C6E-4177-9029-A494815481C6.jpeg
    0D73423C-8C6E-4177-9029-A494815481C6.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I have to say, Im pretty disappointed in Melbournes turnouts this year. Reigning premiers, undefeated, multiple home games at the G, yet they're struggling for attendances unless they're playing Richmond as the away team. Whats going on there?

Im actually just asking, maybe you can explain it?View attachment 1389592

The only thing I can explain apart from round 1 which I thought was a good crowd and a good Melbourne turnout of 35-40,000 of their fans is that Melbourne fans don’t like night games probably due to having a rather old supporter base.

Melbourne supporters would more likely prefer Saturday games at 2:10 and Sunday games at 1:10!

It’s the first chance this year they have a Sunday game at 1:10 against st.kilda. Two top 4 teams you would think they should get 45,000

Im actually just asking, maybe you can explain it?
theyre supporters are nuthin but a bunch of campaigners thats y
57 years of tripe doesnt encourage or promote loyalty

Carlton - as at 2nd May

1651458433637746993626f418184775_desktop.png.webp

Remove this Banner Ad

2022 Membership Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Back