2022 Membership Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

All numbers have been fudged for about 15 years if the Blues were were winning premierships around the same time as the Hawks they would still have more members fudged or not. Hawthorn nearly merged in 96 and there was a massive membership spike to keep the club alive it carried through to 02.

It's incorrect to say Carlton has had less than members than Hawthorn in it's history, 90 to 97, 03 to 06, 21, 22 and if you want to go prior to 90 Collingwood and Carlton have been 1 and 2 going back to the late 60's. I've been told that Carlton are in the top 3 most popular clubs after the Eagles and Pies with proof to back this up but the Bombers and Tigers have facts to prove otherwise. I just hope we win on Sunday that's what I care about.

2011 is when the 3 game membership started to really kick off.

2011 is when the 3 game membership started to really kick off.
The Blues were the last of the big clubs (Hawthorn included)to catch on to the variety of memberships offered.

I remember meeting up with a Collingwood mate of mine at half time of the second match we played them in 2010 ( I have reserved seating) and he told me he had a 3 game membership I was like wtf.

Yes, could well do. The 'Big 4' may also still be an accurate reflection (for the little it's worth). My only argument is that I don't think the membership numbers from 2022 prove anything (especially when some clubs haven't updated theirs for months). A broader analysis is needed IMO than looking at membership figures from one season in isolation.

From 1990-2020 combined for example, Hawthorn have the 2nd most members from Victorian clubs (Collingwood 1st) and were average on field for nearly the whole first half of that.

Looking deeper, in 1997 Hawthorn were 2nd, 98 - first, 99 - 2nd, 01 - 2nd, 02 - 2nd, etc. This is when Hawthorn were mostly rubbish (and Essendon, Carlton and Collingwood were all strong clubs). Carlton has rarely had more members than Hawthorn in its history.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not for a minute claiming (nor do I care) whether Hawthorn is "bigger" or not - just that single year membership figures are not really proof of anything, especially now when numbers are permitted to be fudged after relaxing what constitutes a member.
I wouldn't say "prove", no. Hawthorn, for example, have been top 4 in memberships for Victorian clubs in 14 of the last 15 seasons (mostly top 2). More often than Richmond, more often than Carlton and I think more often than Essendon too.

Last season was the first season in a very long time Hawthorn were not top 4, which is interesting as it coincided with the 'relaxing' of how memberships are counted (with Carlton experiencing a big jump).
Funny, are you saying that Hawthorn never inflated their numbers?
I know for a fact that there have been as many as 11,000 Tasmanian members on 3 game memberships. Not to mention, they were the first club to introduce pet memberships back in 2005 in their figures. I’d argue, the order you see the list now, will remain as such for the foreseeable future. Hopefully for Hawks sake, they don’t start up a perm Tassie team.

I know for a fact that there have been as many as 11,000 Tasmanian members on 3 game memberships. Not to mention, they were the first club to introduce pet memberships back in 2005 in their figures. I’d argue, the order you see the list now, will remain as such for the foreseeable future. Hopefully for Hawks sake, they don’t start up a perm Tassie team.

Hawthorn has never had more than 9000 Tasmanian members in its history (according to the HFC Annual Report which lists Tasmanian membership every year)

I’m not sure whether they were the first but pet memberships for most clubs (uncounted by the AFL - as they used ticketed membership to determine GF allocation) was available long before 2005.

So I’m not sure what you as fact is correct or not.

Last edited:
Monday, May 9, 2022

AFL club membership surpasses one million

One in 25 Australians are AFL club members, with the AFL today celebrating AFL club membership numbers surpassing one million this year.

A total of 1,043,604 members have signed up to support their favourite club in 2022, surpassing the one million membership milestone 20 days ahead of the same time in 2021, in a year which saw the league achieve its all-time club membership record of 1,113,441.

The one million membership figure includes AFLW club membership which experienced an 89 per cent year-on-year growth to reach a record breaking 48,712 members for the first-time in the competition’s history.

The West Coast Eagles and Richmond continue to lead the membership tally with strong support from fans, while North Melbourne along with last year’s Grand Finalists Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs Football Clubs have achieved record-breaking club membership figures this season.

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan said the continued support for the game from fans across the country was a sign of football’s strong return in 2022.

“Australian Football is well and truly back across the country. With full capacity at every venue, the return of general admission access, reserved seat members back in their seats, and now more than one million club members, we couldn’t be prouder of our start to the year,” Mr. McLachlan said.

“On behalf of the AFL, I’d like to thank all 18 Clubs for their hard work in engaging with our fans across the country and to every club member whose passion and support makes footy the greatest game in the world.”

Carlton - 9th May update ...

16520738224809839056278a55e7ecdc_desktop.png.webp

Wrong, wrong, wrong.
1. Tasmania is actually four game memberships. Peaked at 9k.
2. Pet memberships have never been counted (we haven’t even offered them in a long, long time)
3. Our membership is the worst value in Melbourne due to only 6 MCG home games, we will pick up a few Melbourne based members when we exit Tassie, and will probably retain half of our Tas members. We might drop a few thousand members but revenue should be about the same.

AFL hits milestone membership numbers as footy fans flock to sign up​

A record number of footy fans are signing up as club members, with several teams edging towards the 100,000 milestone. See where your club ranks on the membership ladder.

The AFL has hit a milestone with more than one million club members – one in 25 Australians – signed up for the 2022 season.
A total of 1,043,604 footy fans have joined as members this year, surpassing the one-million milestone 20 days ahead of reaching the same figure last year.

West Coast and Richmond continue to lead the membership ladder having also come out on top last year, while grand finalists Melbourne and Western Bulldogs have achieved record sign-ups.

The one-million membership figure includes AFLW club membership, which recorded an 89 per cent year-on-year growth to reach a record 48,712.

AFL chief Gillon McLachlan said the continued support from fans across the country was a sign of footy’s strong return in 2022.

“Australian football is well and truly back,” he said. “With full capacity at every venue around the country, the return of general admission access, reserved seat members back in their seats, and now more than one million club members, we couldn’t be prouder of our start to the year.”

Premier Melbourne has signed up 59,144 members, topping last season’s record figure by almost 6000.

The Bulldogs and Port Adelaide have also enlisted more fans this year while Carlton, St Kilda and Fremantle are close behind.

Last year’s Covid-ravaged season which was affected by border closures, crowd caps and empty stadiums, still produced a record 1,113,441 club memberships as fans backed their clubs through hardship.

With 15 rounds left, the AFL is on track to beat last year’s total – which was led by West Coast with 106,422 members.

Despite missing the top eight, Richmond was second on the 2021 membership ladder with a club record 105,084, passing the 100,000 mark for the fourth year in a row.

Richmond in 2018 was the first club to break the 100,000-member mark.

Victorian AFL 2022 Membership Ladder​

SIGNED UP
Richmond
Carlton 80,529
Collingwood 75,000-plus
Essendon 74,024
Hawthorn 70,007
Geelong 63,124
Melbourne 59,144
St Kilda 54,454
Western Bulldogs 47,962
North Melbourne 46,401

A record number of footy fans are signing up as club members, with several teams edging towards the 100,000 milestone. See where your club ranks on the membership ladder.

The AFL has hit a milestone with more than one million club members – one in 25 Australians – signed up for the 2022 season.
A total of 1,043,604 footy fans have joined as members this year, surpassing the one-million milestone 20 days ahead of reaching the same figure last year.

West Coast and Richmond continue to lead the membership ladder having also come out on top last year, while grand finalists Melbourne and Western Bulldogs have achieved record sign-ups.

The one-million membership figure includes AFLW club membership, which recorded an 89 per cent year-on-year growth to reach a record 48,712.

AFL chief Gillon McLachlan said the continued support from fans across the country was a sign of footy’s strong return in 2022.

“Australian football is well and truly back,” he said. “With full capacity at every venue around the country, the return of general admission access, reserved seat members back in their seats, and now more than one million club members, we couldn’t be prouder of our start to the year.”

Premier Melbourne has signed up 59,144 members, topping last season’s record figure by almost 6000.

The Bulldogs and Port Adelaide have also enlisted more fans this year while Carlton, St Kilda and Fremantle are close behind.

Last year’s Covid-ravaged season which was affected by border closures, crowd caps and empty stadiums, still produced a record 1,113,441 club memberships as fans backed their clubs through hardship.

With 15 rounds left, the AFL is on track to beat last year’s total – which was led by West Coast with 106,422 members.

Despite missing the top eight, Richmond was second on the 2021 membership ladder with a club record 105,084, passing the 100,000 mark for the fourth year in a row.

SIGNED UP
Richmond
Carlton 80,529
Collingwood 75,000-plus
Essendon 74,024
Hawthorn 70,007
Geelong 63,124
Melbourne 59,144
St Kilda 54,454
Western Bulldogs 47,962
North Melbourne 46,401
Richmond’s figure is over 5,000 down when competed to this time last year it seems.. Tiger folks, is this roughly right?

Hawthorns figures won’t be as poor as originally thought early in the year. Maybe exceeding expectations with some early decent form swung a few fence sitters back. I doubt they will match last years figure, although they will give it a shake it appears.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond’s figure is over 5,000 down when competed to this time last year it seems.. Tiger folks, is this roughly right?

Hawthorns figures won’t be as poor as originally thought early in the year. Maybe exceeding expectations with some early decent form swung a few fence sitters back. I doubt they will match last years figure, although they will give it a shake it appears.
Richmond announced 100K on May 4 last year.

Last time I checked, they were just under 96K at the moment.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.
1. Tasmania is actually four game memberships. Peaked at 9k.
2. Pet memberships have never been counted (we haven’t even offered them in a long, long time)
3. Our membership is the worst value in Melbourne due to only 6 MCG home games, we will pick up a few Melbourne based members when we exit Tassie, and will probably retain half of our Tas members. We might drop a few thousand members but revenue should be about the same.
Hawks members get replacement games for the Tassie games though, it's not like they pay the same amount to attend 7 games.

SIGNED UP
Richmond
Carlton 80,529
Collingwood 75,000-plus
Essendon 74,024
Hawthorn 70,007
Geelong 63,124
Melbourne 59,144
St Kilda 54,454
Western Bulldogs 47,962
North Melbourne 46,401
Collingwood have 83,000 members as of last week

SIGNED UP
Richmond
Carlton 80,529
Collingwood 75,000-plus
Essendon 74,024
Hawthorn 70,007
Geelong 63,124
Melbourne 59,144
St Kilda 54,454
Western Bulldogs 47,962
North Melbourne 46,401
carlton selling 2 for 1 for one month

Richmond announced 100K on May 4 last year.

Last time I checked, they were just under 96K at the moment.
Thanks to Madtiger2006 -

10/5/22-95,382
10/5/21-100,800

Remove this Banner Ad

2022 Membership Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Back