2022 NAB AFLW Preliminary Draft Order as at 31st May

Remove this Banner Ad

Waiting with bated with now to see what we get for Jones. I Hope we can get her to stay but she is in QLD now Playing in some league over there so dont think so.

Waiting with bated with now to see what we get for Jones. I Hope we can get her to stay but she is in QLD now Playing in some league over there so dont think so.
Happy to trade her, as she's probably at peak value and isn't a true KPF.

Goal a game forward in a league that will quickly have 2 goal a game forwards.

Happy to trade her, as she's probably at peak value and isn't a true KPF.

I thought Jones was a shining light for us this year. But luckily we have Gibbs back who is a big upgrade.

I Just hope we get something good for Jones and not get pushed around. We put a couple of years development into Jones and she was in our best 22 this year.

Very disappointing losing quite a few of our top players and replacing them with fringe players at best.
The draft system for the women’s comp is seriously compromised. Adelaide and Port get to pick the eyes out of the SA Under 18s who were undefeated and thumped WA and Vic Country, meanwhile Carlton lose their top end players and get to line up with the other 9 Vic clubs to try and fill their roster up.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This sums it up

A bit of wishful thinking don't you think, given the compromised draft this year? How the hell was the club s'posed to manage anything better than this? The player wanted to leave, it's not like the club was holding any cards.

I thought Jones was a shining light for us this year. But luckily we have Gibbs back who is a big upgrade.

I Just hope we get something good for Jones and not get pushed around. We put a couple of years development into Jones and she was in our best 22 this year.
To be fair, Jones put the development into herself by going to FNQ to play a season up there and work on her deficiencies. I'm not sure whether the club sponsored that, but given the seemingly second-class citizen status of the AFLW program, I doubt it.

A bit of wishful thinking don't you think, given the compromised draft this year? How the hell was the club s'posed to manage anything better than this? The player wanted to leave, it's not like the club was holding any cards.
get another late pick back and try to trade those up the order after trade period.

Also McWilliams was delisted [edit: not offered a contract], why did we trade for her instead of signing her as a free agent?

Last edited:
Wow there must be someone super special that we think will be likely available at 8 and gone by 10. That is a damn big premium to pay!

I would assume the 36yr old McWilliams would have little to no value in that deal, so the pick upgrade is equal to Charlotte Wilson's value!

So why are all these players leaving the last couple of years? Is this happening to all clubs, as the players chase better deals while they can, or is Carlton not a good place to be ? There has been no explaination as to why each player wants to leave?

Our trading in and out of players over the past few years has been imo a real small win and big miss, the misses have been below average to bloody ordinary..

The way the club has orchestrated some of our trades and valued players both ways is a bit of joke…

The latest trade says it all, the talent identification is subpar, it’s unfortunate that the list is pretty much gutted within 3 years, no compensation for clubs loosing their very best players is absolutely moronic…
The way the AFL has set this entire system up is a disgrace, ****ing amateur hour once again…

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow there must be someone super special that we think will be likely available at 8 and gone by 10. That is a damn big premium to pay!

I would assume the 36yr old McWilliams would have little to no value in that deal, so the pick upgrade is equal to Charlotte Wilson's value!
The plot thickens, as we made Richmond upgrade pick 30 to 25, even though they had pick 35 in hand.

Very disappointing losing quite a few of our top players and replacing them with fringe players at best.
The draft system for the women’s comp is seriously compromised. Adelaide and Port get to pick the eyes out of the SA Under 18s who were undefeated and thumped WA and Vic Country, meanwhile Carlton lose their top end players and get to line up with the other 9 Vic clubs to try and fill their roster up.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not to mention Crows having access to all SA and NT players their whole time in the competition. Unfair right from the start.

This entire thing reeks of the tried and trusted AFL makey-upy as you go.
Couldn't run a choko vine over a shithouse roof!
I've always taped the games and watched them mainly in fast motion.
A couple of goals a game and a rolling maul does nothing for me.
From now on I'll give the recorder a rest.
I believe Foxtel are going to be showing World Championship Toe Wrestling in similar time slots. 😀

Just because they say they want a professional league doesn't mean many of the players will treat it as such.

There's not a lot the club can do if players want to run off and play with their mates/partners etc.

I get the distinct vibe about the AFLW that there's plenty of players from other teams tapping up other teams players behind the scenes.

Especially given how easy it is for players to switch clubs and how these requests seems to come out of no where.

Have witnessed this happening quite a bit in lower level women's leagues too.

This sums it up

So we drafted her at Vic 10 and traded her at Vic 13 and people are upset? Was it all those All Australians and Best on Grounds that made her worth more?

I don't get it.

So we drafted her at Vic 10 and traded her at Vic 13 and people are upset? Was it all those All Australians and Best on Grounds that made her worth more?

I don't get it.
Death by a thousand cuts. Getting unders for one trade isn't an issue. Getting under for every single trade/departure is. Especially since there have been so many.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Death by a thousand cuts. Getting unders for one trade isn't an issue. Getting under for every single trade/departure is. Especially since there have been so many.

Unders according to who though?

Original draft pick, supporter opinions?

Unders in the opinion of those that are getting pissed about that trade.

Well, I'd love to hear the discussion on what the going rate should be for these players instead of just a complaint without substantiation.

IN:

Phoebe McWilliams + #17 (Vic 8) for #21 (Vic 10) and #42 (Vic 23) Value = #52 on the AFL draft calculator

Yes she is 36 years old. Yes, she hadn't been offered a contract at the Cats, mostly because she had indicated she wanted to move as her commute was too much. She had met with the Dogs and Giants, so it wasn't just us interested in her. A final cost of #52 is not something to get upset about. Kicked 10 goals last season.

Amelia Velardia + #73 (Vic 39) for Lauren Brazzale, #38 (Vic 21) and #89 (Vic 47)

This equals Velardia for Brazzale and #38 on the draft calculator as the lower picks have no points value.

Velardo was taken at #25 in the 2020 draft (Vic 18). She is 20 years old. I can't comment on her form as I admit I had not noticed her before and I don't watch Collingwood games generally. She is 176cms tall, and is considered a midfielder or undersized ruck. On a pure original draft pick value, Velardo at 25 and Brazzale at 62, makes that #38 difference in the trade almost bang on. The fact that Velardo is 20 and Brazzale 28, probably gives us greater scope to have won that trade.

OUT:

Lauren Brazzale + #38 (Vic 21), #89 (#47) for Amelia Velardia + #73 (Vic 39)

Brazzale was taken with #62 in the 2016 draft. She is 28 years old. She had fallen out of our best side twice last season. She was not providing the run and carry we had previously got from her and was not catching opponents on the rebound. Was this just injury or was our attempt to play more outside football, putting her under pressure she hadn't had before? So many unknowns, but on last season's form, she wasn't in our best side.

Courtney Jones - trade yet to happen

Gold Coast have #19 and #49 which are #10 and #28 in the Victorian pool respectively. The trade hasn't been done yet and I'd suggest the Suns don't want to give up that #19 which is the 1st pick in Queensland for them. Given they just alternate in the Qld draft with the Lions, giving up #19 shouldn't be an issue but they may want to get something back that is ahead of Lions #41 national pick is is #2 in the Qld draft. We have 17, 25, 28 which are 8, 13, 15 in the Vic draft, and I'd hate to give up Vic 15 and Jones just to get Vic 10. V15 and Jones for V10 and V28 might be possible. It only gives Jones a value of #34 nationally though. I'd hold out for #19 personally. V8, 10, 13 and 15 looks nicer than V8, 10, 13 and 28.

Incidentally, Jones was taken with #59 in the 2019 National Draft. How much do we need to get to win this trade?

Grace Egan traded for #25 in the National Draft (V 13)

Originally drafted at National Draft Pick 13 (V10), so we have lost 3 spots in value in the draft we are eligible for. Egan has been a good ball winner and is young so still have potential to improve. Her disposal is suspect and she seemingly was planning to leave to return to her original VFL side, and really showed a lot of disrespect to the club in the wake of the Prespakis defection to Essendon. Is it really such a indictment on the club that we lost 3 spots in value?

Nicola Stevens traded for #28 (Vic 15)

We paid up big for her as a 23 year old. She was taken at #6 by the Pies the year before (Vic 3) and we made the first trade in AFLW history in giving over a 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounders for Stevens and a 4th rounder. This effectively valued her at Pick 1. She made the All Australian side in her first season for Collingwood and won their best and fairest. She failed to make an impact for us until we moved her forward and has averaged half a goal per game overall. It is fair to say she did not live up to what we paid for her originally, and while she has been forced to effectively play as an undersized tall forward and shown plenty of class, she did not live up to her first season and at 29 years of age, to still be worth a first round pick, is fortunate for us.

Charlotte Wilson traded for #42 (Vic 22)

Taken with #27 in the 2018 draft (Vic 21)

So we've essentially trade Wilson out for a 1 pick loss in the Victorian pool. It didn't help our cause that she got an offer from Melbourne and Trudgeon had surpassed her as our main tall defender. If you fell out of the side in your most recent season, would you expect your value to increase?

We currently have 8, 13, 15, 29, 37, 39, 56, 66, 76 etc in the Victorian Draft.

Note that a lot of interstate players will be nominating for the Victorian Draft instead of/as well as their own state draft, given there are more opportunities to get picked up.

Last edited:
Looking at some Victorian names including those likely to be gone at our picks, just so we can track what is in our range.

2022 RM Central Team of the AFLW U18s

Are Victorian or have nominated for the Vic pool and made Rookie Me's team of the U18 carnival. Note that some players who didn't play all 3 games for whatever reason, were not eligible for their team but may still be at the pointy end of the draft.

Keeley Skepper
Mia Busch
Mackenzie Eardley
Riley Wilcox
Zarlie Goldsworthy
Montana Ham
Charlotte Baskaran
Amber Clarke
Sofia Hurley
Paige Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

2022 NAB AFLW Preliminary Draft Order as at 31st May