2022 NAB AFLW Preliminary Draft Order as at 31st May

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks. I thought the 'stains and hawks held the first 8 vic picks and couldn't trade them. Seems not.

Hawks got 4 of the first 6 and Bombers 2, because the latter signed more talent from existing clubs.

Yep, reamed on the Jones trade.

The Suns better have plans to use one of their first 2 picks in a further trade or they stiffed us for no good reason.

8, 12, 14, 26, 31 in the Vic draft.

I reckon I'm going to treat this one like I treat a tv series thread on the Media board. If you don't like it, have nothing but bad things to say about it, stay out of the thread and let those who do like it discuss it in peace. Sorry.

Except if you're a paid up member everyone has a right to express if we're wasting our money and resources on said Mickey Mouse competition.

This is what happens when your rush to get a product to market and many players only take it half serious.

CARLTON has ended the AFLW Sign and Trade period with two top-10 Victorian selections after executing a pick swap with Hawthorn.
Carlton received national first-round selection pick No.18 (Victorian pick No.9) in exchange for national selection picks No.25, 28 and 55 (Victorian picks 12, 14 and 31).

The Club heads into the 2022 NAB AFL Women’s Draft with five selections, two of those in the first-round, one in the second and a further two in the fourth.

That seems like a terrible trade. 12, 14 & 31 for 9? That’s madness. With so many players leaving for little to no return, I’d have thought multiple picks were preferable to one. But clearly the brains trust in the Carlton AFLW have been absolutely nailing every move this offseason so who am I to judge…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Must have identified some top-end talent we’re keen on. That leaves us with two picks (9 and 10) in the Vic top 10.

We ended up with Lee and Sherar in similar circumstances last year. Both keen Bluebaggers. Any of this year’s top picks Carlton supporters, by chance??

Except if you're a paid up member everyone has a right to express if we're wasting our money and resources on said Mickey Mouse competition.

This is what happens when your rush to get a product to market and many players only take it half serious.

Not here thanks. There is literally a whole AFLW board.

This is about our team and our trades/drafting. It's not about the whole AFLW concept.

Not here thanks. There is literally a whole AFLW board.

This is about our team and our trades/drafting. It's not about the whole AFLW concept.

And our team has been wrecked by the Mickey Mouse nature of the competition and players.

Farcical how teams get abysmal compensation for losing their best players and the players themselves just taking off to other clubs so easily.

That's not how you get people to give two craps about a team or competition.

For people complaining that we are losing "so many players" compared to other clubs - I've been doing some tracking across the expansion/trade period, and the losses are actually comparable to several other existing clubs, both in numbers and talent.

OUTS (no. of players)
7 - Carlton, Gold Coast
6 - Geelong, GWS, North Melbourne
5 - Adelaide, Collingwood, Melbourne, West Coast
4 - Western Bulldogs
3 - Fremantle, Richmond, St Kilda
2 - Brisbane

While losing less players than we did, North have lost the likes of Ashmore, Bannister, and Bateman; while the Bulldogs lost Lochland, Toogood, and former no. 1 pick and Rising Star Huntington. Every non-expansion club has lost at least 1 player to an expansion side, and traded in on average 2-3 new players (except Brisbane, who brought in none).

As Carlton supporters we are conditioned to always see/fear the worst in every move (guilty as charged), but when put in to perspective we're not much worse off than the other existing clubs. (Except Brisbane. But to be fair they have been hit really hard by expansion in the past so kind of evens out)

For people complaining that we are losing "so many players" compared to other clubs - I've been doing some tracking across the expansion/trade period, and the losses are actually comparable to several other existing clubs, both in numbers and talent.

OUTS (no. of players)
7 - Carlton, Gold Coast
6 - Geelong, GWS, North Melbourne
5 - Adelaide, Collingwood, Melbourne, West Coast
4 - Western Bulldogs
3 - Fremantle, Richmond, St Kilda
2 - Brisbane

While losing less players than we did, North have lost the likes of Ashmore, Bannister, and Bateman; while the Bulldogs lost Lochland, Toogood, and former no. 1 pick and Rising Star Huntington. Every non-expansion club has lost at least 1 player to an expansion side, and traded in on average 2-3 new players (except Brisbane, who brought in none).

As Carlton supporters we are conditioned to always see/fear the worst in every move (guilty as charged), but when put in to perspective we're not much worse off than the other existing clubs. (Except Brisbane. But to be fair they have been hit really hard by expansion in the past so kind of evens out)

It's not just about the number of players, though. It's also about their quality and their importance to the side they're leaving.

Look at the Suns who have also lost 7 players.

Baird - 1 game
Perkins - 10 games, 6 goals - 9th in B&F
Dunn - 9 games
Surman - 10 games, 4 goals, 7th in B&F
Yorston - 8 games
Perry - 1 game
Hammond - 7 games

Compare that to those who we've lost:

Georgia Gee - 10 games, 5 goals
Maddy Prespakis - 10 games - B&F winner
Charlotte Wilson - 3 games
Nicola Stevens- 10 games, 7 goals
Grace Egan - 7 games
Lauren Brazzale - 5 games
Courtney Jones - 9 games, 8 goals

There's no fair comparison to be made is there? It's not a "woe is me" attitude to suggest that this period has been a disaster for the club, and that's not even considering what we've received (or in some cases, didn't receive) in return for the above departures.

So who from the club is going to come out and explain the shit show they have just completed for the club ?

We gave up so many draft picks to get that pick 9, its just laughable. Hawthorn must have twisted an ankle with how quick they would have run to computer to put through that deal.

What are they thinking ?

We have lost 7 top players not just reserve ones. And added two. Surely we aren’t adding 5 from the draft with only around 3 decent picks.

The womens draft musnt run that deap surely. Or are they putting their heads in the sand and think the remaining girls are that talented.

Or maybe we are signing some delisted agents. Oh throw my hands in the air, i dont know. !!

I felt with the first pick trade that we were trading to get into a very specific draft range, and this just confirms it.

Really hope they've got the right read of the top tier of talent, because I feel like there's plenty of diamonds in the rough to be had with good quality talent ID being backed by the club.

I felt with the first pick trade that we were trading to get into a very specific draft range, and this just confirms it.

Really hope they've got the right read of the top tier of talent, because I feel like there's plenty of diamonds in the rough to be had with good quality talent ID being backed by the club.

Not a lot of difference between 8 and 10 or 9 and 12/14.

This isn't yet an exact science compared to the AFL draft rankings.

Good chance that who we are aiming for is not there but will we ever admit it?

Not a lot of difference between 8 and 10 or 9 and 12/14.

This isn't yet an exact science compared to the AFL draft rankings.

Good chance that who we are aiming for is not there but will we ever admit it?
The Northern kid seems to be in our sights, though at her size I would have figured she might have slid a few picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

2022 NAB AFLW Preliminary Draft Order as at 31st May

Remove this Banner Ad

Back