Autopsy 2022 Round 14 Slow starting Blues have disappointing loss

Who played well for the Blues in our round 14 match vs the Tigers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

This

We also lack awareness when it comes to taking the ball over the line or keeping it alive depending the numbers around that area

yeah was going to raise durdin not taking it over the boundary line that then went up the other end and they kicked a goal basically on the half time siren - i know we were pressing but just got to realise how long is left and take the throw in.

Really disappointing with our ball handling skills, we fumbled and fell to pieces in the wet with a little bit of match pressure. We looked slow and immobile around the contest, the wet really brought us undone. They had a few smaller shorter blokes who tore us a part, being too big, tall and slow in the middle is an issue for us at times. If I was the coach, I would be scheduling training so that lands on wet nights, we need to be better in the wet than this.

The umpiring deserves a wack. I don't care how the umpires interpret the game, consistent umpiring is good umpiring and it was all over the place. Too many umpires out there, too many individuals umpiring the game their own way and they want to add more. It's been a blight on the game all year. We got the raw end of the stick, forwards interfered with all game, you touch Lynch or Riewoldt and it's a free.

They were really good at just going forward, creating a contest and being front and centre, something they were elite in in their premiership seasons, we weren't. The ball would come off the contest and it would be all Richmond.

I thought our small forwards were terrible. Positioning was poor and provided no pressure or ball winning, where were they?

In hindsight we should have played Dow. We missed Cerra badly. Walsh and Cerra are our only quicker onballers and if one is missing IMO it creates a too slow too immobile problem in the centre for us. Dow should replace either of them.

Disappointing to be exposed like this. Not enough out of of our onballers who were a step slow and unskilled in there and nowhere near enough out of our small forwards.

Our game style needed to be adjusted and wasn't. Short hack kicks are kicks that go to the opposition. Overusing handball. Fumbling. Setting up longer with your key forwards and crumbers etc. Get it forward and long when there is no clear option. We needed to be able to go into wet weather mode and were found not to have a plan for that.

Cripps - ok game but going one handed in the wet and fumbling from your captain early set a precedent for the game that brought a discipline from us I did not like. You just don't do it, put the cute stuff away.

Walsh - He was everywhere, he was dominant.

Docherty - He's in career best form. He kept that rolling. Handled the wet well.

Hewett - A bit up and down, looked very slow.

Saad - Another in career best form, he's an elite player.

O'Brien - Racked them up but wasn't overly damaging. Ok game. Not a night for players who aren't strong in the contest.

Cottrell - I thought he was good, he didn't fumble and found a bit of it. Used his pace a bit.

Kennedy - He's strung a few ordinary games together now. His ball handling was deplorable. He's never been real quick below his knees but an AFL midfielder who fumbled so much and couldn't pick it up cleanly off the deck was hard to watch.

Newman - Really good game, here's a player who is just quietly in good form doing a good job.

Newnes - If it wasn't for having suspect skills his game would have been alright but the wet makes those poorly skilled players stand out. Kicking and ball handling weren't good.

Fisher - terrible game, played like a man without hands, fumbled everything, missed kicks.

Boyd - Liked his game, love his kicking.

Silvagni - He was good, he got to some good spots and handled the wet ball alright.

Plowman - Another player playing well and in career best form. Battling on some quality opposition too.

Young - He's going ok, being thrown in the deep end is going to be good for him long term. Needs to work on the spoiling a bit but I was happy with how he played. Needs to add some size and strength but that will come, still a young guy.

De Koning - He was ok, did some good things but impact could have been higher. Wasn't that fond of his rucking.

McKay - Thought we would see him up the ground at CHF giving us a long option, none of this happened. He ended up having a good game though.

Curnow - He didn't have a good day, one chance to mark he seemed to forget it was wet and tried to take it in the finger tips. Umpires could have looked after him more.

Sam Durdin - I thought he was alright. A big guy debuting in the wet on top AFL forwards in a team getting smashed out of the middle, he was alright.

Martin - He was pretty bloody ordinary as were all our small forwards. Gave us nothing.

Owies - Gave us nothing as well, loads of fumbling. AFL small forward who isn't clean off the deck is not a good thing. Had some moments but made nothing of it.

Corey Durdin - Also unsighted, having a really lean spell.

I only saw last 10 seconds of the first and the entirety of the second half. Obviously a slow start and we overused the ball by all reports in the first half and got smashed at the clearances but how much does Voss NOT rate Dow?

To not have him as sub was astounding. I wonder if one of our mids went down who would've pushed through the midfield - definitely not Fogarty. I wonder where he 'is' in our club (Dow)?

For me Fogarty is very one dimensional so it was a very odd choice as sub.

I'm glad we fought it out and we were 'that' close in the end. I can't see how that ball was touched on the Newnes goal but oh well nothing we can do about it.

With our injury list, I'm really happy we aren't and didn't get blown out of the water. That team is pushing top 4 with 1 illness on their list. Look at our injury list and then tell me that a 15 point loss (while disappointing) isn't the end of the world.

I'm happy to play

They had 50% more inside 50s - yeah so what - they had more entries and scored what they scored- are you saying they should have scored more or that our piecemeal defensive structure was fluky...or lucky - or what exactly?
They smashed us in clearances almost all night - no they won the clearances in the first half by playing better wet weather football - in fact we won the clearances +15 in Q3
They had more tackles - yep the players who don't tackle didn't - Im not calling out the poor efforts from 3-4 blokes tonight but Voss has NO CHOICE but to play them for a while yet
Their kick to handball ratio was 30% higher - yep the kicked 4 off the ground stright to their own players - you want to build a game around that ?
They moved the ball better and smarter and looked more dangerous in possession - you'd expect their full strength side to hold position on the outside better - and their better movement resulted in the inside 50 differential but again - what has that got to do with my question ?

You stated the end score flattered Carlton

I reckon 3-4 of their goals were dodgy as duck and gifted to them directly as a result of shockingly poor umpiring.
Thankyou, I feel better after you reading your post. :thumbsu:

Agreed, just clumsy - should’ve been a free (for high contact) but that’s not Lynch’s fault that it wasn’t paid.
Yeah at full speed I had no idea why Saad went down, must have been a deep on as he took ages to come back on. Nothing worse than a dirty finger in the eye.

25 more inside 50's.. that's what ended up costing us.

Also, the nuffie meter on talkback this morning is strong. I need a good laugh! 😄
yep, was lost in the midfield. When you look at it, your backline held up incredible well considering your mids were beaten and your forwards struggled.

Plowman was pretty solid again last night - been much better since he has had to knuckle down and work his way back into the side. I also think he is relishing playing on the taller players. takes away from some of his weaknesses which are getting lost on smaller players and iffy disposal coming out of the backline. Not being used as that rebounder as much due to playing a tighter role on his opponent

Plowman was pretty solid again last night - been much better since he has had to knuckle down and work his way back into the side. I also think he is relishing playing on the taller players. takes away from some of his weaknesses which are getting lost on smaller players and iffy disposal coming out of the backline. Not being used as that rebounder as much due to playing a tighter role on his opponent
Yeah he was solid at times, still has his amateur moments...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's probably nothing new here but I thought I would share regardless.

Third-Party Thoughts

I'm usually very quick to let a loss go. Emotional to the extreme in the moment but pretty relaxed afterward. I'm finally learning that it's not healthy to hold onto things like that.

However, it doesn't help that my partner's Dad is both a Richmond member and a retired QAFL umpire of 20+ seasons who still works as an umpire coach part-time while continuing to referee netball games all weekend.

He loves nothing more than to rub in a Richmond victory over us in our interaction. I ******* hate it as until round 1 it's been years of him rubbing it in.

However, for the first time ever instead of rubbing it in he messages me "Good game but the umpiring really killed you. Worst umpiring this year in a game that I've watched live. You'll bounce back!"

So I ask him what he's talking about and ask for specific examples.

1. The Adam Saad eye gouge was right in front of the umpire. Although it is accidental (i.e. not a report) it's still high contact and thus an easy free-kick. This resulted in Richmond's first goal. (+ 6 points to Richmond)

2. There is no way for the umpire to determine that Broad touched the ball on Newnes' goal. The footage isn't decisive enough. The fingers don't move simultaneously with the ball as they're already moving and don't change direction after the ball supposedly hits the hand. Richmond got an ensuing goal (-5 points to Carlton, +6 to Richmond)

3. Lewis Young was held by Tom Lynch preventing him from contesting Shai Bolton's game-sealing goal. One could argue that there's no way Young gets to Bolton but there was a definite free-kick in that play. (+6 points to Richmond)
He said there were other calls that resulted in scoreboard shifts in favor of Richmond but those were the ones that made him pause and write down notes.

We lost by 15 points. A lifelong Richmond supporter paid to train and educate umpires at the state level (with the hope of them getting to AFL level) can point to 4 goals that he thought were easy to make as game-decisive errors irk me.

--

Personal Thoughts

I still argue - as I did with him - that we played dumb wet weather football for far too much of the game.

Although we've had some really strong starts this year it's not the first time that we've let a team get the jump on us. This one hurt significantly more than others.

I believe that we had enough opportunity to win the game in the second half and missed far too many gettable opportunities.

These three things cost us the game more than the umpiring did in my uneducated opinion. It just stings to hear it from an umpire educator who typically loves to rub in their wins.

The goal at the end of the first half really hurt us going into the break. We had all the momentum and it shifted it to them going into the half. Ouch.

I hate Prestia though admittedly he is a gun player. However, what he did to Cripps at the end of the third quarter and initiating that melee really galvanized Richmond more than it did for us. There are significant lessons here that we must learn from. We're still a young team but we can't be the team that is easy to bully. We need to develop a steely resolve and put it into action on the field. I thought we were quick to retaliate and respond to it (ensuring the melee) but we didn't know how to utilize it to our strength while Richmond - who are the experts at it - clearly did.

On a similar note, I believe that we struggle mightily against teams who employ hard-tackling, contested, games. We lost tonight and Collingwood smashed us for much of the game by playing similarly. We have a team of midfield bulls. What can we do so that this changes? We will not win a finals game which are highly contested, drag it out affairs, until we learn to play against this style of play.

Finally, the injuries are starting to take their toll. Fingers crossed for Durdin.

Let this, mostly, incredible ride continue.
Great post Wickzki. Spot on with the Umps.

Blown away for 40 minutes, had enough of the pill but simply butchered it.

Fought our way back into it, just couldn’t win the big moments.

Was one of those nights where every lucky bounce, tap, knock on, went Richmond’s way.

Not taking anything away from the Tigers, they were a bit tougher.

On to next week.

After 13 (mostly very enjoyable) games, it is clear as day that our team will go as our midfield goes. If our midfield are winning around the ground and especially at centre bounce clearances, we are near on unstoppable and we can beat anyone. If our midfield are beaten, we are very beatable, especially with an undermanned defence.
We are 1-2 over the last 3 as our midfield has struggled to be damaging over that stretch.
Our prospects this year largely sit with Pittonent, TDK, Cripps, Walsh, Hewett, Cerra and Kennedy. That group get back to their brutal best, we will make the 8 and could beat anyone in a final. If that group get beaten for the rest of the year, we may not make the 8.

Another observation after watching it again on the tellie this morning, our 20-25 metre kicking can be absolutely horrendous, turnovers murdered us last night.

Richmonds 2 way running in comparison to ours was chalk and cheese.

We have no speed in our side.

We panic or +1 handball far to often and get ourselves into stupid positions.

Watched some highlights as overseas so couldn’t watch the game (sounds positive based on the reactions here).

One thing I couldn’t find was the Newnes touched kick. A whole article on it on the AFL site and no clip, also removed from the highlights package. That’s a bit odd?

Yup. Our midfield hasn't been the same since Pitto went down. We desperately need a backup big bodied bash and crash ruckman. The gap from Pitto to TDK is big, then even bigger from TDK to Mirkov.

What to do with TDK? He's a gun but I don't think his best footy is as a ruck. 3rd fwd that pinch hits ruck? Down back like this brother? I genuinely wouldn't mind the latter.
Down back🤣🤣 have you seen his defensive efforts?

Watched some highlights as overseas so couldn’t watch the game (sounds positive based on the reactions here).

One thing I couldn’t find was the Newnes touched kick. A whole article on it on the AFL site and no clip, also removed from the highlights package. That’s a bit odd?

Was just having a quick hunt around and couldnt see anything, . was at the game and because my hair is thinning and eyes are fading i could see the scoreboards that well, to see how "conclusive it was".From what ive heard on radio and on here it wasnt that conclusive, the umps didnt even refer it.

im sure the AFL wouldnt bury something they got wrong :rolleyes:

on a seperate note would coaches be training their player to "wiggle" their fingers when trying to smother a goal shot... just a thought

We were reamed no doubt - but we still somehow found a way of coming back, we just weren’t good enough to get over the line.

We used to beat teams and umpires with our premiership 3rd quarters in the early 80’s.

This team will find a way to do this - but we need to be closer to our best 22 players rather than - the best 12 we have on the park now.

Blown away for 40 minutes, had enough of the pill but simply butchered it.

Fought our way back into it, just couldn’t win the big moments.

Was one of those nights where every lucky bounce, tap, knock on, went Richmond’s way.

Not taking anything away from the Tigers, they were a bit tougher.

On to next week.

My son and I thought the same thing. A couple of soccer's went straight into their arms. If it was the other way.... well who knows.

Can we start blaming injuries yet?

Also the worst officiated game ive seen in a long time
My Answer YES
Blatant big push in the back to one of your guys ,inside the fifty mind you gets total silence from the umps , The player was pushed over.
That was in the last I think, you guys know.
Richmond get a nudge in the back, prick then does the superman impersination , sure enough free is given, big grin on his face . Ever heard of staging you magot.

Anyway I missed the first quarter so maybe you guys lost the game right there , and over used the handball , but and I say but you made a great fight of it, shame about a couple of decisions in the last.

Good luck , for the rest of the season, would be awesome to play you guys in the Finals, at the Gabba.
How good is Vossy.
Imagine if he was playing and Bolton was playing , I'll leave it there. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Round 14 Slow starting Blues have disappointing loss

Back