Autopsy 2022 Round 5 Heart attack Blues hold on again

Who played well for the Blues in Round 5 vs Port Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey we had a win - I’ll gleefully take it. A win is a win is a win.

We are WIP team, and hence we are not a 4 qtr team as yet.
But heck, bank the wins whilst we are learning is not a bad place to be.

I’ll take this ugly win over the ugly loss last week - every day of the week and twice on Sundays :D

C’mon everyone cheer up - we are 4 win out of 5 games and firmly in the 8!

2022 finals bound :D

You can tell yourself that, don't think you're going to convince anybody else.
I’m not looking to convince anyone else. I self validate.
I’m simply expressing a different opinion to you. Which you clearly don’t like.

But in the end, who knows, maybe you’re right, maybe I am. I suppose we’ll know when the team is announced next week. Unless you think either of us knows more about the caper than Vossy.

Cottrell top distance covered. Next 4 all Port. Possibly more, I think this Telstra Tracker only shows the top 5.

826f26e9-e0be-4a7e-b6f7-c0f0f2bdfa29-jpeg.1376446

I think I know what you mean ODN
Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde

Take A Look at the Ladder
we have been unconvincing in 4 games and every team we have played is outside the eight
we are lucky so far but the coaches better figure this out and make the positional changes or alter the strategy cause we got some work to do
View attachment 1376508

To be fair, I reckon the Doggies will come back strong. Grand Finalists last year, inaccuracy has been costing them.

Richmond have been without Dusty and Grimes recently who are crucial for them. When we played them they had both.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really frustrated by today, so will just focus on one major positive that all of us would have been desperate for at the start of the season:

How bloody good is it to see Charlie Curnow kicking bags and winning games for us?

Finally got the Harry & Charlie up and firing and it is glorious. We'd probably be 2-3 if Curnow wasn't back in form.

What an amazing come back after looking way off the pace in rd 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think Pittonet, could be our most important player...
How much better we play with him in the team is immense, would like to get another mature ruckman as backup...

Of our bottom 6-8 players, thought Cottrell and Fisher stood up today...

To think we are 4 and 1 and we are only playing our best for 25-50% of the game, what scope to grow...

Last edited:
Setterfield must have dropped out late, was in the top 5 for most of the match. Parks and Young featured there at times too.

Parks and Young? Pretty surprising to see 2 x tall defenders in the top handful for distance covered. Good sign though.

Interestingly, Parks only had 77% TOG which is really low for a tall defender...but must have been working really hard when he was on then. Young on the other hand had 100% TOG.

I’m as frustrated as the next person but in the light of day, we are still coming from a long way back, and as a team we are learning and building, and there are multiple areas we will need to do better. It seems getting back control of the game is one we still struggle with and playing 4 quarters of pressure footy is another. I really like the way the boys are digging in deep to win games and that is a bonus. Now we just need to put the foot down when we have a team on the ropes and not take the foot of the pedal.
We have so much scope of improvement but we will not be able to get away with these type of fades for too much longer. More 4 quarter pressure efforts are needed, starting with Fremantle next week.

Parks and Young? Pretty surprising to see 2 x tall defenders in the top handful for distance covered. Good sign though.

Interestingly, Parks only had 77% TOG which is really low for a tall defender...but must have been working really hard when he was on then. Young on the other hand had 100% TOG.

Indeed, think I saw them hovering around top 5 in the first half. Dropped away in the 2nd, as did most of our team except Cottrell.

The concerning thing that has been consistent is our third quarter form.

Thus far we've kicked 2-2-1-1-1 goals in third quarters.
It’s a sluggish return. What are the oppo stats goals against in the third?

In three of those games we had game winning leads (and so it was…).

Conceding goals against in the third is ok if you’re hitting them back. But oppo appears to be comprehensively winning 3rd terms.

My guess is that we have trouble controlling momentum and pace. I think we actively try to slow down the game when the oppo is red hot but swing too much to conserve and get ourselves into trouble. Then we panic. And not just one player but several players. We concede repeat d50 entries and oppo press really high. It exposes our defense and 1 v 1s. It also makes it hard to break off the line with nobody forward of the ball.

I think if we get more damaging on the turnover in the third quarters, the oppo doesn’t get close. It needs coordination to break the lines and utilize the corridors off the back half when the oppo get a whiff and push high. The mids need to be like a blue wall on the rebound. Fast and durable runners should be receiving up the ground from linking players, like MK and Hewett. It only takes a goal or two on rebound to totally smash the oppo’s spirit and accelerate away. This is where linebreakers like Saad become super important. Equally important are the smalls that should be racing to get into our f50 to swarm.

It’s only when we have a goal or so lead that we really shut down oppo properly and wrestle control back. This seems to be trained (which is good).

Figure out the problems in the third quarters and we win these games not only by a goal, but by 4-6 goals.

Last edited:
Guys like Newnes and Cottrell had statistically good games and a couple of nice moments each, but I dunno... I just don't trust either to win their position or keep the game churning over at the same speed our 1st tier of mids can. They noticeably slow us down and are always going to be down for a couple of disastrous turnovers or a fumble when we need some assertion.

The gamestyle we play is always going to support high possession numbers and I suspect the MC will be reviewing them carefully. There's just no standout winger in the squad, outside of the guys we're pushing to play at stoppages (Walsh and Cerra).

Cotts has his limitations for sure, I saw him as a direct replacement for LOB, saying that, I saw him crack in several times today, I saw him put his head over the ball, I even saw him take a contested mark. I highlight this because, these are the things LOB doesn’t do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Round 5 Heart attack Blues hold on again

Back