Autopsy 2022 Round 5 Heart attack Blues hold on again

Who played well for the Blues in Round 5 vs Port Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone notice that Weitering keeps fisting balls he would normally mark? At one stage yesterday he could have marked but instead fisted it 30m straight down the corridor to SPP almost costing a goal.

Unsure if this is form or coaching but in either case needs to be fixed quickly.
Yeah, even punching the ball yesterday when it had bounced. Felt he should of taken possession instead of punching into a dangerous spot.
Like to see him back himself in more, go for his marks and take possession. Think that's when he is at his best.

David King said last night that results this year are less important for Carlton than building a platform for success next year, I'd say preseason we all knew it but are losing sight of it a bit.

We probably have a 3-4 year window after this season and while we should play finals this year, it's still a work in progress
King is generally spot on
He has great football knowledge in my opinion

I don’t think he’s in the market for moving. Seems settled in SA.
no-one can be truly settled in a state where numbers walks at night............

Yep we’ve weirdly missed McGovern and Parks or Plowman aren’t capable of playing that intercepting role.

We’re relying on Weitering to do a lion’s share of the defensive work. As good as he is, he’s not Rance, he doesn’t have the athleticism to make long heroic spoils and just needs to control things as well as he can.

In general I don’t think our role players suit the style we are playing. We are pretty vanilla in the middle, we need some more creativity and weapons around the ground.
When we say Parks “can’t play” the intercepting role, I think that’s a bit harsh, at lower levels like SANFL and VFL he does it well, I just think AFL confidence and experience is what he needs most at this stage, too early to make a call until he gets that

Thought we were fantastic for 2 and a half quarters, even the last 10 minutes of the game was brutal football and Blues held our own.

The game changed when Port injected Rozee & Butters into the midfield. Rozee has done nothing all year, so had plenty of energy in reserve. Would have liked to see a few bruising tackles to slow them down a bit.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Feels at times he is doing the Jones role yet the Weiters role is not being filled by anyone at the moment. We are so horribly out of depth with our back stock that having Levi at CHB right now would have made him out second best defender.

Having Levi on the list would be handy right now.

Can play defence, backup forward and even backup ruck.

When we say Parks “can’t play” the intercepting role, I think that’s a bit harsh, at lower levels like SANFL and VFL he does it well, I just think AFL confidence and experience is what he needs most at this stage, too early to make a call until he gets that
It’s like what Judd said a while back
Whatever you’re good at in lower leagues you’ll be good at at AFL level
I suppose it’s just experience, maturity or growth and belief that needs to flow over at that higher level.

Voss on our potential improvement: “we’ve tried a couple of different things and they haven’t worked re: our approach after half time..”

This is for that poster who said I was wrong that it was our approach after half time which was getting us into trouble, and not that the midfield can only play a single half of footy.

From the coaches mouth. Hope that helps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's an post I found on Reddit. A level-headed perspective on where most of us thought we would be

I don't recall a single fan in pre-season, Carlton or otherwise, suggesting that Carlton should be a premiership contender this year. The resounding sentiment from Carlton supporters was that it was finals or bust, and that a place in the finals and looking half competitive there demonstrates a successful season.

Now, people are criticising Carlton for not having premiership credentials? No shit they don't. They were never supposed to. I suppose some of it is the media hyping them up, but it's kinda surreal to see Carlton now get mocked for not being a real contender when 6 weeks ago the only concrete expectation was a place in the 8.

Sure they have looked shaky, but that's indicative of a team with potential that isn't there yet. A 4-1 start and some dominating periods is more than enough relative to what people thought they might be, so I'm not sure why they cop it so much just because they're not up there with Melbourne or something

Last edited:
I really find "supporters" like you interesting. I mean, not one single post in our first 3 wins and then when we lose a game against the Suns, you decide to be post-Nostradamus. Not satisfied with that, you decide to continue to highlight only the work in progress areas, with no mention of what is actually working to have us sitting 4 - 1

Apart from the Demons who are currently flag favourites, could you highlight which other team has shown a level of consistency and or beaten teams they should have? Add to that, you highlight a side in 2016 that faded like it is some sort of comparison to our situation, even though their list was beyond maturity with very little youth coming from below

Then you talk about rewarding VFL output, a substandard level, without any understanding why the likes of Dow isn't getting a game, apart from being enamoured with the stats sheet.
Arrow, the fade outs are there to be seen and discussed. Have been for a while. Are you going to argue otherwise.

Are you going to argue that the same goal run ons that contributed to teague being sacked, and lack of momentum control are ok under Voss. Its not about sacking the coach, its about being realistic at this point of the season. 4-1 flatters the actual performances. Plenty on here agree with me.

I'm suggesting we should look at the way we play, not get caught up in the W. I want to see us become a 4 qtr team, not an inconsistent flash in the pan.

Instead of attacking the poster, which you have track history of doing... enlighten me as to what Dow is not doing right in 2s to warrant his chance, to replace Cripps on the wkend.

Match committee saw fit to select him as sub, which is the ultimate non decision.

Surely he would have been better for his development to play VFL, if not AFL. Sitting on a bench is not going to make him better.

Of the teams, doing what needs to be done, demons, lions, swans, are stand outs.

Freo and stk starting to put full games together. Both see the kill and execute. Both you would have thought around the same mark as us

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

This team has ptsd from years of losing, and people are criticising a close win?

Port flogged us by 95 last year. A win was all I wanted, and I couldn't care a less how we got it.

I've read people talking down our other wins saying it's all against bottom 8 sides. Those teams have been in the competition's elite bracket for years, and suddenly they are crap?

Please.

This team is only now learning how to win. Enjoy the moment.
If we lost to Richmond, Dogs and Hawks... 2-3 of them would currently be in the 8.

Arrow, the fade outs are there to be seen and discussed. Have been for a while. Are you going to argue otherwise.

Are you going to argue that the same goal run ons that contributed to teague being sacked, and lack of momentum control are ok under Voss. Its not about sacking the coach, its about being realistic at this point of the season. 4-1 flatters the actual performances. Plenty on here agree with me.

I'm suggesting we should look at the way we play, not get caught up in the W. I want to see us become a 4 qtr team, not an inconsistent flash in the pan.

Instead of attacking the poster, which you have track history of doing... enlighten me as to what Dow is not doing right in 2s to warrant his chance, to replace Cripps on the wkend.

Match committee saw fit to select him as sub, which is the ultimate non decision.

Surely he would have been better for his development to play VFL, if not AFL. Sitting on a bench is not going to make him better.

Of the teams, doing what needs to be done, demons, lions, swans, are stand outs.

Freo and stk starting to put full games together. Both see the kill and execute. Both you would have thought around the same mark as us

Arrow i am going to add to this.

There is a huge amount to like as well.

Return of Charlie and Doc is super pleasing.
The midfield dominance as well, sheer weight of possession, is a great step forward.

Moneyball pick of Hewett, just superb.

We need more from Cerra... particularly when the game is on.

Durdin is a player. Quick, great offensive pressure, and we need more like him. Hopefully can develop into a Gresham type with midfield stints.

The dominance, when the game is played on our terms, is exhilirating. However, for developing teams, football is rarely played 100% that way. Its why when the opposition challenges, we look to see if we have the plan and tricks, to stem the flow.

It must be a fitness thing. We stop running and overlapping completely as the game progresses. We couldn't clear the ball out of our defensive half for a long period in the last quarter yesterday, like what happened against hawthorn and the WB. And that was purely because we weren't presenting in space anymore.

There is no way Voss will admit that publicly.
Obviously the club is aware of this because there was a 10 minute period in the third where we were camped in our forward 50 unable to convert. It seemed we went hammer and tong to try break the game before fatigue kicked in but we just couldn't score.

And oh yeah, Hewett is an absolute gun.

Last edited:
Having Levi on the list would be handy right now.

Can play defence, backup forward and even backup ruck.

I don't think we expected TDK to be this far off the pace, sadly.

Think he had an operation to remove a blood clot from his shoulder (whatever that means... super vague). Could mean they had to remove part of his 1st rib if it was thoracic outlet syndrome (which would explain his form), or just get rid of the clot with an open thrombectomy/embolectomy.

Perhaps he just needs more time.

Voss on our potential improvement: “we’ve tried a couple of different things and they haven’t worked re: our approach after half time..”

This is for that poster who said I was wrong that it was our approach after half time which was getting us into trouble, and not that the midfield can only play a single half of footy.

From the coaches mouth. Hope that helps.
decoded: I believe I was right........

The Gestalt principle: the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

While we’re all very happy with the wins, the whole (winning) is not greater than sum of our parts because they are too problematic (players not being able to run out games, getting out coached, players mental fortitude to be able to put a team away, allowing momentum swings)

I can understand that Jimmy, but it’s 5 games into a new regime with some new players, a whole new back staff of coaches and figureheads that make the club tick. Massive changes. They are problems. Some very large and glaring. They are frustrating. But they will be fixed in time. If we keep winning as they are fixed, we need to take the wins and also understand there must be something going right too to allow us to be 4-1. Let’s see if we last.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Round 5 Heart attack Blues hold on again

Back