List Mgmt. 2022 Senior List - The Final TWO Spots

Remove this Banner Ad

Could Hayes be the solution to our wing issues ?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I find the narrative of our wing issues odd.

Ask any bulldogs supporter and I doubt they'd say this guy is a Newnes, LOB, Williamson, Dow, Philp, Setterfield level player

Durdin was a solid pick for needs, a tad perplexed with the Hayes selection

Clearly the club think the wings are still a concern and we won’t be in the market for Free Agents Amon or Brayshaw nor trading draft capital for Sholl at seasons end.

I’d imagine LOB, Cotts and Newnes would be a bit worried by the Hayes selection, and it also doesn’t bode well for Setters on the wing nor Dow indirectly as the club pivot even further away from playing Cerra and Walsh on the wings something I 100% agree with.

In summary we got our main target in Durdin and whilst Ballenden would have made sense, Hayes deserves a crack from his 2s form in a position we are still not 100% locked in on…and most importantly both can play pretty much straight away.

Last edited:
18 month draft terms made it hard with our list availabilities. Would of meant having to delist someone extra at the years end.

I would be confident, we would turnover at least 6 players at years end, so can't see him being selected as really hampering future list management decisions

Unless of course we have a number of targets in the offseason/draft

Clearly the club think the wings are still a concern and we won’t be in the market for Free Agents Amon or Brayshaw not trading draft capital for Sholl at seasons end.

I’d imagine LOB, Cotts and Newnes would be a bit worried by the Hayes selection, and it also doesn’t bode well for Setters on the wing nor Dow indirectly as the club pivot even further away from playing Cerra and Walsh on the wings something I 100% agree with.

In summary we got our main target in Durdin and whilst Ballenden would have made sense, Hayes deserves a crack from his 2s form in a position we are still not 100% locked in on…and most importantly both can play pretty much straight away.

All valid reasons, I just see it as a short term decision

Hayes is a strange selection for reasons that have been discussed.

Doesn’t add to our player pool at VFL level so the club must think he is ready to go at AFL level.

Happy with Durdin and think he can do a job for us similar to Oscar.

Some pretty impressive numbers!

Played a dozen games for the Dogs, maybe won the reserves F & B a few times too?

Now 26, not playing for the money!

1654076691237.png

Are we starting a professional punters club now with Hayes adding to the moodies-?
On a serious note surprising as I didn't see us taking a midfielder but he has been our best VFL mid by a fair margin over the coarse of the year -- although the ex dogs second chance club has a giant smell to it .. surely he in front of dow fogarty setters etc for a call up to the firsts ..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another success story of the Bulldogs' VFL program, Will Hayes arrived at the Kennel with pick 78 in the 2018 NAB AFL Draft. Hayes capped off an outstanding 2018 VFL season, winning the Footscray Bulldogs’ Best and Fairest. The 25-year old midfielder maintained a consistently high standard in 2018, culminating in selection on the wing in the VFL Team of the Year. He ranked second in the VFL in the same season for total uncontested possessions (16 per game) and third for total inside-50s. After five years of hard work at VFL level, he earned an AFL debut in Round 5, 2019. Hayes had two stints in the senior team, playing nine matches - including the Elimination Final against GWS - and impressing with his hard-running work-rate. He managed two senior games for the Bulldogs in season 2020.

Hayes certainly is a cut above VFL, did he get injured though? Hasn’t been seen in the VFL for a few weeks now IIRC.

Either way, he’s a very, very impressive player in the VFL. Reckon he could play on a wing and reckon that’s exactly why we’ve selected him.

Ballenden’s non-selection probably suggests that we’ll get more utility from Hayes than a 3rd string ruck in the immediate term. Which given our KPP woes leaves me bullish on him playing this season. Only thing I’m worried about is the fact he hasn’t played in a few weeks.

I want large men, men who are capable, aggressive but wise and kind, men who order four fried chickens and a coke with no thought for the chickens, or the coke, or humanity - men who wander the earth in search of a club in need, strong, mobile, malleable fellows of no fixed address.........
Sam Durdin lives at 1060 West Addison.....last I knew..but he wrigles around a bit

Durdin was a solid pick for needs, a tad perplexed with the Hayes selection
I would hazzard a guess that it says a LOT about Vossy's thinking re the general midfield depth factor mate - no names no pack drill.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back