News 2022 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

People on here have been pointing out Billing's and Gresham's shortcomings ( as listed in that article ) for ages, and suggesting they are played forward instead. Its never been tried. I guess that's what frustrated me , Ratten seemed to have his plan about how players had to fit, and if it was a round peg in a square hole he persisted.
It has been tried. They had 100 shots at goal between them in 2017 (from memory) and kicked 20 odd goals each!

It'll be intriguing how Ross uses JB & Gresh, probably more so than any other players.

ST Kilda has been put on notice over the pending appointment of Ross Lyon as senior coach, with a leading academic believing the club has a “culture problem”.
Saints chiefs have refused to answer questions about a payment made to a former junior female Fremantle staff member over alleged sexual harassment when Ross Lyon was coach.

The courting of Lyon follows the club’s failed attempt to recruit Collingwood bad boy Jordan De Goey and the recent elevation of Simon Lethlean to chief executive after he left the AFL following an office affair scandal.

Dr Adele Pavlidis, a Griffith University senior lecturer who investigates social issues in sport, said she believed: “St Kilda has a culture problem. They need to start thinking differently about who should be leading.”

Lyon is the short priced favourite, with the St Kilda coaching job among the topics discussed on Lindsay Fox’s $5 million 85th birthday cruise from New York to Montreal in September.

Brett Ratten was sacked as coach last week – just months after he was re-signed for two years – because the club did not believe he would win a premiership.

The Herald Sun has this week put questions to St Kilda president Andrew Bassat, and board members Jennifer Douglas and Sarah Lowe in regards to circumstances surrounding Lyon’s messy exit from the Dockers.

Mr Bassat, co-founder of Seek, and Ms Lowe, a managing partner at top-tier professional services firm Ernst and Young, directed the questions to the club’s public relations team.

The club’s media manager Ana Raica said in response to written questions about Lyon and the Fremantle sexual harassment complaint, or whether Lyon was approached before Ratten was sacked: “The Club is currently in the process of filling the vacancy of its senior coaching role and will provide an update when appropriate.”

Lyon addressed the Fremantle sexual harassment complaint, which resulted in a six-figure payout, last year when his name was floated for the top job at the Carlton football club.

“But what I can say is, and I said at the time when I addressed things in Fremantle, the duress and the hurt that a lot of parties were feeling, I felt terrible,” he said on Footy Classified.

“I need to say this; there was a respectful and confidential resolution reached and designed to protect all parties.

“The reason it’s respectful as well is because it is confidential. My intention is to respect that and not comment any further.”

In 2018, when the sexual harassment matter was exposed, AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan said: “There’s a wide series of options available for getting resolution. There are many cases that are resolved confidentially.”

Dr Pavlidis said St Kilda, and all AFL clubs, needed diversity.

“We don’t just need more women in AFL clubs because some women will toe the line, what we need is a shift in culture,” she said.

“We need people with different backgrounds. If we didn’t have the AFLW then we wouldn’t be having this conversation but they’re just doing so much in speaking out and it shouldn’t be all on those players to be the saving grace of the league”.

Dr Pavlidis suggested St Kilda was unlikely to win a premiership with its current culture. “Something needs to shift if their culture for them to win, with the culture they have at the moment I can’t see them doing well or for them all, including their women’s teams, feeling a strong sense of commitment or belonging,” she said.

Deakin University’s Dr Kim Toffoletti, a leading figure in the study of women in sport, said boards needed to consider gender issues when making senior leadership appointments.

“AFL clubs have to think about the kinds of appointments they make,” she said.

“A reflection on gender issues is required and that’s something that boards need to think about.

“It’s clear there are now stakeholders calling for transparency. Fans are demanding more transparency.”

Lethlean left the AFL in July 2017 after it was revealed he had a relationship with a junior female employee.

He was once touted as a successor to McLachlan, who has announced his plans to leave as AFL chief executive.

De Goey stayed at Collingwood despite a strong offer from the Saints.

His future at the Pies was put under a cloud after he was charged in New York over a nightclub incident and a video of him partying in Bali went viral.

De Goey plead guilty to harassment, which did not carry a conviction, and agreed to undergo anger management training after his charges were downgraded in January.
FMD that is a stinking pile of poo.

I'm talking about what it said about Coffield.
He is 22. So the article is telling me if he has a less than stellar year coming off an ACL he'll be delisted? Please :rolleyes:

Paton just came back from a bad injury. Did we think this season was make or break for him? Its just hyperbolic rubbish.

We know Clark's supposed issues with the weights room and work ethic etc, but he still gets some slack from me after sustaining two car crash-like injuries.

Says "sink or swim" which is a pretty general statement. It looks like he's had a bit of input from the club so perhaps it's what the club feels too. It looks like they felt the same about Clark. If you can open it have a read, it's actually well researched.

Those Merrick comments are so bizarre. It's like he thinks he was personally employed by Ratts and not the club.

No Ernie your job was to actually try to get some improvement which you failed to do.

Can't even refer to his employers by their names. Can't remember a bigger waste of money, can we be done with these types of appointments please?
Completely agree, it's not great professionalism from him and seriously, maybe he doesn't understand the game well enough but we played some awful football the last 2 seasons. It's tough for Ratts, but it's a cut throat industry. A premier league coach wouldn't have even made it this far

It has been tried. They had 100 shots at goal between them in 2017 (from memory) and kicked 20 odd goals each!

It'll be intriguing how Ross uses JB & Gresh, probably more so than any other players.

Gresham kicked 30 and 30 during 2017, and 35 and 20 in 2018.
It was Bilings who had 23 and 36.

ST Kilda has been put on notice over the pending appointment of Ross Lyon as senior coach, with a leading academic believing the club has a “culture problem”.
Saints chiefs have refused to answer questions about a payment made to a former junior female Fremantle staff member over alleged sexual harassment when Ross Lyon was coach.

The courting of Lyon follows the club’s failed attempt to recruit Collingwood bad boy Jordan De Goey and the recent elevation of Simon Lethlean to chief executive after he left the AFL following an office affair scandal.

Dr Adele Pavlidis, a Griffith University senior lecturer who investigates social issues in sport, said she believed: “St Kilda has a culture problem. They need to start thinking differently about who should be leading.”

Lyon is the short priced favourite, with the St Kilda coaching job among the topics discussed on Lindsay Fox’s $5 million 85th birthday cruise from New York to Montreal in September.

Brett Ratten was sacked as coach last week – just months after he was re-signed for two years – because the club did not believe he would win a premiership.

The Herald Sun has this week put questions to St Kilda president Andrew Bassat, and board members Jennifer Douglas and Sarah Lowe in regards to circumstances surrounding Lyon’s messy exit from the Dockers.

Mr Bassat, co-founder of Seek, and Ms Lowe, a managing partner at top-tier professional services firm Ernst and Young, directed the questions to the club’s public relations team.

The club’s media manager Ana Raica said in response to written questions about Lyon and the Fremantle sexual harassment complaint, or whether Lyon was approached before Ratten was sacked: “The Club is currently in the process of filling the vacancy of its senior coaching role and will provide an update when appropriate.”

Lyon addressed the Fremantle sexual harassment complaint, which resulted in a six-figure payout, last year when his name was floated for the top job at the Carlton football club.

“But what I can say is, and I said at the time when I addressed things in Fremantle, the duress and the hurt that a lot of parties were feeling, I felt terrible,” he said on Footy Classified.

“I need to say this; there was a respectful and confidential resolution reached and designed to protect all parties.

“The reason it’s respectful as well is because it is confidential. My intention is to respect that and not comment any further.”

In 2018, when the sexual harassment matter was exposed, AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan said: “There’s a wide series of options available for getting resolution. There are many cases that are resolved confidentially.”

“We don’t just need more women in AFL clubs because some women will toe the line, what we need is a shift in culture,” she said.

“We need people with different backgrounds. If we didn’t have the AFLW then we wouldn’t be having this conversation but they’re just doing so much in speaking out and it shouldn’t be all on those players to be the saving grace of the league”.

Dr Pavlidis suggested St Kilda was unlikely to win a premiership with its current culture. “Something needs to shift if their culture for them to win, with the culture they have at the moment I can’t see them doing well or for them all, including their women’s teams, feeling a strong sense of commitment or belonging,” she said.

Deakin University’s Dr Kim Toffoletti, a leading figure in the study of women in sport, said boards needed to consider gender issues when making senior leadership appointments.

“A reflection on gender issues is required and that’s something that boards need to think about.

“It’s clear there are now stakeholders calling for transparency. Fans are demanding more transparency.”

Lethlean left the AFL in July 2017 after it was revealed he had a relationship with a junior female employee.

He was once touted as a successor to McLachlan, who has announced his plans to leave as AFL chief executive.

His future at the Pies was put under a cloud after he was charged in New York over a nightclub incident and a video of him partying in Bali went viral.

De Goey plead guilty to harassment, which did not carry a conviction, and agreed to undergo anger management training after his charges were downgraded in January.
After reading this I'm thinking we should be going after Dani the junkyard dog Laidley - best of both worlds - diverse and a campaigner as well.

How many articles about other clubs has dr whosit wrote about their issues, really picking the low hanging fruit on this one, anything from when these events occured? Of Lyon at Freo, degoey at Collingwood?

I'm not surprised at all about the article but id expect more from a dr to put a little more
investigative effort in rather than basically saying "this culture is why they are unsuccessful".

Last edited:
How many articles about other clubs has dr whosit wrote about their issues, really picking the low hanging fruit on this one, anything from when these events occured? Of Lyon at Freo, degoey at Collingwood?

I'm not surprised at all about the article but id expect more from a dr to put a little more
investigative effort in rather than basically saying "this culture is why they are unsuccessful".
The guy literally has a doctorate in dinner conversation and is searching for anything to justify his own existence.

The day these people get run out of academia is the day mankind resumes its upward evolutionary trajectory.

The guy literally has a doctorate in dinner conversation and is searching for anything to justify his own existence.

The day these people get run out of academia is the day mankind resumes its upward evolutionary trajectory.
Imma jump in before we get 100 feminists joining the forum, the dr is a woman who writes books on feminism and roller derby

was thinking exactly the same. Wonder is she'd be interested. Has worked with St Kilda as an assitant before iirc.

Had an assistant job and then later on, apparently, was involved in many head jobs around St Kilda as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Give me a spell, what a load of tripe.
Yes, even though that I not sure about Lyon we , the Saints have a very good culture now. I have no problems with what the Saints are doing in terms of women, aboriginals, LIBTQ etc,

This is a good watch. At 2:47 Ross speaks about developing as a person. Understood why Fremantle made the decision and speaks about not wanting to join a club unless every one was on board.

Yeah I was really itching to hear what an academic thinks about my football team - not. They're the last people we need to listen to regarding football. They're the quintessential nerds who are mad at the jocks for living their best lives.

Wow. What a load of utter horse shite.

Alternatively, we change our theme song back to "I do love to be beside the seaside" as it was when i was a kid. We were also known as "the Panthers" which would go with our black backs. ANybody else ever go to the ASaints nights at the St.Kilda Town hall. i think it was the KAO ora footy show, WHen you discovered how little talent our fooballers had as entertainers.

Ross Lyon’s return to coach St Kilda?​

Ross Lyon will be a different person than he was last time he coached the Saints, and did his new “bestie” Eddie McGuire play a role in his likely return to St Kilda?

Scott GullanScott Gullan
Follow

@gullanHeraldSun

4 min read
October 21, 2022 - 12:44PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

8 comments

00:42
Lyon edging closer to surprising Saints reunion

AFL: An unlikely reunion between Ross Lyon and St Kilda seems to be getting closer to a reality after the former coach met with club officials .

AFL

Don't miss out on the headlines from AFL. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Follow
Stand by for Ross Lyon 3.0 to be a warmer and fuzzier version.
The man who was renowned for his prickly press conferences and gruff demeanour will present a different outlook in his anticipated second coming at St Kilda which is good news for 3AW’s Shane McInnes.
Lyon and McInnes famously clashed when he was Fremantle coach after a final in Geelong back in 2013 where he quipped: “You’re quite brilliant, Shane, terrific.”
There has been a considerable warming of Lyon throughout his two years in the media where he became must-listen radio on Triple M’s Sunday Rub and a revelation on Channel 9’s Footy Classified.
“You‘re going to see a different version for sure,” one insider said.
While the hard edge will remain behind-the-scenes because that’s what St Kilda is buying again, they want him to shake the place up, fix the culture and make the football team relevant again.
But the two years in the media has certainly helped Lyon come out of his shell so to speak according to colleagues.
Ross Lyon in less warm and fuzzy times.

Ross Lyon in less warm and fuzzy times.
“You will see more of the real Ross and I think that’s what you saw with the Triple M Ross,” another observer said.
“He was a lot more open, more embracing of people and even cuddly.

“He is very funny Ross, the actual opposite to the hard edge disciplinarian the public saw at St Kilda and Fremantle. He’s actually very humorous, he really can light up the room.”
Lyon always joked he was a “part-timer” in the media and everyone who worked with him isn’t surprised he has gone back into coaching, although they were all aware of how bruised he was after the Carlton experience.
That ended up as a trainwreck after new Carlton president Luke Sayers virtually guarantee him the job following a four-hour meeting only to then have the board overturn his decision and go on to sign Michael Voss.
It made Lyon look silly and he retreated into his shell. Then when opportunities with Essendon and North Melbourne came up this year he politely declined to even engage, partly because he wasn’t a fan of both clubs and their proposed processes, and also the fact he was gun shy.
But St Kilda always held a special place in his heart.
He remained in contact with a lot of St Kilda people despite having done the dirty on them when he left abruptly at the end of 2011, not even telling his own manager about a multimillion-dollar deal he’d done with Fremantle.
As he said on Thursday after a third day of meetings with the Saints hierarchy: “I’m keen, like my heart’s been opened up.”
While Lyon also dabbled in commercial real estate when he returned home to Melbourne after he was sacked from Fremantle before the final round of the 2019 season, jumping into the media was his way of staying relevant.
For those who point to him being three years out of the game as a negative for a coach who was renowned for his tactical acumen, those who worked alongside him over the past two football seasons laugh that off.
“He has kept himself ready, no doubt about that,” a source inside the Lyon camp said.
“He’s on the phone constantly talking to people in footy all the time, he’s across all the trends.”
The timing of club great Lenny Hayes, who spent five years as an assistant coach at the GWS Giants, returning to the fold is also interesting given he’d only recently been spruiking to mates how much he was loving living in the Blue Mountains running beef cattle on a 100 acre farm.
Did Eddie McGuire’s trip on Lindsay Fox’s boat with Saints power brokers help his ‘bestie’ Ross Lyon with the coaching job?

Did Eddie McGuire’s trip on Lindsay Fox’s boat with Saints power brokers help his ‘bestie’ Ross Lyon with the coaching job?
With another of Lyon’s former players Jason Blake now on the Saints board and Justin Koschitzke also set to move back to the town in a role at the new Danny Frawley Centre, there is a sense of the old band being brought back together.
Geelong did that last year, bringing back a handful of favourite sons into the football operation and we saw what happened there.
The role of Eddie McGuire in the Lyon resurrection can’t be underestimated. The pair’s relationship blossomed on the Footy Classified set where they worked together on Wednesday nights.
McGuire helped Lyon get used to the world of television and they became “besties”, which puts weight to one conspiracy theory that the former Collingwood president had some fingerprints over the masterplan at St Kilda.
It was no coincidence that the timing of Ratten’s dismissal, just three months after he’d been handed a new two-year contract, came after St Kilda president Andrew Bassat had just returned from a luxury cruise from New York to Montreal to celebrate mad Saints’ fan and trucking magnate Lindsay Fox’s 85th birthday.
Another business heavyweight with a love for the Saints, Gerry Ryan, was also on the boat and you can imagine the sorry state of another wasted year at Moorabbin was discussed between the three.

More Coverage​

‘Heart’s opened up’: Lyon puts ball in St Kilda’s courtRecruiting calls that left Saints in no-man’s landInside the Saints bid to lure Lyon
And who else was on the boat? Lyon’s new best friend McGuire.
While we know Eddie would never put his nose into another club’s business, we’re sure if he was asked for his opinion he may have offered some positive vibes about Lyon 3.0.

Wow. What a load of utter horse shite.
This is the sort of crap the media play - any little mishap that has come up in a person's life is brought back to life.
I didn't like the way Ratten was sacked and how they said they supported him - but in no way should the media savage us for some story line.

This why I can't handle a lot of the media pundits , who make a narrative to get a headline.

Universities need to justify their ridiculous private funding somehow. This is why there are (and I'm serious about this) over 50 different gender associations...which is at least 40 too many.
This is a an article with a vested self interest in procuring and keeping the money intact, as well as keeping stakeholders happy. The more over-thought divisive crap these "capital intellects" can spit out, the more tax write offs for the billionaires coercing minds and policy. It's a manipulative piece and nu-Indoctrination 101.
It takes balls and vulva's of steel to think for yourself these days.
My opinion: That article has nothing to do with footy...but man, has it pissed me off 😆

Remove this Banner Ad

News 2022 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back