2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nathan Wilson’s name popped up again in media as someone we are considering as a Weller replacement while injured.

Appears to be having a good WAFL season.

HALF-BACK FLANK – NATHAN WILSON (Peel Thunder)
He is just so poised and creative with the ball in hands that he's such a weapon for Peel coming off the half-back line. He's clearly good enough to be playing AFL and adding to his 151 games, but it's just a tough Fremantle Dockers team to break into. That's to Peel's benefit and he was tremendous in the win against Perth on Saturday with 28 possessions, nine marks, three tackles and three inside 50s”.

52A8ED70-42CE-49B2-8A63-2945872FF266.jpeg

The tough thing about recruiting these mature guys is it's hard to imagine them moving themselves and families across the country for 1 potential year.
You think they would often be after at least a 2 year deal.

These are the kind of guys that I would be wanting on one year deals only.

Apparently buddy and jesinta relocating to the Gold Coast...

Sydney reportedly need Buddy off their books to afford Dusty so that could explain it. Could this be another Casboult situation playing out for us? Levi 'retired' from Carlton at the end of last year and moved to Kingscliff before we were able to coax him into playing another season for us. Could we potentially do the same thing with Buddy considering he'll become a free agent next month? Let's not forget Buddy and Dew were premiership teammates in 2008 and obviously know each other well. I know Bud is a big fan of Izak Rankine and Jesinta has previously said in the past that she would like Buddy to play for the Suns so maybe it is possible. If they're going to be here next year anyway, why not play for the Suns where you can potential have a crack at another premiership? I'll just leave this here:

7ah6fob.jpg

Sydney reportedly need Buddy off their books to afford Dusty so that could explain it. Could this be another Casboult situation playing out for us? Levi 'retired' from Carlton at the end of last year and moved to Kingscliff before we were able to coax him into playing another season for us. Could we potentially do the same thing with Buddy considering he'll become a free agent next month? Let's not forget Buddy and Dew were premiership teammates in 2008 and obviously know each other well. I know Bud is a big fan of Izak Rankine and Jesinta has previously said in the past that she would like Buddy to play for the Suns so maybe it is possible. If they're going to be here next year anyway, why not play for the Suns where you can potential have a crack at another premiership? I'll just leave this here:

7ah6fob.jpg
Interesting timing given they will be negotiating with the Swans for a new contract. Trying to bump the price up a bit maybe?

7ah6fob.jpg
The problem is we can’t afford him word is he turned down a $500k offer from the swans and is wanting $700k - 750k minimum which would get the deal done problem is that’s a hell of a lot of cap space gone when our priority should be re-signing Rowelly and Ando to long term deals next season.

No to Buddy but let’s coax some younger cheaper players like Marc Lock

The problem is we can’t afford him word is he turned down a $500k offer from the swans and is wanting $700k - 750k minimum which would get the deal done problem is that’s a hell of a lot of cap space gone when our priority should be re-signing Rowelly and Ando to long term deals next season.
Signing Buddy for one year wouldn't affect our ability to re-sign Rowell and Anderson though. Both Rowell and Anderson are already contracted for the 2023 season and hypothetically adding Buddy to our list for the 2023 season alone won't affect our ability to pay Rowell or Anderson from 2024 onwards when they are off contract. I think the bigger question would be whether we can afford him in 2023 but then at the same time we reportedly pulled out of the running for Dustin Martin over the weekend which suggests we may have a fair amount of cap space sitting there if we want to use it.

I wonder if re-signing Luko on a four year deal and reportedly negotiating with Rankine for a four year extension has something to do with our pursuit of Dusty or others like Buddy? Backloading extensions for Luko and Ranks does open the door for us to bring a notable vet like Buddy for a year or two without hurting our ability to keep the youngsters long term.
No to Buddy but let’s coax some younger cheaper players like Marc Lock
Right? I swear some people will never be happy unless we chase a Brownlow Medallist in his prime... but only if he doesn't cost too much 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If buddy signs I could see us paying 500 and the afl handing him the old ambassador cash on top of it, that’s best case scenario outside of that I would personally love having him he’s one of the best to ever lace up a pair of boots and finally we might be able to get decent crowds in the door
But if it costs us re signing Rowell, Anderson or ranks then there’s no point

Signing Buddy for one year wouldn't affect our ability to re-sign Rowell and Anderson though. Both Rowell and Anderson are already contracted for the 2023 season and hypothetically adding Buddy to our list for the 2023 season alone won't affect our ability to pay Rowell or Anderson from 2024 onwards when they are off contract. I think the bigger question would be whether we can afford him in 2023 but then at the same time we reportedly pulled out of the running for Dustin Martin over the weekend which suggests we may have a fair amount of cap space sitting there if we want to use it.

I wonder if re-signing Luko on a four year deal and reportedly negotiating with Rankine for a four year extension has something to do with our pursuit of Dusty or others like Buddy? Backloading extensions for Luko and Ranks does open the door for us to bring a notable vet like Buddy for a year or two without hurting our ability to keep the youngsters long term.

Right? I swear some people will never be happy unless we chase a Brownlow Medallist in his prime... but only if he doesn't cost too much 😂
Pulled out of the running? We were never in the running for Dusty.

We also have no need for Buddy. Even its for one year, it's a waste of money for a stop gap when we have real holes that need to be fixed long term. We need defenders and we probably need another A grade mid. That is much more important that a then 36 year key forward who is starting to slow down considerably and is no guarantee to improve our team.

The point of this list build is to win flags in 2024 and beyond.
Don't think Dusty or Franklin helps this.

This is where the caveat of needing to promote the game in QLD may potentially impact on our decisions from a pure performance perspective.

Pulled out of the running? We were never in the running for Dusty.
Not according to Jon Ralph. According to him we stopped chasing Dusty on the weekend.

The point of this list build is to win flags in 2024 and beyond.
Don't think Dusty or Franklin helps this.

This is where the caveat of needing to promote the game in QLD may potentially impact on our decisions from a pure performance perspective.
Did a 34 year Luke Hodge not contribute to Brisbane's progression a few years ago? I still think there's a place for vets on a list when you're trying to get a young list to make the jump into the top 8. Like you said, there's also the promotion element that comes with Buddy.

Not according to Jon Ralph. According to him we stopped chasing Dusty on the weekend.

Did a 34 year Luke Hodge not contribute to Brisbane's progression a few years ago? I still think there's a place for vets on a list when you're trying to get a young list to make the jump into the top 8. Like you said, there's also the promotion element that comes with Buddy.
Yes he made a contribution, but buddy is not Luke Hodge. Not even close.
We don't need buddy, it's a waste of money when we have glaring holes on our list.

This is the original sin our club was built on - grabbing a big name who came for the wrong reasons.

At least GAJ was in his prime and gave great service on the field. These other 2 have bigger question marks over their ability to perform given motivation/age and how much prime they have left.

If we finished top 6 this year and we were looking close to being a contender, Buddy and Dusty would make sense. But we arent, we aren't a finals team yet, we need some more cake before we start adding cherries on top.
Wrong age bracket for us to be chasing, we need a few more of those 24-28 year olds that are professional and help steer this young group towards that flag.

I still think rankine stays but if he doesn't maybe we go hard at dusty. I get the whole build the list with the young group we have but we need to be having success now or these young guys will start to lose faith. I'm predicting an announcement at the main training session to the group that he's locked in for 2 years🤞

If we finished top 6 this year and we were looking close to being a contender, Buddy and Dusty would make sense. But we arent, we aren't a finals team yet, we need some more cake before we start adding cherries on top.
Wrong age bracket for us to be chasing, we need a few more of those 24-28 year olds that are professional and help steer this young group towards that flag.
So if we had an extra two or three wins on the board right now (6th placed Fremantle currently sit on 12 wins) then you'd want Buddy? I accept that we're likely going to miss finals this year but that's a pretty small margin to go from 'absolutely not' to he's the 'cream on the cake'. Could you not argue that adding a 'cream on the cake' type of player could take you from the fringes of the top 8 (where we currently are) into a comfortable finals participant? That's essentially what Brisbane did with Luke Hodge who played in their first finals campaign back in 2019 and they've been a top 4 team in the league since.

I would take Dusty if he was receptive to it, especially if Rankine does head off to a big deal elsewhere. I may be in the minority but you can't put a price on that kind of experience and talent even if he is late on on his career. Play him 70-30 forward to midfield, we would be a much better team with him in it IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back