2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiorini contract is back ended. I could speculate, his average salary is 400-450K, 500K max.

Not defending list management but there is a logical explanation. Some clubs like Eagles took 10% cut across the list when salary cap was cut due to covid 2 years ago. Most clubs decided to defer/back end contracts. There was basically 1.5M cap reduction that clubs had to accommodate in that time. Hence Brodie, Fiorini, Macpherson and I suspect others have/had back ended contracts.

Last edited:
We’ve overpaid so many mediocre players.

Guys that should be on 300-400k are getting 500k.

That, as opposed to the real big contracts is what’s really crippled our cap situation.

It's a vicious circle we are hopefully almost at the end of - guys like McPherson and Fiorini probably had to back end their contracts to fit in players like Brodie who had back ended their contracts.

When you actually have good players you need to pay them good money and the average players need to fall into line or GTFO

Rankine update from Ralphy:

“Their offer (GC) is around $650,000 a season with the club emphatic it will not match that $800,000 offer after overpaying so often before to retain talent at almost any cost.

That kind of offer would be financially irresponsible and see him paid well in excess of the game’s elite small forwards including Shai Bolton, Kysaiah Pickett, Tom Papley and Luke Breust.”

“As recently as 10 days ago Gold Coast believed they had their man.
Izak Rankine’s contract was effectively signed and sealed, the only real sticking point whether he signed on for two years or an extended deal of up to four seasons.

Essendon had given it their best shot — up to $800,000 on a long-term deal — and Rankine had made it clear he wasn’t leaving”.

“Heck, why would he when he had only months back bought a house just minutes from Metricon Stadium?

When his partner was enjoying Gold Coast life after a summer move north, and he was playing the best football of his career”.

“Especially when he loved his coach Stuart Dew and the culture being built around this young group of Gold Coast kids.

These past 10 days have been discomforting and strange and perplexing for the Suns, who fear Rankine might be drifting away from them just when club and player had turned a corner.

Essendon’s cash didn’t turn Rankine’s head but the Adelaide offer as revealed by the Herald Sun’s Marc McGowan the realm of $800,000 a year over five seasons — somehow has done exactly that.

He isn’t gone but he has a huge decision to make on heading back to South Australia.
Despite the clear best course of action signing a new deal to remain at the club that has done so much for his professionalism and maturity”.

“Rankine has a complicated relationship with family members back in Adelaide, and has thrived this past year without some of the distractions that would be present back in SA.

People close to him have advised him that returning to Adelaide — with the spotlight and family dynamics — would not be in his best interests.

His management company W Sports represents both Eddie Betts and Tyson Stengle, with both players’ experience with the Adelaide football club decidedly mixed.

Rankine’s manager Dimi Parhas recently told senior Suns staff including coach Stuart Dew he would not move another indigenous player back to Adelaide given his recent experiences”.

At the same time you can't pay Rankine the same as what Touk is on, that's just a recipe for disaster with no salary cap integrity.
Oh absolutely. I respect that we haven’t given in and f*cked our cap even further by just giving him a blank cheque. It’s an astromical amount for a small forward.

Just frustrating that our list team simply can’t use trade period as an opportunity to push the list to the next level because we are always to busy getting bent over. Particularly when we are on the cusp and just need one or two more mature players to get there IMO.

Hey Ranks, its only a pay cut of $1500/week after tax not including management fees. Just stick around dude. Taste the first ever club Premiership that you could help achieve.

side deal to fiorini telling him he must pass on 150k of his salary to rankine, via gift vouchers of course, otherwise he gets traded to norf

He could do it in PS vouchers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

side deal to fiorini telling him he must pass on 150k of his salary to rankine, via gift vouchers of course, otherwise he gets traded to norf
I have no doubt we could come up with extra 150K. Question is, is it right thing to do by the club. Most fans scream yes! I am a bit annoyed if Rankine goes only for money. Moving back to Adelaide could spell trouble for Rankine. Common, make a decision.

Last edited:
This is why I am most disappointed to lose Rankine.

I still have zero faith in Cameron and co. to not absolutely f*ck the situation even more. Every team loses players they want to keep, but the best teams manage to minimise the impact by making other shrewd moves.

If we come out of trade period with pick #4, #8, whatever Brisbanes first pick is, and a bunch of points for 2023 while losing Rankine, and Cameron stands up and says “well we have opened up our draft hand for next year and added a bit of financial flexibility”, while not actually improving the list, I’m gonna flip

“Heck, why would he when he had only months back bought a house just minutes from Metricon Stadium?

When his partner was enjoying Gold Coast life after a summer move north, and he was playing the best football of his career”.

“Especially when he loved his coach Stuart Dew and the culture being built around this young group of Gold Coast kids.

These past 10 days have been discomforting and strange and perplexing for the Suns, who fear Rankine might be drifting away from them just when club and player had turned a corner.

Essendon’s cash didn’t turn Rankine’s head but the Adelaide offer as revealed by the Herald Sun’s Marc McGowan the realm of $800,000 a year over five seasons — somehow has done exactly that.

He isn’t gone but he has a huge decision to make on heading back to South Australia.
Despite the clear best course of action signing a new deal to remain at the club that has done so much for his professionalism and maturity”.

“Rankine has a complicated relationship with family members back in Adelaide, and has thrived this past year without some of the distractions that would be present back in SA.

People close to him have advised him that returning to Adelaide — with the spotlight and family dynamics — would not be in his best interests.

His management company W Sports represents both Eddie Betts and Tyson Stengle, with both players’ experience with the Adelaide football club decidedly mixed.

Rankine’s manager Dimi Parhas recently told senior Suns staff including coach Stuart Dew he would not move another indigenous player back to Adelaide given his recent experiences”.

Enormous pressure from family. They want him nice and close with all that $$$$. Meal ticket anyone?
He loves GC and the Club and does not want to leave.
SO I'M TOLD.

Enormous pressure from family. They want him nice and close with all that $$$$. Meal ticket anyone?
He loves GC and the Club and does not want to leave.
SO I'M TOLD.

Yeah I'm worried about that as well, hopefully he's got some good people near him.

Yep, I’ve heard the exact same thing. His own manager is supposedly advising him that he’s making the wrong decision.

None of this sounds good.
If correct, then decent chance that this does not work out football wise for anyone.
Not us, and not Ranks and the Crows either.
Very hard to play your best footy when off-field is unsettling.

Hoping he signs the 2 year deal and then see how things go.
SA money will still be there if he plays well.

It's tough when you are 22 yo you would measure yourself by how much you earn compared to your peers. When you get older and have a clearer understanding of your personal values and priorities it's a lot easier to stay in a good situation for less than move to an uncertain situation for more cash.

If he was happy with the GC deal before hearing the Crows deal you would hope he would do what he know would make him happy for his sake.

Good thing Mr Bods isn't around these days, he'd be fuming at this news.

Never thought Rankine would be one that would run for money, but.. here we are. Didn't even think he was the type that would be home sick. If at the start of the year, there was Rankine and Luko OOC... who would be the most likely to head home; I doubt any of us would have said the former.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back