2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginbey?

GOLD COAST

Draft picks: 5, 45, 71, 74

List needs: Talented midfielder-forward

Who could be available at first pick: Reuben Ginbey, Bailey Humprey, Mattaes Phillipou

Who’s in the mix after that: Unknown

The Suns are on the hunt for a player at the top of the draft who has got the flexibility to play multiple positions, with big-bodied Western Australia midfielder Reuben Ginbey one such player who has caught their attention. Victorian midfielder-forward Bailey Humphrey could also fit the bill, as could South Australian goalkicking midfielder Mattaes Phillipou. The Suns have spoken to Ollie Hollands – the brother of Elijah Hollands – but he is not expected to command a top-10 pick. Gold Coast did have pick 7 as well, but gave that away to Geelong as part of the Jack Bowes trade which relieved some salary cap pressure. When pick 45 comes around it will be best available. Clubs only expect around 50 players to be selected in the national draft.

Latest word: Gold Coast loaded up on future picks in next year’s draft during the trade period in anticipation of some top Academy prospects coming through including Jed Walter, Jake Rogers, Ethan Read and Will Graham.

ICL_EDT_2022_76557_Cals-Phantom-Form-Guide_August-Update_FA_8.jpg

188cm/81kg
10/9/04
East Perth/Western Australia
Midfielder/defender
July ranking: 10

There's a watch on how high Ginbey could go on draft night. The West Australian has some high-end AFL attributes: he's physical, versatile in the midfield and able to play as a third tall defender, powerful and capable of exciting things. The other factor is his upside – there looks to be plenty of growth in Ginbey, who was WA's most valuable player in the carnival. Ginbey has been a real riser this season already.

Hamish Brayshaw who was his teammate at East Perth this year on Backchat podcast said “Ginbey is a gun, a star, captain of Wesley College (PSA school football), won WA MVP, played half back went into the midfield and dominated the carnival and for East Perth League. He’s 190cm left footer, quick, strong coachable… star”

189cm 85kg frame at Year 18. Something to work with.

Personally I prefer Hollands, Humphrey before him but wouldn’t be upset.

Ollie hollands, it's starting to seem logical
At what point do you draft for list needs as opposed to the best available player? If an actual list need is ranked 10th overall and you have pick 5, do you just draft the list need to give yourself a better chance of playing finals in the future?

If Ollie Hollands last name was Smith we wouldn't even be talking about him at pick 5 and you can't change my mind.

I don't mind Ginbey at all though. Pretty happy with what we'll have available at our pick. Mackenzie, Humphrey, Ginbey and Tsatas all good fits.

If Ollie Hollands last name was Smith we wouldn't even be talking about him at pick 5 and you can't change my mind.

I don't mind Ginbey at all though. Pretty happy with what we'll have available at our pick. Mackenzie, Humphrey, Ginbey and Tsatas all good fits.
Exactly, he isn't in the convo for a top 10 pick and reaching for him with better talent around would make me sick.

If we have a potential top 5-10 academy player in next years draft as has been mentioned ( I don’t know how accurate that is as I have t seen any underage footy) we should be looking to trade out our 1st rounder for next year. Having said that I hope we don’t until next years trade period for the following reasons

1. We don’t know what the pick might be, we all hope it’s a pick in the teens but with the Suns who knows it could be pick 3

2. Craig Cameron would **** it up 100% and I am hoping he is fired before he can do more damage next year

What would you guys think of trading back to 10 with Carlton? 10+F2 for 5 or something of the sort... Seems apparent from every rumour that you'll be targeting Hollands or at least be looking at options to get him given his connection with Elijah, gives u an extra 2nd for points next year for ur academy boys too. From reports Ollie will be around that 10-14 mark on draft night and we're rumoured to be most likely to grab him if we hold onto our pick 10.

Seems a win win to me?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ollie would add something to the group more than just on the field, it helps strengthen bonds, synergy amongst the group which after Bowes leaving maybe is something we need to look at. Not to mention his ability to use his aerobic capacity as a weapon is something our team could use. It makes enough sense to me, but so does adding some firepower to our forward lines, it's not that one choice is right, one is wrong, it's a grey area.

What would you guys think of trading back to 10 with Carlton? 10+F2 for 5 or something of the sort... Seems apparent from every rumour that you'll be targeting Hollands or at least be looking at options to get him given his connection with Elijah, gives u an extra 2nd for points next year for ur academy boys too. From reports Ollie will be around that 10-14 mark on draft night and we're rumoured to be most likely to grab him if we hold onto our pick 10.

Seems a win win to me?
If we were sure that Hollands was who we were after and hadn’t already loaded up for next year and needed the points then perhaps. But after Carlton’s (SOS) behaviour with Martin I doubt even our idiot trades manager would help you out

If we have a potential top 5-10 academy player in next years draft as has been mentioned ( I don’t know how accurate that is as I have t seen any underage footy) we should be looking to trade out our 1st rounder for next year. Having said that I hope we don’t until next years trade period for the following reasons

1. We don’t know what the pick might be, we all hope it’s a pick in the teens but with the Suns who knows it could be pick 3

2. Craig Cameron would * it up 100% and I am hoping he is fired before he can do more damage next year

there’s no reason to trade into this draft any more than what we are, it’s a very weak draft. Also I think the list team’s strategy is to trade nexts years 1st for an established player (Or at least that’s what i gather from their interviews)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sorry to interrupt but just on the Ginbey chat, I mentioned him in here about a month ago as a good fit and I have heard the Suns are quite keen. He would be a great fit in my opinion among your other young stars. He reminds me of a mix of Maynard/Crisp from the Pies. Left footer, runs all day with a bit of pace and a great competitor.

If you guys draft him, the past three drafts alone netting Hollands, Andrew and Ginbey with top 10 picks gives the Suns one of the best collection of young talent in the league without even thinking about King, Rowell, Anderson, Lukosius, Ainsworth, Davies, Powell, Jeffrey, Flanders, Moyle ect.

This young group is going to take the Suns to their maiden finals appearance guaranteed alongside the core group of Miller, Witts, Swallow, Chol, Weller, Collins.

Seems a win win to me?

Put your future first on the table and that might start a conversation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back