2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that may work in our favour is Hawthorn will be so bad next year, I don't know if King and Anderson will want to go there and play through another couple of years of getting belted around.
Good point. They have hopefully done the hard work at the Suns.

They could also, just maybe, want to make their own name. Being the first premiership captain at the Suns might appeal more to Noah than being involved in another Hawthorn flag.

Good point. They have hopefully done the hard work at the Suns.

They could also, just maybe, want to make their own name. Being the first premiership captain at the Suns might appeal more to Noah than being involved in another Hawthorn flag.
Hawthorn are finally going through a pretty big rebuild but things can turn quickly for them being a Victorian club.

They'll go incredibly hard at Noah and Matt next year but we are in a position to match any bid and in a better position in making finals.

But the bright side, if Noah asks to move to Hawthorn we might be able to get Harley Reid

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hawthorn are finally going through a pretty big rebuild but things can turn quickly for them being a Victorian club.

They'll go incredibly hard at Noah and Matt next year but we are in a position to match any bid and in a better position in making finals.

But the bright side, if Noah asks to move to Hawthorn we might be able to get Harley Reid

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Look forward to seeing Anderson on Reid for the next 15 years, with Anderson in the Red, Gold and Blue.

Yup
I don't know about Rowell but it's not even hidden at Waverly that King and Anderson are Hawthorns #1 and #2 targets next year.

The $$$ they have to spend is frightening.

They literally had to front-end Amon's contract to Jack Bowes proportions, and pay a big part of Mitchell and O'Meara salaries to get anywhere near 95%

Expect $5 million over 4 years type offers as Hawthorn next year will have the biggest war chest in the AFL.

Still waiting for Creepy Suns to get back to me on the other 3 top four midfields in the AFL.

Any time you like buddy :chicken:
Don't worry about top 4, if noah, rowelly, hollands all stick it out with touk and witta we will be no.1.

Huge feeling we stick to drafting vic country boys

2021 - Mac Andrew (VICC/Dandenong)
2020 - Elijah Hollands (VICC/Murray)
2019 - Sam Flanders (VICC/Gippsland)

In our range

Bailey Humphrey (VICC/Gippsland)

Fills the MID/FWD flexibility we are looking for, Captain of Gippsland, provides leadership.

Ainsworth & Flanders both from Gippsland. Working out well so far.

Oliver Hollands (VICC/Murray)

Fills a wing spot but can play inside, brother of Elijah makes sense. U18 all Australian.

Yup
I don't know about Rowell but it's not even hidden at Waverly that King and Anderson are Hawthorns #1 and #2 targets next year.

The $$$ they have to spend is frightening.

They literally had to front-end Amon's contract to Jack Bowes proportions, and pay a big part of Mitchell and O'Meara salaries to get anywhere near 95%

Expect $5 million over 4 years type offers as Hawthorn next year will have the biggest war chest in the AFL.

Good players will leave the Suns (see Rankine). Always have, always will.
The best we can do is make the reasons for leaving the basic stuff.
Money, family/partner, the limelight (see Rankine, especially the last two).

If players leave for $200k more per season on a long term deal to a club in their home state that is not winning, what can you do apart from hoping that they never see success?

Good luck to the Hawks but the tear down re-build is a lot easier on paper than it is in real life.
Don't forget that good clubs will be sniffing around their good young players who have not seen success, offering finals and big games. Starting with DGB back to WA and Day back to SA.
The Hawks have won 5, 7 and 8 games the last 3 years and just sent out all their good older players and are looking at a tank job next year. That ain't fun, as we can all attest. Coaches can only sell hope for so long.

Good players will leave the Suns (see Rankine). Always have, always will.
The best we can do is make the reasons for leaving the basic stuff.
Money, family/partner, the limelight (see Rankine, especially the last two).

If players leave for $200k more per season on a long term deal to a club in their home state that is not winning, what can you do apart from hoping that they never see success?

Good luck to the Hawks but the tear down re-build is a lot easier on paper than it is in real life.
Don't forget that good clubs will be sniffing around their good young players who have not seen success, offering finals and big games. Starting with DGB back to WA and Day back to SA.
The Hawks have won 5, 7 and 8 games the last 3 years and just sent out all their good older players and are looking at a tank job next year. That ain't fun, as we can all attest. Coaches can only sell hope for so long.
Watch their membership plummet as well, a large number are quite fickle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watch their membership plummet as well, a large number are quite fickle

All you have to do is check Bay 13, place used to be teeming with them in the first half of the 2010s. Barely any show their face there anymore.

Craig Cameron’s strikes again.

I agree with making clubs pay the contract as it stands if a player moves clubs for a “salary dump.” I think they have those rules in the US.

Raising draft contracts from 2 years up to 3 years is good in theory, but pointless if they can still ask to be traded after one year anyway (like JHF). There is just no penalty for a draft pick to ask for a trade before their initial contract expires. They get to the club they want, possibly on even more money or more years.

AFL need to look at disincentivising teams from poaching players, or make it less appealing for players to leave in their first contract.

Would players be happy to leave if there was a mandatory pay-cut they would be picking up instead of a first round draft wage if they break contract early?

Or would rival clubs still do it if there was a bonus salary fee they would have to pay the clubs they are poaching from on top?

I’m not sure JHF would go crying home and breaking contract if he wasn’t getting a monster deal. And Port would probably wait until his contract was up if picking up JHF this year bit even further into their cap.

Now if both parties agree, that’s different.

Last edited:
I agree with making clubs pay the contract as it stands if a player moves clubs for a “salary dump.” I think they have those rules in the US.

Raising draft contracts from 2 years up to 3 years is good in theory, but pointless if they can still ask to be traded after one year anyway (like JHF). There is just no penalty for a draft pick to ask for a trade before their initial contract expires. They get to the club they want, possibly on even more money or more years.

AFL need to look at disincentivising teams from poaching players, or make it less appealing for players to leave in their first contract.

Would players be happy to leave if there was a mandatory pay-cut they would be picking up instead of a first round draft wage if they break contract early?

Or would rival clubs still do it if there was a bonus salary fee they would have to pay the clubs they are poaching from on top?

I’m not sure JHF would go crying home and breaking contract if he wasn’t getting a monster deal. And Port would probably wait until his contract was up if picking up JHF this year bit even further into their cap.

Now if both parties agree, that’s different.

There is a difference b/w contracted and uncontracted though. Contracted players can't go back into the draft, so the threat of using the psd or national draft is gone.

The bit the AFL would be worried about is a young gun player thinking from the start that they will force themselves out of a club after 1 year. i.e., plan on getting drafted as high as possible, then picking your club after 1 year. Which just might be what JHF did (or it was in the back of his mind at least). No good for anyone except the club that gets picked (suspect Port are pretty happy with themselves).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back