2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great point. Perception is everything when it comes to recruiting for a footy club. How else would Geelong have so much success in recruiting players ahead of the big Melbourne clubs? We need a circuit breaker to really make a statement that we are a desirable club and should be considered by all players looking for a move. Treloar this year could flow into a free agent like Andrew McGrath next year. We just have to get the ball rolling.
McGrath? 🤮
Id rather not attract any best 22 players if we end up with him.

It is an unbelievable result. I just don’t think it’s a result that makes us better until 2025 at earliest…

It’s a big haul for the club. It’s just a normal result for us though—top draft picks and no top players. It’s the distant future, not 2024.

Basically we are offloading depth/cap, (at least that’s how it seems so far) and hoping a new coach is the only thing that held is back as a club + internal growth.

Internal growth is where it's at for the Suns. Thats where the club's improvement will come from. 100% believe the Suns will play finals next season.

Internal growth is where it's at for the Suns. Thats where the club's improvement will come from. 100% believe the Suns will play finals next season.
I think there will be growth too. We just have to hope that our growth is faster than the teams around us.

Really, it’s not growth but consistency. The gap between our floor and ceiling is a lot.

A recruit might be the spark it needs to find that consistency.

But also players like Rowell, Flanders, Luko, King, Ballard, Andrew and even Rosas could gel more and naturally lift. Plus a fully fit Touk Miller for the season, hopefully, and an experienced coach.

Who knows. It’s not impossible, for sure. Plenty of reasons to be optimistic.

Would the Lions be in their premiership window now if the didn’t trade in Neale, Dunkley and Daniher?

And now they are bringing in Doedee.

Internal growth for 80% of your squad, trading in mature best 22 players to get you into your premiership window.

Otherwise your great internal growth players get fed up of waiting and leave…

Last edited:
I think if we can get the team to a finals spot, even if it is 8th, you would see people more likely to come in. So I think if the list shows internal growth, especially next year with a new coach, I think people would be more likely to make the move.
Improvement in players aged 19-23 is realistic
New game plan the other big change.

GWS has to be the example, although it took them half a season to get going and their top end players are better.

I think if we can get the team to a finals spot, even if it is 8th, you would see people more likely to come in. So I think if the list shows internal growth, especially next year with a new coach, I think people would be more likely to make the move.
It just sucks that it seems like we need to get to finals to attract best 22 players, where every other team (including Brisbane with Cameron and Neale) attracts players to help get them to finals.

Makes sense to keep Hollands then?
Not based on watching him this year.

Needs a physical transformation. He carries weight like Jake Stringer and gave about as much effort.

Edit: just looking through the player profiles - there is no way that Charlie Constable and Hollands both weigh 86kg

If this year is the best he can get physically he's got he'll be out of the league in 2 years.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

definitely need more speed, we have no one
I think Weller and Powell and Rankine gave us the superficial perception of speed
It's water under the bridge but it's why McRae saw what Markov could offer a mature defence where his occasional lapses are better hidden
You can train anything but you can't train speed
There's a lot of sad bewildered 15yo's being dumped on the streets out of football academies across all codes all over the World because they just can't run

The blues on their boards trade thread seem to think they are getting Hollands for their F2. I hope that’s not correct and that We are asking them to obtain an early F2 ( North, Hawks)

Thoughts?
That's what Twomey is reporting, and if what Hollands has produced this year, it's probably fair.

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is where Dimma is at his prime..

Oliver the reason we are clearing out players and cash?

Free up Rowell and Anderson for a more attacking roles..
He is on a 7 year 7 million dollar deal at a team well and truly in the window. We have a better chance of building a time machine, going back in time and recruiting Ablett Snr.
Trade radio being stretched into a full day show has created this whole lot of nothing.
Hutchy just looking for clicks.

He is on a 7 year 7 million dollar deal at a team well and truly in the window. We have a better chance of building a time machine, going back in time and recruiting Ablett Snr.
Trade radio being stretched into a full day show has created this whole lot of nothing.
Hutchy just looking for clicks.
No way Oliver is leaving Melbourne. There is nothing happening this trade period, so they will invent stuff.

The blues on their boards trade thread seem to think they are getting Hollands for their F2. I hope that’s not correct and that We are asking them to obtain an early F2 ( North, Hawks)

Thoughts?

Sorry for the intrusion.

I reckon we will land one of those North picks one way or another via the Fisher trade, then pass that on for Hollands.

That will be a pick locked to the end of the first round and not tied to a finishing position.

Seems pretty spot on? Our own future 2nd is unders.

Wait, so in that article it says McLaughlin is unlikely to secure a new deal? If that’s correct, that leaves us with

King
Lukosius
1st year Jed Walter
34 year old Levi
Sam Day

as our entire KPF depth?

Unless they are hoping Moyle can come on quickly as a resting/ruck forward (Dimma liked playing 2 rucks) that’s very unnecessarily thin depth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back